Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble tracking down much information on this rifle, would like a picture or 2 as well. I have one coming my way, a gift from family and naturally curiousity is killing me, and I am coming up with next to nothing on the internet about them. Any infomation is much appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know much about these rifles other than what i've read online. I believe the model 246 was chambered in 9.3x62 and built on an FN made M/98 action (military type with side cutout for stripper clip loading). According to skydevaaben.com they were built from 1939-1941. From what I understand they look the same as the model 146 (same rifle but chambered for 9.3x57) which is a very nice rifle indeed. You should be able to find pictures of the model 146 on this site as well as several others, below is the only photo of a 246 that I could find.

Although I can not vouch for the correctness of this info I also found a posting from Sweden which says that only 227 model 246s were ever made http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8130&start=0 ,if this is true that would make yours a very rare rifle.

Here is a picture of a 246 which was unfortunately drilled and tapped for a scope.
View attachment 318296

I'm sure others on this site can give you more info since I'm relatively new to the Swedish rifle addiction, but I hope this helps.

Cheers,
--Derek

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You are correct, 228 M/46AN (M/94 based) and 227 M/246 (M/98 with thumb cut-out and charger bridge clip guide tabs) were made.
The rifles originally chambered for the 9.3X62 are stamped with "Kal. 9.3X62" while most rechambered rifles are stamped "Kal. 9.3 m.m.". The later is the stamping of an orginal 9.3X57 chamber and lots of these were / are rechambered to X62.
Just make sure the stamping is right if you paid premium to get a M/246.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Here are a couple more points to verify that the rifle really is a model 246. The rifle has a high nickel content steel barrel and will be marked "Nickelstal" (with a little circle above the a). Also the model 246 has it's own serial number range: 501N-727N. The N stands for the nickel steel barrel.

·
Copper Bullet member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 246 came home with me on monday. I posted pics in the sticky. It is really a more beautiful gun than I have ever handled, and though I was hesitant to do anything to alter it, I felt compelled to bed it and add a cross bolt internally before i shot it. Though it has survived a long time I would hate to be the one to bust it. So I let the devcon set for a couple days, and shot it today. It shot great. I was a little nervous about the recoil but it really wasn't bad. I am not sure if I didn't know I could tell it from a hot loaded 06. I shot some Selliers and Bellot 286 grain that came with it. 2" at 50 yards off a leaning tree which is as well as I can shoot off a leaning tree. I posted a couple of pics of the case and the old travel stickers on it. If any one has any info on those decals I would be excited to hear about that.

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Congratulations on your new 246! They are fine rifles. Even in the lightweight Husqvarnas, the 9.3x62 recoil is usually pretty manageable for most people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts