Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,935 Posts
There were numerous Carl Gustaf spare parts available when manufacturing was turned over Husqvarna in 1941 . So , your rifle may have gotten the CG cocking piece when originally made or at some later time . Your single crown on the wrist indicates no major work was done when rearsenaled . Your barrel is probably original unless stamped with a " Crown/C " or other letter , which are usually stamped on the wrist . Also , it could have a civilian replaced barrel . Check for other markings when ever you disassemble it .

Normally , all the bolt parts , buttplate & wood are numbered on the Husqvarna M-38 , but nothing else . Replacement bolt parts may be electric pencil etched . Fully stamped matching M-38's do exist just like the CG m-96's , but are rare . Many rebuilt M-38's are found with mismatched wood .

My 2 Husqvarna M-96's have only the bolt , safety , firing pin & buttplate numbered to match . The few Husqvarna M-96's that I have seen have the wood matched to each other ( 4 digits ) on the edge of the barrel channel , but do not match the receiver . It appears they were matched together before assembly and added as the rifles were made . Strange that both stock sets have matching numbers to each other , but one set has other mismatched 3 digit numbers in the barrel channel . The other set only the 4 digit numbers on the edge . Also , both stock sets have been sanded long ago & have the typical mousey brown finish that we see on beech replacements stocks . One stock has a sanded over crown on the the wrist & the other has none . Both of these rifles have the Soderin diopter sights & 30 m/m civilian disc in the stock cutout . Both barrels gauge 6.49 m/m .

9,935 Posts
Your barrel is marked just like one of mine . I do not know the meaning of the "S" or "4" , but it is not like the " Crown/S " seen on sniper barrels or other rifles rebuilt at Stockholm . The " CO " with 2 dots over the "O" are the initials of Carl Oberg , another inspection officer . See top of page 154 in Crown Jewels . I see this "CO" marking on M-94 & M-96 barrels .

The font of your "5" on the safety is differant . So , most likely a replacement , rather than original .

9,935 Posts
With a 4 digit serial number , you have a replacement receiver for a CG 1898 dated M-96 . Not originally a Husqvarna M-96 that was made for the FSR in 1943 & 1944 . All the Husqvarna FSR M-96's are in the 6xx,xxx to 7xx,xxx range . Still , a neat collectable rifle to have .

9,935 Posts
Yes , the parts with the tilted crowns were used as replacements on your M-96 . The Husqvarna FSR M-96 rifles were built new with parts having the tilted crowns .

9,935 Posts
There were 5000 with the m/43 sights . Similar to the m/38 tangent sight , except with 100 to 800 meter calibrations .

There were 12,000 with the AGJ sights .

Some of the last ones produced had the 3 step m/96 rear sights .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.