Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Swedish Nagant revolver, made by Husqvarna, will safely fire the 7.5mm SWISS revolver ammo? Thanks.
Yes. Have used Swiss ammo in Swedish Nagant many times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.

As you can see they are interchangeable.Good luck,enjoy images.

Kind regards/Peter View attachment 642877 View attachment 642878
Thanks for the replies. I figured as much as the bullet diameter in the Swiss 7.5mm is .315 and the Swedish 7.5mm is.325, or so I have read online. I see you are saying Swiss and Swedish ammo are interchangeable, but I'm wondering about shooting a .325 bullet in a bore designed for .315. Is my info wrong, or can you educate me further, as I cannot translate the documents you posted? Thanks.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
The Swedish bullets are not .325".

7.5mm = .295" bore (land) diameter.

Slug your barrel and you won't have to guess, yes?

Dutch

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello Sirs,

the answer is not so easy, because 7.5mm barrel could be different than other 7.5mm barrel and the 7.5mm cartridge bullet size could be different like other (SWISS x SWED). I have measured both, 1882 SWISS and 1887 SWED revolvers, just with a caliper from muzzle, and some cartridges too.

1882 SWISS revolver: barrel size in grooves is .315.
1882 SWISS original FMJ cartridge: bullet dia .315.
1882 modern Fiocchi FMJ cartridge: bullet dia .309.

1887 SWED revolver: size in grooves is .308.
1887 SWED original cast (!) cartridge: bullet dia is .326

Generally - important to decide between jacketed and cast lead bullets. This is the point !
For jacketed ones: the same size or little smaller like barrel grooves size. For cast ones: the same size or little bigger like barrel grooves size. My opinion for cast ones: bigger is better, the barrel is able to format it. The limit is the dia of cylinder front holes.

Conclusions and recommendation:
You can shoot original modern Fiocchi FMJ (.309) cartrigdes in both revolvers.
You can shoot original cast (!) (.326) cartrigdes in both revolvers.
Do not shoot original SWI military .315 FMJ cartridges in SWE revolver.

The best are reloading ones (question of price :) and you can customize it for you), for example my variant: LEE .314 moulds cast bullets. I size to .313, weight is about 87 gr. With 4,0gr. of ACC No.5 I measured about 700fps. Ch4D 7.5mm Swiss Nagant dies for FL resizing and seating, no crimp.

Bye Ales

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have said this before and l say it again. The original bullets are .325 for the Swedish Husqvarna Nagant and nothing else.Dutchman is totally wrong about this believe me.I have measured Norma bullets and Geco bullets with dial caliper and come to this conclusion.They who argue with me on this matter don`t know what they`r talking about. Nagantptr 001.jpg

·
2,661 Posts
Borrowed info:

I use full length 32-20 brass in mine + a 313-115gr Ranchdog boolit.

The thing that makes the Nagant revolver special is that there is no shoulder/throat in the cylinder. It is bored clean through.
To compensate for that a boolit that fits the cylinder is used in combination with a big forcing cone in the barrel to squeeze the boolit from .325 to .308.

In the full length 32-20 brass i overcame the chamber "wobble" driving the boolit directly into the forcing cone.

I load 15 grains of SW#1 a card wad and then the boolit. To hold the boolit in place i run the front of the case into a .30M1 die.
Above, what he's talking about is using full length .32-20 Winchester case with the bullet seated deep into the case, very nearly like the Russian 7.62x38R Nagant, in order to compensate for the lack of a cylinder throat.

Size of the bullet: yes, as xxxxxx wrote, some sources told us .325 is the size of cast Swedish bullet, barrel is about .308. Its brother, 7.5mm Swiss ordnance cartridge, is about .315 and the barrel of M1882 Swiss revolver is .295/.315.
In case you make cartridge with cast bullet about .315", you can use it in both ones.
In case you want to make a copy of original SWE cartridge, try to find some .325 moulds. But in practise anything between .308 to .325 for the SWE one.

My way is with the .313 bullet from LEE .314 SWC 90g. moulds + from 3.8g. to 4.8g. of CC No.5. Cut 32-20 brass are OK.
Today, in the U.S., this cartridge is not being loaded with .325" bullets. Original Swedish military bullets were a heeled type with a .325" major diameter. In the U.S. there is no source for a heeled bullet with a .314" heel and .325" diameter. There are no bullet molds made for this cartridge and there are no commercial bullets that mimic the original Swedish 7.5mm cartridge. And since this discussion is about shooting the m/1887 today it is really a moot point what the original bullet was. We have to deal with what is available now and we need to understand why there is a difference [of opinion] on this matter. You will be shooting .312" to 314" diameter bullets originally designed for the .32 S&W and .32-20 Winchester.

A little tutorial on heeled bullets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heeled_bullet

The legacy of heeled bullets is the cause of confusion among many shooting enthusiasts over the actual physical diameters of the bullets they fire in their guns.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello Sirs,
I am glad we understand each other. One speech was about original historical cartridge and other speech about modern replacement. On the other hand, the question was:

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much as the bullet diameter in the Swiss 7.5mm is .315 and the Swedish 7.5mm is.325, or so I have read online. I see you are saying Swiss and Swedish ammo are interchangeable, but I'm wondering about shooting a .325 bullet in a bore designed for .315. Is my info wrong, or can you educate me further, as I cannot translate the documents you posted? Thanks.
So the correct answer could be: yes, original military bullets were .315 for SWISS and .325 for SWED, but you can shoot "suitable" cast lead bullet from both. "Suitable" = about .310-.315. SWISS barrel is .315 and SWED .308 in grooves.

(1) Generally, my opinion is, for oldtimers, it is very important to study details of original military cartridges, brass and bullet size a especially. And whether I want to developed reloaded cartridge for, let´s say, 130years old gun, my the first step is to find what brass and bullet I can use, as o copy of original one. In case original Swedish revolver M1887 was constructed for cast .325 (heel) bullets, you can copy it and use the cartridge with .325 cast bullet, if you are able to do it. This revolver drum and barrel throat is constructed for it.

(2) HEEL is not HELL ...
... yes I agree, the moulds for heel bullets are rare, maybe no ones are on the market. But there is one alternative way how to make heel bullets in modern reloading process. To cast standard bigger bullet, here .325 one, expand the brass more and seat this bigger bullet, and to format the brass with bullet to right size in FL die again. The bigger bullet is compressed to something like heel bullet. I do that for another historical caliber.
But honestly, I agree again, why to do it so complicated if I can successfully use standard cast .313 bullets for Swedish revolver reloading??

Bye Ales

·
2,661 Posts
In case original Swedish revolver M1887 was constructed for cast .325 (heel) bullets,
The original Swedish bullets were not cast. They were swedged soft lead.

And they were paper patched.

1- los patron 7.5 Swedish
2- m/1887 original Swedish 7.5 cartridge, paper patched
3- 7.5 Swiss by Fiocchi

Dutch

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi
The first cartridges for the Swedish Nagant revolver was manufactured in France by "Gevelot".They were paper patched.Later on Gustav Genschow(Geco)began to produce cartridges with swaged bullets .325 without paper patching.These cartridges are the most common for this revolver.My original boxes are made in spring 1941 and sold to the Swedish military the same year.They are just as fresh as they were then,producing 820fps over a chronograph.The brass is excellent(as mr Burns use to say)and l can reload the cases about 20 times before splitting,maybe more if annealing them.Norma bullets are also without paper patching .325.
Nagantpatroner 002.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts