Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Hungarian Mauser. Described as
Hungarian Model 43 M (German 98/40) 8X57 w/hood, matching, excellent bore, beautiful, original European walnut stock, 95%+. Asking price is $1,550.00. What do you think about the price. It does really look good! I understand the Hungarian Mauser's are very collectible.

Please let me know what you think of that price.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Firstly, It IS NOT!!! a "Hungarian Mauser".
It has a modified Mannlicher action, taken from the M1893/95/04 Steyr Actions( split bridge, charger Packet Mannlicher Mags), further modified in 1935 (Hungarian 35M) for the rimmed 8x56R 31M ammo, then Modified again, this time with a "Mauser" five shot stripper fed internal Magazine, in 1940, (G98/40) on contract for the III Reich.

In 1943, the Hungarian Army adopted this rifle as the 43M, also in 7,9 calibre, due to Hungary's increasing ammo commonality with the Germans.

Except for the double-column 5-round internal mag, which though developed by Mauser, was used in Many "non-Mauser " conceived rifle and derivatives, Thje Idea of calling a 43M a "Mauser" is the height of stupidity

That goes for the asking price as well. Not even if it was Admiral Horthy's Personal rifle would a normal 43M fetch that much...but of course, Fools and their money are soon Parted...a 43M in good condition, should make around $6-800

at most.
But on Auctions, there are a lot of Fools throwing their money away...

Doc AV
Straight Talking on Guns...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, It IS NOT!!! a "Hungarian Mauser".
It has a modified Mannlicher action, taken from the M1893/95/04 Steyr Actions( split bridge, charger Packet Mannlicher Mags), further modified in 1935 (Hungarian 35M) for the rimmed 8x56R 31M ammo, then Modified again, this time with a "Mauser" five shot stripper fed internal Magazine, in 1940, (G98/40) on contract for the III Reich.

In 1943, the Hungarian Army adopted this rifle as the 43M, also in 7,9 calibre, due to Hungary's increasing ammo commonality with the Germans.

Except for the double-column 5-round internal mag, which though developed by Mauser, was used in Many "non-Mauser " conceived rifle and derivatives, Thje Idea of calling a 43M a "Mauser" is the height of stupidity

That goes for the asking price as well. Not even if it was Admiral Horthy's Personal rifle would a normal 43M fetch that much...but of course, Fools and their money are soon Parted...a 43M in good condition, should make around $6-800

at most.
But on Auctions, there are a lot of Fools throwing their money away...

Doc AV
Straight Talking on Guns...
OK. I guess your really a "straight talker." Here's the link to it:

http://www.checkpointcharlies.com/e...ngarian-m43-8x57,-matching-and-excellent.html

What would you call it?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Not only is it 'excellent' but also has a walnut stock. which are in the minority with these models. That is worth a premium in my opinion! That is probably the nicest one I have ever seen!

PS; It is not an auction, that is the price being asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.