Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Husqvarna and Kahles had a business relationship at some point. One of my Husqvarna sporting rifles has a Kahles variable scope that also has Husqvarnas name on it. This is the first time I've come across a Kahles scope with a firearms company name on it which I think is rather interesting. My first Steyr SSG P1 came with a Kahles ZFM scope as a package. Any forum members come across a Kahles optic so marked?
Tire Bicycle part Font Rim Automotive tire

Bicycle part Gun accessory Trigger Auto part Metal

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Hi Mr. M! Interesting marking, nice era scope & handsome rig! Possibly the "Husqvarna" nomenclature was applied after Kahles factory production. Otherwise, seems to me it would match the engraving or at least in style. Just a guess.
What's the chambering? 30-06 is always a safe guess! :)
Thanks for the Thread, which I'll be interested in hearing the experts weigh in upon.
Best!
John

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
Apparently Husqvarna and Kahles had a business relationship at some point. One of my Husqvarna sporting rifles has a Kahles variable scope that also has Husqvarnas name on it. This is the first time I've come across a Kahles scope with a firearms company name on it which I think is rather interesting. My first Steyr SSG P1 came with a Kahles ZFM scope as a package. Any forum members come across a Kahles optic so marked? View attachment 3906868
View attachment 3906867
i want it? wow!
Pecars i got> ...RELATIONSHIP TOO.
40 years collecting husky facts, research nothing in adds or littered in mags.?
"GREAT FIND MORE RESEARCH NEEDED FOR SURE"!
love the net !<><

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iskra my rifle is a Model 1640 in 30-06. Also interesting with this scope is that it has a first focal plane No1 reticle. Power power adjusting rings has stops halfway between the power settings. I don't know how old this scope is, probably 50s/60s vintage and the optics are as clear as the day it was made.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Thanks for the chambering update! Your rifle was made in '59 or later. "A" SN suffix as I recall, designating alloy bottom metal. It's a great package and looks to be in super condition!
The 1640 series CRF reflects my view of the mauser genre action pinnacle, though I appreciate other models. ! Most of my cmall 1640 clustering are '06 as yours. But one each in: 7x57, 8x57, 308 Norma Mag & Husky 5000 (1640 action) in 7mm Rem Mag.
Thanks for the addl 'eye candy too! :)

Mr. M & Dan, just to wish you and yours Happy Holidays!
Best!
John

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Did I hear BSA... :) A momentary aside...
BSA, some interesting iterations as creatures of mid to late fifties. CRF bolt action high power rifles featuring integral dovetail scope mounts; (shades of Sako)! Sub models: Regent, short action; Viscount, medium action; Imperial full length action! Later editions of the Viscount and Imperial actions available with integral muzzle brakes! I have one such each in .243 Win & 30-06. Both with integral brakes and the former also with recoil pad! They yielded the floor to a BSA pushfeed model in about 1960. Your 7x57 chambering would have been my preference, but never crossing my path! John Knibbs was a go-to Guru of BSA guns & to my recollection he characterized this genre as produced in small batches. From my decades gun collecting, concluding they're very uncommon on this side of the Atlantic & likely not much less so in Europe!
Best!
John

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
Did I hear BSA... :) A momentary aside...
BSA, some interesting iterations as creatures of mid to late fifties. CRF bolt action high power rifles featuring integral dovetail scope mounts; (shades of Sako)! Sub models: Regent, short action; Viscount, medium action; Imperial full length action! Later editions of the Viscount and Imperial actions available with integral muzzle brakes! I have one such each in .243 Win & 30-06. Both with integral brakes and the former also with recoil pad! They yielded the floor to a BSA pushfeed model in about 1960. Your 7x57 chambering would have been my preference, but never crossing my path! John Knibbs was a go-to Guru of BSA guns & to my recollection he characterized this genre as produced in small batches. From my decades gun collecting, concluding they're very uncommon on this side of the Atlantic & likely not much less so in Europe!
Best!
John
7x57 never my path...had many others!<><

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
Thanks for the chambering update! Your rifle was made in '59 or later. "A" SN suffix as I recall, designating alloy bottom metal. It's a great package and looks to be in super condition!
The 1640 series CRF reflects my view of the mauser genre action pinnacle, though I appreciate other models. ! Most of my cmall 1640 clustering are '06 as yours. But one each in: 7x57, 8x57, 308 Norma Mag & Husky 5000 (1640 action) in 7mm Rem Mag.
Thanks for the addl 'eye candy too! :)

Mr. M & Dan, just to wish you and yours Happy Holidays!
Best!
John
and to you blessing from prayers receiving needs filled through your faith amen<><

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Iskra/John,

I got my viscount from my father as a present when I was about 15 years old. He got it as a used rifle (it's almost pristine but for the common finish trouble with paint flaking off the aluminum trigger guard) at our favourite LGS in Toronto back in the early 1970's.

