Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me the difference between the Husqvarna 1600 and Husqvarna 1640 actions. As I understand it, both are Husqvarna "small-ring" Mauser-derivative actions. Is there a difference between these two actions (floorplate, floorplate release, bolt stop, etc.) or does the difference really apply to the complete rifles built on these actions--differing, say, in barrel length, stock configuration, overall weight, etc.?

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
Handwriting Font Material property Art Office supplies
some modifications, changes to bolt stop and floor plates ..length barrels, stock design types of checker and woods types, forearms and tips, triggers, receiver, finishes on husky's 5,000...life time researching...then net brought European models differences...not easy to explain unless you got 40 years...like me...now forgetting. others young minded, ive given my research out to three. Here.<>< they will simplified><<>

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can someone explain to me the difference between the Husqvarna 1600 and Husqvarna 1640 actions. As I understand it, both are Husqvarna "small-ring" Mauser-derivative actions. Is there a difference between these two actions (floorplate, floorplate release, bolt stop, etc.) or does the difference really apply to the complete rifles built on these actions--differing, say, in barrel length, stock configuration, overall weight, etc.?
The terms 1600 and 1640 actions are interchangeable for the most part. The main differences are the other parts: stock shape, sights etc.
I have a 1600 "lightweight" which has a 20" barrel. Most 1640s come with 22-24" length.
There was a change over time to the floor plate from steel to alloy.
Also the bolt release size changed but still was a PITA from start to finish.
Bottom line the model numbering system for Husqvarna is very confusing.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
that is a mouthful of comment. in total agreement.
my own researcher years.
.the mistakes made Earlie on were mostly repeated from authors whom thought more on one thing not concentrating on all differences over periods of time,.. even German krako with different action, had same names HUSKY of 1600 Swed.. just one!

Reactions: Frosty

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
bolt stop was mover more rearwards,
think STEVE B said once and changed shape a little? old memory

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get it that the bottom metal was changed from steel to alloy and that the bolt release was modified, but did these changes apply to only the 1600 or to only the 1640? Or did both actions see these same changes?

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
TradeWinds owner "W" years back sent me materials that even had other sub numbers for each caliber, on each listed basic model.
and sold barrel actions too...
1600 in the beginning collectors use identifying action
"40" leading to models...Americanized, and different same model Europe stylized differently<><
unless i have the materials in front of me its jumbled in memory for conversation.<><

Reactions: Baribal

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 1600 and 1640 are the same. The action is referred to as a "1600 action" The rifle is usually called a 1640.
That makes sense. But then we had the 3000, 4000, 5000, 7000, etc., designation applied to the "1640" rifles to reflect trim levels and specific aesthetic features. Were these numbers used only with the rifles that were exported to North America?

Reactions: DK PHILLIPS

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The 1600 and 1640 labels have become interchangeable. Mechanically, the actions are the same with the aforementioned changes. Then, as has been said, depending on the Market, the same rifle could be called different models.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
you younger guy never experienced this in old days
GUN LIST...and add for husky, expensive phone call leading to mostly condition...model, no photos ?
would be 50/50 understood; what you was getting.
money sent..3 weeks later..
you have a new looking Husqvarna...98% cal correct..
different model than thought?
new in collecting i didn't haver ever model so not a problem.
and or...same model i have already///what?
if better condition other put on market...
all shoot about same when newish...
found, 1900 actions more accurate at 200 yards!

·
Silver Bullet member
55,519 Posts
trying to remember how many can by chance...maybe 6#?
that's how wrote for gun digest Ken Warner about my collected research, clearing confusion buying without seeing difficult?
organizing better questions to buyers, owners clueless...<><

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Here you go;

First, HVA always called the action "1640"

Now, for a comprehensive model listing;

1600 = models with 520mm barrel (20.47"), it's the European name for what was known in N-A as 4000 / 4100 / 7000

1640 = models with 600mm barrel (23.62"), it's the equivalent to N-A Models 3000 / 3100 / 6000 and derivatives. The "1640" also includes the Husky H-5000 and "Laponia" (560mm barrels - 22")

1651 = 358 Norma Magnum models with 650mm barrels (25.6")

All these models use the same 1640 actions, but not all are 100% parts interchangeable because of the evolution of the 1640 action.

Tradewinds screwed up by using different names for the rifles they were selling. Have they kept the original names and there would have been little confusion on the model names.
Also, the idea of calling it "1600" comes from the old Canadian register, as importer used 1900 and 1600 for model designation, without making the difference, then, advertized all the 1600/1640/1651 models as being "1600".... so, everyone drooling on the pages have been confused about the models.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Here you go;

First, HVA always called the action "1640"

Now, for a comprehensive model listing;

1600 = models with 520mm barrel (20.47"), it's the European name for what was known in N-A as 4000 / 4100 / 7000

1640 = models with 600mm barrel (23.62"), it's the equivalent to N-A Models 3000 / 3100 / 6000 and derivatives. The "1640" also includes the Husky H-5000 and "Laponia" (560mm barrels - 22")

1651 = 358 Norma Magnum models with 650mm barrels (25.6")

All these models use the same 1640 actions, but not all are 100% parts interchangeable because of the evolution of the 1640 action.

Tradewinds screwed up by using different names for the rifles they were selling. Have they kept the original names and there would have been little confusion on the model names.
Also, the idea of calling it "1600" comes from the old Canadian register, as importer used 1900 and 1600 for model designation, without making the difference, then, advertized all the 1600/1640/1651 models as being "1600".... so, everyone drooling on the pages have been confused about the models.
Great breakdown of the cross listing that went on.

I forget at what time or SN the changes to the action occurred., Footprint remains the same but the bolt stop was changed. No change in model number occurred as a result.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Great breakdown of the cross listing that went on.

I forget at what time or SN the changes to the action occurred., Footprint remains the same but the bolt stop was changed. No change in model number occurred as a result.
Mike, there was at least three different bolt stop / release / ejector levers, but the position change was made at SN 200 000
There were also slight changes in bolt vent holes and bolt shrouds.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Mike, there was at least three different bolt stop / release / ejector levers, but the position change was made at SN 200 000
There were also slight changes in bolt vent holes and bolt shrouds.
Thanks for the additional info. I didn't mention the shrouds and holes because, mechanically, they don't affect anything. But the position change of the bolt stop can affect whether or not the action will fit in a stock. Good to know when this change happened. Again, thanks for sharing, great info! I'm sure while many know about the bolt stops, far fewer are aware of the other changes you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts