Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

After a lot research I have found that the caliber of this 1924 G98 sporter is 8X57i or 8X57j depending on the nationality of the cartridge.

If anyone has any of this ammo around - I will trade or buy - cash waiting - thank you!
I have some Norma 8X60s I bought while trying out obsolete loads, I can trade to a collector, too.

Pit.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - 8X57j is a unique cartridge - .318" and some other slight differences.

*German factories were not allowed to produce rifles in a military caliber after the treaty of Versailles (WW1), so they came up with a fruity sub-caliber that required minimal change to the rifles, the old G88's ran a similar round - you will find a few sporters, drillings and single shots from the 20's in these hard to find calibers - my rifle in one of these.

I have a collection of 8X57 military ammo - but, just WW2 and older.
I do not need any Yugoslav ammo - however, I thank you for your offer, sir.

Pit.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
old western scrounger sells 250gr lead gas check rounds

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I have 1000 rds. of Hirtenberger, 7.92 x 57 JS, brass cased, NC/BO, head stamped 83'. I could be wrong , but the for the JS cartridge, the pressure limitations are taken from the older 7.92 x 57i cartridge ( 37,500 CUP ) for safety in case the .323 inch bullet is fired in an "I" bore (.318 inch) rifle.
European pressure limits (CIP) for 8x57JS ammo is 56560PSI....US SAAMI limit for 8x57mm Mauser is 35,000PSI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts