Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the 9.3x62 Prvi Partizan 285gr SP round nose not feeding reliably when more than one round is loaded into the magazine. When one round is in the magazine it loads 100%, load two or more and the round will bind midway and then the bolt will ride over the round.
Does anyone know or heard if you have to remove some material and widen the mag area of the action ( don't know what that is called ) for it to feed reliably.

I have not tried any other rounds since I got 80 rounds as part of the sale and want to use this for hogs.

The rifle was imported by Simpson and has a model 640 etched on the receiver, although reading through the forum it may be a 649.

PS I can cycle 5 rounds of 7x57, 8mm and 30-06 no issues.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
it's a bit hard to visualize the problem you have described. you said that one round feeds ok, so that should mean that 'that side' feeds ok. so if you load three rounds, doesn't it still feed ok from that side? if it doesn't, then there must be a problem associated with the spring tension or fitting. the 7, 8, and 30-06 all have more tapered shoulders, than the 9,3 so that may be the reason why they feed ok. the 9,3 has a much sharper shoulder and so the feed ramp has to be right up to snuff for the sharper shoulder to feed properly. this can be a right proper PITA to deal with. if you can't diagnose the problem yourself, you'll need to consult with someone that is very familiar with the Mauser action and the magazine box. don't get hasty about modifying something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking along the same lines rounds #1 and #3 should be fine but only round#1 is smooth and consistent, round #3 is not in the same alignment when it is gets to the feed ramp due to round #2.
I am able to see that when the nose of rounds #2 and #3 hits the feed ramp the shell angles sharply enough that they scrape on the feed rails making the bolt ride over. If I do it slowly I can tap the round in using the bolt.

I am not a fan of removing material as well, I just cleaned up the rough edges that I saw.

I will pick up a box Nosler trophy grade 250gr over the weekend and see if it is a definitely related to to the round nose bullets. Thanks for your input Frosty.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
i'm inclined to think that the bullet shape may be part of the problem. your idea of trying a different style, i.e. the Nosler spitzers is very worthwhile. if the spitzer bullets work better, you just have to pull the round noses from your ammo, and use the spitzers.

and if you do want the round nosed bullets for heavy cover, remember that you can have one in the chamber, with the safe on, and the top most first one in the box. you should also be trying the two different bullet types to see which shoots best from your rifle. most people don't think enuff about the fact that if you've missed with your first two shots, then you're probably not gonna have any luck with two more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a good point with round nose in the chamber, spritzers to follow. Just would rather have it work as intended. I’ve looked on the web to see if there are specific feed rail widths for Mauser action calibers, maybe this one is not to spec.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
it has to be a very skilled metal smith/gunsmith to make alterations to the Mauser feed rails. most of the attempts at this have negative results. and when that happens, there is no way to repair the damaged area. you just have an action with spoiled feed rails.

