Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one seen this? I have seen some G43s that, as was common in the 50s and 60s were sportied up, but this is very sad. BUT, I will say, it is well done! Some one spent a lot of time and money on it. How the times have changed, yes.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
The only G43 I own at present came to me through someone who had used it for hunting. I paid $50 for it in about 1970 at the same gun show one of my other brothers got an unmessed-with one for $65. I was in college at the time, and really couldn't afford the extra $15.

It is an AC44 no-letter series. The 'hunter' found it necessary to cut the sling bar off the front band, fill in the 'hole' in the buttstock with little, odd-cut pieces of wood, and sanded the stock to where all the stamps are gone and the buttplate sits just a bit proud on both the top and bottom of the wood. The metal (other than the barrel) was all 'refinished' with satin black (I think it was) Rust-Oleum.

I can't figure how ANY of that made it any handier for hunting.

Oh, and it came with one of those five-round "Denmark' stamped magazines.

The bore is good, but the previous owner knew nothing about cleaning off the OUTSIDE of the barrel when shooting corrosive ammunition. That muzzle nut is NEVER coming off again, and the barrel and front sight base have more than a little bit of pitting.

Without replacing any parts (except the mag), I now have it back to as close to original condition as I can get it. Sad, actually.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,563 Posts
I understand the GI-BB 98s sporterized for hunting and all , but not a G43. The only ease of conversion could be for the mounting of the scope but still!:?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I can remember back in the 70s sporterized G43s were more common at shows than they are now and they were cheaper too. I wouldn't buy them because replacement were almost impossible to find back then. Now with all the replacement parts you can find on the internet I wish I had bought some of them then. You know hindsight is almost 20/20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.