Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
old military
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My charming wife bought me this P40 husky pistol as a gift. It is in really nice shape.But I have a question. It has the markings of the Danish police on the right side but the serial number does not start with a D and it has a SS under the crown stamp not the HV as I expected. The serial number with lack of a D and the SS inspection mark leads me to believe that it went to the Danish government in exile during WW2 and then went to the police after the war. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice gift, does your wife have any single sisters for me.:LOL:

Your right on the money regarding the origins of the pistol, according to www.gotavapen it was delivered to the exiled Danish government in 1944 in a batch of 2000 pistols. The SS is for the inspector, Cpt Sten Stenmo, and the Rplt S 461 is the Police ownership mark. The 461 is their own serial number or rack number.

Did you get the Black Police holster with your M40? (y)

·
Registered
old military
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To see all the pictures click on the on one shown and scroll down. Thanks
Nice gift, does your wife have any single sisters for me.:LOL:

Your right on the money regarding the origins of the pistol, according to www.gotavapen it was delivered to the exiled Danish government in 1944 in a batch of 2000 pistols. The SS is for the inspector, Cpt Sten Stenmo, and the Rplt S 461 is the Police ownership mark. The 461 is their own serial number or rack number.

Did you get the Black Police holster with your M40? (y)
She does but she is a Bit**. I did not get the holster. Know where I can find one? Are the mags for sale at Numerichs any good? Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know what mags Numrich sells I'm from Aus, but I have seen the odd holster & original mags turn up on eBay.
You might have to look a bit harder for the Black Police holster!

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,680 Posts
I believe the Swedish Air Force used black holsters ? How to tell the difference in a Danish black holster or are they the same ?

Looks like the Danish black m/40 holsters have a Crown/HV stamp .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Mikinmi,

Thanks for the info on your pistol going to the Danish government in exile and on to the Danish police post WWII.

I have one like this, rack #567, no D in front of the serial number and and inspected by good old Stan.

I new it was a Danish police pistol but other than that I knew nothing, so again, thank you for the back ground information.

Vlad

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I believe the Swedish Air Force used black holsters ? How to tell the difference in a Danish black holster or are they the same ?

Looks like the Danish black m/40 holsters have a Crown/HV stamp .
swede ---- I have a consecutive numbered pair of M40 pistols that I picked up back in the 70's. They are stamped on the receivers' side plate with the Rplt. S 5651 and Rplt. S 5652, that I think is a police property number. I have a brown and a black holster the pistols sleep in. The brown holster has belt loops on the back side while the black holster has brass hangers on the back side. There is a faint stamp of two circles (one inside the other) with a "H" inside the inner circle. The black holster has no stamp that I can find. Both pistols are in almost mint condition and I haven't fired either one in almost 40 years.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I believe the two holsters I have (black and brown leather) are Swedish military intended for the M40 9mm pistol. Both have two pouches for spare mags., a pocket for the loading assist / take down tool and a cleaning rod. The brown holster came with two spare mags., the assist tool and a cleaning rod. The pistols fit well into the holsters. I believe they are large enough they could be worn on the feet as house slippers if ever needed for that purpose.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
No "Made in Sweden" stamps on my two holsters. The only marks I have found on my holsters are the two concentric circles on the inside of the brown holster's flap. If you might be interested seeing a couple photos of my holsters I'd be happy to post.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Sure , we may get more interest if you show some photos .
View attachment 3758593
No "Made in Sweden" stamps on my two holsters. The only marks I have found on my holsters are the two concentric circles on the inside of the brown holster's flap. If you might be interested seeing a couple photos of my holsters I'd be happy to post.
swede ---- The results of this election have really surprised and disappointed me. Mr. Biden has told the world he intends to enact very harsh restrictions on gun owners to the point he intends (if possible) to remove all privately owned guns from the US population over all. If he can't accomplish that, a heavy tax and ownership fees would be mandated to make gun ownership by normal law abiding folks such as ourselves nearly impossible. This gunboards forum could be an ideal place where the gun grabbing henchmen of Biden's choosing could find out where and who possesses weapons. Therefore I'm reluctant to post any more information on this forum concerning pieces I currently own. I'll continue to read "gunboards" and review other's information posted here but as for me I believe I've posted my last on this forum. I'd like to continue posting but now I'll choose a safe path rather than a sorry one. Thanks for looking at my postings.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In 1944, the Danish Government in Exile ordered 2,000 pistols for the Danish Brigade, a 7,500 man force
of Danish troops who had fled to Sweden. Pistols came directly from Swedish Military stores (without
the “D” prefix), and carried Swedish inspection officer Cpt Sten Stenmo’s “SS” mark. Serial numbers
generally ranged from 67000 – 69202, but some have been observed above and below those numbers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
She does but she is a Bit**. I did not get the holster. Know where I can find one? Are the mags for sale at Numerichs any good? Thanks
Mikeinmi, there is a Danish contract M40 holster on eBay now if you haven't already spotted it, coming from Florida!
The title is "VintageSwedish Lathi M40 Holster With 1 Magazine".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.