Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 1640 husky lightweight in 7x57.

Feels and looks like new! 1 small gash in the butt stock thats it. My question is when was this made?

I can only find limited info on these and none of the articles I find mention
7x57 as an option:confused::confused:? Help me !!!;)
;)

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
You have come to the right place! I can tell you the year of production from the serial number and the exact model from some pics or a description of the stock. Since my very first rifle was a model 4100 Husqvarna chambered in 7x57 it is naturally my favorite cartridge and I have made an extra effort to track down this model.

The reason you can't find information about them is that the 7x57 chambering was not a standard offering by the factory. I was told by the owner of the US importer (Tradewinds) that he did a "special order" from the factory. All the 7x57's were ordered as "lightweights". You can find them with both schnable stocks as well as fullstocks (mannlicher type) with either a straight comb with cheekpiece or a Monte Carlo comb with ckeekpiece for a total of 4 variations. Recently a model 4000 (Monte Carlo stock with schnable forend) showed up in Sweden for sale, so special orders were available there too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sbhva

Cool!

My Husky has the schnabel foreend a hinged floorplate & a sliding catch safety. I dont know if the floorplate is steel or aluminum( sorry)
but here is the number on the gun itself is # 187 07#

Help!!

Where & When was it made?:p

·
1,295 Posts
Your rifle was made in 1957 and is an early example of the 1640 action. It should have the steel trigger guard. Are you sure the serial number is 187xxx and not 185xxx? Does it have iron sights and a straight comb on the stock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Husky

Monte carlo stock with cheek rest and iron sights.Sweet condition!:p
Here is the number again

187 07*

Husqvarna Vapenfabric A.B Kal 7x57

Its definatley a lightweight but thats all I know.

Is it possible that the numbers mean something else because it was purchased in Canada? Maybe there was a Tradewinds equivilent here like S.I.R in Winnipeg?:confused:

Is it possible that there was a barrel switch?:eek:

Derek

·
1,295 Posts
The reason I asked you to confirm the serial number is that from my research on serial numbers, I know there was a batch of 7x57's in the 185xxx number range. There is no reason at all to think your barrel was switched.

It is possible that a Canadian importer may have also done a special order. I know that RUKO was the last Husqvarna importer, but I don't know when they started or if they were the only importer. Tradewinds was located in Tacoma Washington and prior to 1968 there were far fewer restrictions on the gun trade so they may have also been supplying Canada. Unfortunately, the owner of Tradewinds has passed away and can't answer that question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
appreciated

Thanks Steve,

Big help for sure, love the rifle! Short barrel and all.

Do you have an ammo recomendation for whitetails 125 yds?

Does this thing shoot 175 grainers well?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Canadian models

Steve,
I don't know if you still remember but I have a Canadian 1640 in .308 Win wich have the fancy stock of the Imperial 6000 without the stamp (Imperial) and without the folding rear sight.
It has the 3000 - 3100 rear sight. The stock seems odd from what I've seen (model 3100 Crown Grande have round forend, if I'm right) for a 3000 model.

Could these Canadian HVA special orders? a kind of crossover between the 3100 and the 6000?

The S/N of my rifle is; 29354X

I will ask Ellwood Epps, they sold HVA rifles in the '60s....

·
1,295 Posts
Barilbal;

All of the later production model 3000's had a stock like yours. Nothing special order there. From an old Canadian catalog I have I do know that the gloss finish was available in Canada. In the US, we only got it on the Imperials and some of the S&W's.

·
1,295 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Big help for sure, love the rifle! Short barrel and all.

Do you have an ammo recomendation for whitetails 125 yds?

Does this thing shoot 175 grainers well?
I use the Norma 154 (or older 150) gr. loads in my 7x57's, or handloads using 150 gr Nosler partitions. In my experience, Husqvarna rifles like hotter loads. My 7x57's are capable of consistently less than 1" 3 shot groups with the 150 gr. bullets, but will keyhole the 175's.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
thanks Steve!

Thanks for clarifying things; all the pictures I saw of the 3000 in the catalogues and book have the round nose forend....
And yes, all those of the same model I saw here were having the heavy gloss (kinda epoxide) finish.
However, it looks like most of the HVA originally sold in Canada are the "lightweight" style.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello , I just purchased a Husqvarna . I believe it is a 4100 . 20 inch 30-06 barrel , Schnabel forend. Aluminium hinged floorplate , sliding safty and Imperial stamp . Serial number 2209xx A . I am hoping someone can help me find a replacement floorplate as mine is broken . Any info would be appreciated . Thanks , Piers .

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Anyone try the 139 gr SST light mag from Hornady?

:confused::confused:
I have not shot that load as I don't shoot factory ammo and generally I want my loads to be both elk and deer capable so I gravitate to the heavier bullets in the 6.5x55 and 7x57.

I use 150 grain Remington Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt's. I use a load from the Hodgdon book that pushes it to 2800 fps with no pressure signs from my rifle {alas, not a HVA...}. We have taken 5 elk and some number of whitetail deer with this load and it is a killer.

I've shot and never had any trouble with 175's, but the 150 Remingtons are cheap and shoot very accurately from our rifle and they shoot flatter than the 175's, too.

Steve, the 175's tumble? What is the twist rate in your rifle? Another case of slow twist in HVA?

·
Silver Bullet member
50,161 Posts
stocks, early vs late changes. and later even.

barbail, early 3000, 3100, stocks curved in toward the barrel got real thin looked like this ( ) at there tops with blacktip. no shelf running beside the barrel channel, i have one :D. Later on, they looked like this { }. at the tops next to barrel leaving a shelf or flat running along barrel. have had many!:rolleyes: then even later the blackfore end was droped and the dished out rosewood tip added. saying all this but havent looked my notes :confused: to check dates of changes.:eek: and aresar, asked for a floor plate havent seen one for sale in years :confused: <><school teacher

·
Registered
2 Posts
Husqvarna 1640 with Steel trigger Guard/ Floor Plate Vs 1640 with Aluminum Bottom

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help to tell me the year of manufacture for two rifles and perhaps make my choice a bit easier

I am looking at two 30-06 calibre Husqvarna 1640's both lightweight same stocks no cheekpiece. Both weigh about 6.8-6.9 lbs

1) Has aluminum floor plate/trigger guard the wood and bluing are excellent serial number is 2508XX. Excellent bore.

2) Has steel floor plate and trigger guard it has good wood with only a few small marks no cracks bluing is not as good as other one a bit more wear near bootom metal , trigger and other areas1669XX. Excellent bore.

So i need to decide between the two the first one is in better shape and looks almost new, second one has more wear from use.

Can anyone offer some advise here, is the second one the same except for the steel floor plate?

I may end up getting a custom stock made for it some day and could reblue, but for now would I be better with number 1 or number 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would personally look at #2 first. For me, the steel floorplate is significant. I've heard of the alloy floorplates cracking, but have never heard of that on the steel ones. Besides, again for myself, the steel ones look more graceful around the front guard screw and would enhance a custom stock better as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
50,161 Posts
early 3100,3000 stocks vs late, then later like yours baribal

early{} at the tops the stock rounded in to the barrel very little shelf:cool:. later models [], had shelves runnning the length of the barrel:), and yours barbibal the last type;), even the presentation grades had eather round, or later squared forends, but not dished out like the 6000.<><school teacher.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts