Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have been out of the Mosin collecting for some time and just picked up from my neighbor a very good condition non matching Hungarian M44 for $125.00, I think I did pretty good since I can't find ANY M44 variation anywhere for under a deuce. It has a clean bore, a slightly dented front sight globe and the usual dings and dangs on the stock. I did check headspace with my Okie units and it passed with flying colors. This should make a great hunting,scout,back up or whatever you can come with 'carbine'.....thoughts please? Thank you folks...:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
It sounds like you did very good to me. When will we see pictures & get a range report?

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Good ones have become rather scarce thats for sure.

·
Silver Bullet member
856 Posts
Saw 2 today, mismatches at $160 (but all hungarian parts) and also a polishM44 in a polish stock (mistmatch) with some russian parts at the same price.
Also saw a Tula M44 (yes tula) marked $160 but missing the bayonett and might have been not fully matching? (bolt was I think but for some reason I recall mismatch or maybe electropencil on one part?).
Saw some other interesting mosins today as well at decent prices but I'm trying to be more deliberate in my collecting.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hmm... never gave it much thought. I picked one up at a gun show for $50.00 a few years ago. The guy thought there was sometihing wrong with it because of all the rattling. He should have tightned the screws. Nice all matching and a nice shooter.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
there was one at a local gunshow 2 weeks ago, for $85 in good shape, it wasnt a matching bolt, but it was an all hungarian bolt, so theres 2 rifles with the wrong bolt and there was an all matching one today for $125. at the same show today there was a real nice 1943 (small date numbers about 1/8" high) tula 91/30, in a laminated stock with wrist thru bolt for $120 that was shouting to me when i walked by but i had already spent the last of my money on a 1935 tula hex 91/30 SCW with nice deep stamping on the star and numbers. i looked it over quickly but didnt see any flaming bomb stamps but it is stamped along the top flat "made in ussr"

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
I took a chance on a real pretty one with matching numbers on Gunbroker last summer. Saw the auction closing without enough time for questions. $100 shipped but it turned out to be a '53 Izzy in a Hungarian stock (it does have a lot of 02 marked parts, though). Since then, I've missed out on a few and been broke when a few others came up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just got to keep an eye open. Found a Hungarian M-44 a month ago, sitting on the $99 rack.
Although I'm told the big find this year was the 1953 dated, Romanian M-44.
They are out there, but not quite as easy to find as they once where. Probably a trend that will continue.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
anybody else have a romanian that came without the bayonet? my 1954 didnt and I suspect it came into a state like NJ that had the stupid bayonet ban

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
All matching in 85% plus shape with nice wood markings will start you at 275.00

·
Registered
725 Posts
I took a chance on a real pretty one with matching numbers on Gunbroker last summer. Saw the auction closing without enough time for questions. $100 shipped but it turned out to be a '53 Izzy in a Hungarian stock (it does have a lot of 02 marked parts, though). Since then, I've missed out on a few and been broke when a few others came up.
I think you really need to take a hard look at the stamp on the bbl. shank. Bet it's Romanian and not Izhevsk.

Draybo : )

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
You had better look that barrel marking up at 7.62x54r web site : I believe Hungary has a similar stamp to the Ishveck but it is larger, I don't ever personnaly remember seeing a 1953 russian M44.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
"You had better look that barrel marking up at 7.62x54r web site : I believe Hungary has a similar stamp to the Ishveck but it is larger, I don't ever personnaly remember seeing a 1953 russian M44."

No, the Hungarian stamp is distinctive. O2 :)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
post some pics please so we can positively identify it
this is hungarian

this is romanian

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
Wow what a retard moment. I had two guns mixed up... It's a '46 Izzy. Sorry!
:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.