Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Sierra "Game King" 140gr spitzer but I have noted some fragmentation. Does anyone have any other recommendations for about a 140gr. hunting bullet to be used mainly on whitetail. Of course I will be using them in my M96, so something my old guns will handle please.

Many Thanks, John

·
Registered
861 Posts
maybe

Hunting is a mix of accuracy and bullet performance. Accuracy first. I believe Century has the 160 grain Hirtenberger SP for sale, and another forum highly rated it in the M96 as the best accuracy and most consistent performance. M96's have a 1:7.5 twist designed around the heavier bullets. The new Tikka's have a 1:9 twist, designed for the 140's. Not saying 140's will be bad, but 150+'s may be best.
On the high end Lapua naturalis also comes in 150+. Best report I have are in the S&B 140's and Norma. I can not tell you which will be best, but I hope some technical info may help. Expected shooting distance may also come into play.
Some folks just go and get the Federal 140's as a compromise. I prefer to not compromise in hunting. Others greatly prefer the Norma's for many reasons. Hope this helps.

Ben

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
On the whole the Sierra hunting bullets seem to have a weaker jacket and can break up sometimes. I shoot Sierra's in my M-96's for accuracy on paper but like to hunt with the
Hornady's. The 140's tend to be the most accurate in my M-96 / M-38 rifles at hunting velocities. I can get right at 1.5 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards with the Sierra's and the Hornadys go about 2.2 . Since the kill zone on most game is much larger than 2.2 inches I feel the performance is more important than a 0.7 in group size. The 140's will shoot much flatter than the 160's and that will help with unknown ranges in the field. My hunting loads with the 140's run at about 2550 fps, which should be plenty for deer size game. mag

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
JK,

I haven't used the 140 gr. Gamekings, but I know the 120's don't shoot well in my hunting rifle (Winchester M70 Classic Featherweight in 6.5x55).

That said, for lack of fragmentation, and good accuracy, I would recommend the 140 gr. Nosler Partition. My second choice would be the 140 gr. Hornady Interlock #2450.

Both of these should shoot well in your M96, and do the job when they arrive at your target.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had great results with both the Nosler Partition and Ballistic Tip 140's on deer. One thing that I really liked was that both bullets could be interchanged in my rifle, all things being the same otherwise, and they shot to the same POI...Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been using 140, 160gr Hornady inter-locks w/ great results in my Military Swede's. My 1600 Husqvarna hunting rifle seems to max out at 129gr. If I even come close to max overall length w/ 140's, I hit the Rifling, and the bolt is hard to close. Forget commercial ammo in this puppy, not happening. I love the Rifle, but wanted to use 120..160gr bullets. She does shoot 87..129gr very well. jp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.