Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
stevenjay1
Posted - 10/06/2005 : 2:22:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first hunting rifle was a M91/38 6.5 Carcano. I bought it for $9.95 from Big Tex Surplus, Pasadena Texas in 1962. I mowed a lot of lawns for that $9.95! I was 14 and didn't need my parents with me when I bought it. Imagine that today! It was in unissued condition so I went home and bubbatized it (Sorry guys, I was only 14 and stupid.) My neighbor was a machinist so he helped me take the military rear sight off and put on an adjustable Williams rear barrel sight. With Norma ammo the rifle was accurate and I killed several deer with it. So to answer your question, Yes I did. Steve

NebrHogger
Posted - 10/07/2005 : 02:43:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I left the service in 1970, I attended college on the GI bill ( a whopping 175 per month), and jobs were scarce in this part of the country. My roomie's Dad let him use his Carcano - I believe it was an M91-38 and we shot several deer with it that winter.

Kept my sweetie & me in meat all winter. We even used surplus ball ammo & had little trouble that way. It didn't tear the meat up at all.

If you are thinking of this, remember that "closer is better!" SW

NebrHogger
Posted - 07/11/2006 : 09:40:07 AM
I got started with Italian rifles in the same way I did with Marlins 35 years ago. I wound up with one... and another & a couple more & soon discovered I had enough that I should just as well collect them.

My 1st experience with a Carcano was when I was attending college after returning from Viet Nam. Jobs were scarce then & Uncle Sam was none too generous with his funding for starving students. My roomie had a Carcano his Dad brought back from WWII & we used it to whack a few deer that winter. Using milsurp ammo - closer is better!

Kept us & our sweeties in food that winter until we were both able to get jobs. Truly it was not legal, but we had an actual need & ate all we shot.
SW

claremike
Posted - 10/07/2005 : 6:04:27 PM
I've had a 7.35mm since I was 14 and have used it to hunt deer for 5 yrs before I went into the USAF in 1966. I used .300 128 gr Hornady Carcano bullets and had no problem bring down most any size deer in Calif. The rifle was converted back in the late 50's by Williams Gun Co. It had the works done to it so it is not military in anyway. This was done before the thinking changed to keep it org. It is still a good shooter and with reloads it will equal of better any gun in its class.

PS I have over 400 rounds of 1939 Ball ammo I bought and have used only to supply cases to reload with new powder and bullets from time to time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts