Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone, I have lurked on this forum for awhile for the available information from knowledgeable folks. This is my first post. I have a variety of Swedes in military and commercial, backed into the commercial because of my fondness for my Swedish milsurps and FSRs.
I have a few questions. Does the 1640 use small ring barrels like the m38/96? Anyone know if a 1640 action comes close to fitting in a 96 action type sporter stock? How strong are the "strengthened 96 actions" used by HVA in 640/648(?) rifles, specifically, are they strong enough for stronger 6.5x55 SE or 6.5x55AI loads? Lastly, can someone direct me to the page I saw once that had the chronology and descriptions of HVA commercial rifles?
Thanks,
Robert

·
Silver Bullet member
55,544 Posts
i once fitted a 96 military in a 98 stock snable wood stock.....
by setting it as far back in the rear of the stock as possible.....glassing in the gap at the front of recoil lug, and magazine
floor plate.....a moon shape glassed area all the way through
showing in front of bedding screw colored to match wood.....not real badly noticed...very accurate sporter looking conversion!

something to consider.....but never put a 1640 in to see the differences?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a 1640 is like a 96 mauser. Isn't it closer to a small ring commercial mauser 98, an extractor closer to a m38, with a different bolt release, and(after 1958-1959?) an alloy floorplate that doesn't fit with the standard commercial 98 floorplates as well(before that, steel ones should fit fine, I think)?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The 1640 is a compound of both the M/98 and the M/94. It uses the same breeching system as the M/94/96/38 and a simlar bolt head design. Same barrel thread is used for both, means .980" dia X .645" long X 12 TPI @ 55 degrees. Some M/94/96/38 barrels may need a bit of relief (to make the shank a bit longer) to fit some 1640 actions.

The M/94/96/38 is a shorter action than the M/98 and the 1640. The action lenght is 8.500" for the M/94/96/38 and 8.750" for both the 1640 and the M/98. The action screw spacing is also different, bing 7.620" for th eM/94/96/38 and 7.835" for both the 1640 and the 98.

The 1640 is a stronger action (modern steel) and better vented than the M/94/96/38, so, safer. It was successfuly chambered in 7mmRM and .358 NM...
As for the "commercial" M/38 being a stronger action than the M/94/96/38 with the thumb cut out, I say no. It is stiffer, though. It uses the same material and lacks the same gas escaping capability as the previous M/94/96/38.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,544 Posts
i gave the example of a 96 in a 98 stock to let every one know it can be done if and only if you set the action all the way back it works and looks good leaving
a half moon design in front of the mag. and actin screw.....
so if you set an hva 1640 action into the 98 stock all the way rear.....
you may be susprised how easy it may be to glass that action in? or not?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A stock made for a small ring standard length 98 can be adapted to a 1640 easily. The actions are the same length. Rear tangs are different. The bolt stop is too but can be added.

The bottom metal is different, especially the aluminum, but the stock can be adapted.

This 1640 was put into a 98 stock.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,544 Posts
thanks zr1....thats what i was assuming from my experiences with 96 in a large ring 98....stock....leaving the half moon of beding showning in front of mag.
nice gun too

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, my customer was very happy. That makes me happy!

Bolt stop and ejector are still there, the external release was removed for cleaner lines.
z1r, how do you release the bolt now that the external release is gone? I really like the cleaner lines that you achieved . . . Also, does the safety you added have 3 positions? Is the trigger a Timney Sportsman? Thanks . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.