Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Nice catch! I can't see it selling for any less in the future.
Excellent investment! :D

·
Banned
540 Posts
The big B on the buttstock is usually in a circle.

·
Banned
540 Posts
Nice Soviet "later 1944 and 1945" to early post-war era laminated M44 stock with the 1944 and later pressed in sling slot escutcheons, cross bolted wrist, and the spliced in toe. These sometimes show up in unissued original condition like this - I have a couple M44 carbines with these in my collection.

Too bad someone tried to make it look Hungarian (and make the otherwise very nice little Hunky carbine look all matching and original) by stamping bogus markings on it.
I was going to say bogus too but didn't want to rain on this guy's parade.They actually sell stamps to mark garand stocks with phony arsenal markings.

·
Silver Bullet member
953 Posts
Does B stand for Bougus? The number 02 looks some what disportional in scale. Not my call just my 2 cents. Stranger anomalies have surfaced. Once you think you seen it all....

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Everying thing shared makes us all a better educated collector.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,186 Posts
Hungarian sling slot liners are generally blued/black vs other variants with "in the white". The real give away for a Hungarian stocks on a M44 vs all other M44 style variations is the front sling slot liner on a Hungarian is 1 inch further to the rear than any other country variation. Yours appears to be in the standard location. I would say Russian stock. But just an opinion. Nice looking rifle.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
It looks like an early laminate the Russian used with no dye or stain on it. The bad news as the guess state the B is not circled and the Hungarians did not use laminated stocks only beech and elm. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, concensus has it pegged as a Russian with a bad Hungarian impersonation. I guess I should have done more homework. I will see the fellow again and talk with him, although I believe that he was straight up about not being quite sure about the rifle. Thanks for the input.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,688 Posts
Rain away fellows, I had questions myself. I did spend more than normal for a carbine on the off chance, but I am still pleased with the quality of the rifle.
Toolie showed it to me at the funshow yesterday. I am not familiar enough with Hungarian
M44s to know if it is correct or not.....I did wonder about the stock markings. It really is a beautiful piece though. I expect that if Toolie decides that he is unhappy with it, someone
will take it off his hands for its looks.......I sold an extra nice duplicate M44 for well over the price of the cheap ones to someone who had been looking at the cheap ones, he liked mine much better.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.