1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
One of my class-mates in college was 13 or 14 when the revolt broke out. He was one of the youths who threw Molotovs (actually - he said they mostly tried to get on top of buildings, or at least on upper floors and throw them down, hopefully into an open turret hatch) during the revolt. He and his father had to tun and managed to get across the Austrian border and got asylum. His mother and younger sister had to be left behind, and finally got out just before he graduated. He hated Communism and Russians, I'm not sure which worse and he'd have cheerfully roasted the Hungarian Communist authorities over slow fires if he'd gotten the chance.

Andy (Andras) is dead now, died way young of a heart attack, after becoming a doctor. After a tour as an Armor officer on the German border. He just might have been one of the few people in USAREUR then (1966-68 or 69) who about half wished the balloon would go up. Provide an opportunity to kill Communists and all...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
I have observed the same phenomenon myself. Andy had his reasons, I think, and I know what at least some of them were. I learned to dislike that bunch from him before i ever saw any of them in action - and when i did, I sure enough didn't see anything to change my feelings about them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.