My father thought that rifle, in that calibre, was a really fine choice for any purpose.

I took some time to research my rifle and it is the 79th Viscount in the original series. I think that means it was made in the latter years of the 1950's? Not 100 .per cent sure on that?

Aside from a trip to the range when I first got it (we took our old 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with the full glass package) I never have fired it since.

It's a beautiful rifle and was very accurate at 100 yards. Just iron sights.... never scoped it.

DK/Dan helped me out a bit when I was investigating putting a scope on it, a while back.

That Kahles scope would be just what I would want to put on the integral dovetails!!!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
hi, timmct. if you really want to mount a scope on your rifle, it's possible with a little work. look for some of the old, Parker-Hale types which do properly fit the rails on the BSA rifles, as well as the rails on the old Brno rifles, too. those Parker-Hale rings were available in both one inch and 26mm size. and it's a fairly easy job for a machinist to alter the ID of the one inch to fit 26mm. they are 'out there' and can be found; just need to do some searching for them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Frosty,

Many thanks...DK/Dan and I have been over this aspect of scoping my rifle. Someone opined about Burris, steel rings as another option.

The little "detent" in the after bridge of the rifle could 'capture" a sized ball bearing if the aft ring had an appropriately sized and drilled accommodation. Just to lock it up.

The Parker Hales are a bit hard to find. I know I could work it; if I were keen.

I think I'm a little too old for the exercise at this point so will let this go.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
hi, timmct. if you really want to mount a scope on your rifle, it's possible with a little work. look for some of the old, Parker-Hale types which do properly fit the rails on the BSA rifles, as well as the rails on the old Brno rifles, too. those Parker-Hale rings were available in both one inch and 26mm size. and it's a fairly easy job for a machinist to alter the ID of the one inch to fit 26mm. they are 'out there' and can be found; just need to do some searching for them.
26 steel $100 down in quality. old stock hard to find yet internet opens doors in this area//
bought 6 pairs...... Pecar's With Zeiss glass / lends. gone up last 8 years from lack of needs, limited production? old stock best efforts..
some newer alum. China best I've not used cheap!

Reactions: timmct

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
First, my apology Mr. M! Your "Husqvarna rifle model one of my favorites. My 'momentary BSA aside', taking seed and blooming! I do believe we 'addressed your great Husqvarna rifle matter 'with reverence appropriate'! :) The BSA is a much lesser known/appreciated commodity than Husqvarna. I prefer the Husqvarnas for the same factors that sold them in volume. Excellent quality rifles and good price point. The BSA, like other 'worthy' guns, reflecting low advertising budgets and almost no 'presence' in gun shops! A kiss of death in fifties era. I like the BSA genre for both the "dovetail action scope mounting and the intermediate action length! If I used the scope often, I'd have likely preferred it. Below an intermediate length BSA in .257 Roberts w/ Lyman 3x scope.

Best!
John

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
55,189 Posts
only few here know me my story> started with military swedes others.
. drew closer to Swedish steel.
started reloading in my head>
saw an example of strength 1963 ad. GUNS mag. trying to blow up name brand rifles?
packed wet sand> barrels 3x loads fired> all of them failed not the 1640 action!
started collecting every husky carl G i came across in 30 cals. reloading commons... on a budget.
drifted away by authors pointing to others BSA's, , Mausers, EARLIE parker Hales Mauser actions, later, Germ.> Austrian, Voeres, Klingunthers on Voere action types hunting rifles 30 cals' mostly 50's up!
ILL state from 40 years shooting no matter the features, not present in a Swede.
one thing ill express publicly, being once a 200-yard confident target shooting with hunting rifles, that ive spoken about above and others brands,
"Husqvarna Carl Gustaf's having a safe still full.
having one of those OTHERS,
sold money well use to by nearly 99% examples more Swedes.
WHY?
Accuracy never matched in dime groups!
or near so consistently!
Mattered not the actions used,> 96, FN, 1640 1900, Saure, "barrels, processes matters!"
Never had an un accurate one in my collection that I've shot!
Made me think of those other girls that swayed my eyes...
my hands caressed the best.....other girls cost more meant less! amen
ps: one left thought of> 1950ish real Mauser action Parker Hale Safari delux 308 nearly close got to stay AAA woods fit to me on it<><

Reactions: Frosty
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.