in your case, the width you are questioning is not the problem area; the 9,3x62 case dimensions of the body are the same as 30-06. the problem is occurring when the bullet is going onto the feed ramp. seating the bullet deeper into the case may help, but the bullets shape and ogive are the most suspect. if it's any consolation, you should be aware that this is not an uncommon problem with rifles in the medium to larger bore sized cartridges. getting cartridges with 35 to 45 caliber bullets to feed properly from a box magazine is not a simple process. it's one of the reasons for the popularity of the "double rifles" made to use for dangerous game. two fast shots with absolute function.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took some polishing compound and lightly cleaned/hit the feed ramp and rails and can see a noticeable improvement, it may just be that lead soft point creating enough resistance to cause a feeding malfunction.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
the round noses with more lead exposed, also get caught on the the edge of the chamber. the round nosed bullets work fine in the lever action rifles, but that is not always the case with a bolt action. i can surmise that when the spitzer bullets came into general use from 1920 to 1940, there were two attractions to the change. better ballistic performance...AND better feeding and function in the bolt action rifles of the day. but the still strong attraction to round nosed bullets these days is due to the terminal expansion and killing performance on big game.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The rounds you got with the rifle are they factory loaded or are they hand loads ? I have a Swedish 98 type 9.3x62 and it feeds all factory loaded ammo . Some one give me 9.3x62 that they purchased at a gun show it did feed in my rifle at all .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are factory Prvi Partizan 285gr soft points. I am able to baby the first two of three rounds now but it is a work around versus working as intended. I went to my local gun shop about an hour ago to purchase different ammo. They didn't have the Hornady but did have the Norma 232gr Oryx. when I inspected the bullet they seemed a similar shape as the ones I have and for $70 I decided not to buy them today.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There was some similar discussion 10 years ago on this topic:
Hope you get your FN98 sorted out. One of my fave rifles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read a ton of similar feed issues, Frosty was on the right track. The round nose is getting hung up as soon as it hits the feed ramp. I sacrificed 4 rounds and re-profiled the nose to be more like a spitzer and they cycle cleanly. So it is either going to be ammo sensitive or I will need to do something with the ramp to be able to handle these round nose.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
May I fall back for de-confusing myself. You refer to "640" reflected on the action? Correct? You also refer to "649". There were four differing CRF actions employed in their 93x62. First was the FN prewar action patterned exactly on the Mauser 98 with thumb cut left receiver wall. I believe this action was in the 1939-42 or so era. The second action was a true Husqvarna Model 94 based action with solid left sidewall, which was made from about 1944-46 or so, again as I recall. The last was the adoption of the postwar FN commercial action with solid left sidewall in late forties through 1953, possibly later. The1600 series was also available in this chambering. I'm unclear just which action you have! Hopefully my bare-bones brief description is sufficient to make clear the action to which your referring. Next, where and how is the chambering marking nomenclature present. Also, does it appear original?
IF the chambering was original and yet so, the action feed rail problem should not be happening! I don' share the expertise here of such as Frosty or presumably other contributors, but I'm wondering if the wrong magazine follower might be the culprit. Just a long shot at best. I do concur that if those feed rails were altered, likely a "terminal condition". That said, worst case, the action might still be viable for one of the fatter mag case chamberings! Just a guess!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John at this point it is definitely related to the ammo and the feed ramp. The feed rails only appeared to be a problem because of how the Soft point round crashes into the feed ramp.
As far as exactly what action I have, the only thing originally marked on the receiver is Sweden with a crest. There is a etching on the side that reads Simpson Ltd Model 640. It is a 98 action solid sidewalls and the rear does not have the notch for a stripper clip. The barrel has the most marking including caliber, manufacturer and serial number. I will see if I can locate any other info to determine which action it is.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Hi 'ex' & you've really defined the action in your latest description above. It's the great FN commercial action incorporated by Husqvarna of late forties onward to fifties.. Congrats on a fine rifle! I've included a few photos of mine, particularly of note the nomenclature style. I think it is important to ascertain with reasonable certainty that it is "original 9.3x62" factory chambering. Unfortunately even that established, if it perceptibly didn't feed properly to any owner, always the possibility of dastardly alterations. I would doubt it but not to auto-exclude possibilities. My non-expert, seat of pants, view that any regularly produced commercial cartridges intended for such chambering 'should' feed, regardless of round nose or spitzer. Anyway, lazy folks like me look to Occam! :)
Good luck on getting the issue straightened out!
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Wood Product Brown White Line
Product Brown Line Metal Amber
Brown Text Font Metal Tan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a few pics on mine, somewhere along the line they drilled / tapped the receiver but they are misaligned. I am not much of a collector but more of a hunter / shooter with an eye on quality.
Finger Wrist Plastic bag Watch Plastic
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Carbon Still life photography Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Carbon Still life photography Bicycle handlebar
Metal Composite material Steel Aluminium Engineering

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
hi again, exsquid. i have a brother/sister to your rifle, in the same caliber. have not tested it yet, so now you have me asking ???? i will try the feeding out with some factory ammo that i have, and will post some comments. may take a couple days to happen.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Your Husqvarna, nomenclature-wise looks right as rain original! That feed ramp looking awfully wide, but mine squirreled away & unavailable for comparison! Someone here, should be able to comment. Re the D&T, that's the problem particularly with older guns as in obsolete mounts/hole locations! Worst, when wearing a scope as purchased. Only to later discover swiss cheesed with differing base holes!
Assuming my understanding only the round nose bullet difficulty; such doesn't seem huge problem. Mine cycles OK ,but only tested with spitzer rounds & even those never actually fired! That story, of ammo availability!
Thanks for the pix of a nice looking rifle!
Best!
Joh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s seems that it is the lead of the round nose that grabs enough of the feed ramp to cause the issue. I think if it were round nose solids it would be ok, When I try a new group of the same ammo I can see that the expose lead deforms a bit from hitting the ramp

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.