Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find some Light Ball ammo? It's been a while since I have done some shooting, but I'm getting back into it and need some ammo. I distinctly remember liking Hungarian Light Ball. Thanks!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find some Light Ball ammo? It's been a while since I have done some shooting, but I'm getting back into it and need some ammo. I distinctly remember liking Hungarian Light Ball. Thanks!!
You can find, Czech, Bulgarian, and Russian, some Polish still out there if you want Hungarian you are going to have to do some serious hunting. lol but have found some, although the price is through the roof for what you would have paid a year ago.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any recommendations as far as quality/value goes for the Czech, Bulgarian, Russian, and Polish? I don't hunt, just target shooting to be used for a 91/30, 91/30 PU Sniper, and an m38.
All depends on who you talk to, I prefer the Czech 147gr silver tip, for the price it is hard to beat. However I have heard people are getting good results with the Bulgarian 80's made. The Czech is fairly accurate for mil surp, as is the Russian the others I havent tried just talked to others, but I would say Czech, and Hungarian ammo are two of the best out there, however Hungarian has dried up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I haven't seen any Hungarian LB since AIM was carrying it last March/April...:(

·
Registered
177 Posts
I didnt know Hungarian had dried up...i just got a spam can dated 1970 on it for $100 yesterday.[/quo

Really, I am interested too as every where I have looked I am unable to find Hungarian unless it is heavy ball which I am in no way interested in, as the ammo is fired from a PSL. Mosin well thats another story it will eat anything that is 7.62x54R.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think the trader, auction sites, gun shows, and gun shops are about the only options currently available for the Hungarian light ball. Like others have already mentioned none of the medium to large wholesalers have had it in a while.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the spam can FTF from a guy here in south florida. He didnt know what kind it was and i guess he didnt care. He was looking for .223 ammo so i traded him 24 boxes of pmc for the spam can, a 1928 ex-dragoon, and a hard case

the kicker was i only paid $2.00 a box for the pmc

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought the spam can FTF from a guy here in south florida. He didnt know what kind it was and i guess he didnt care. He was looking for .223 ammo so i traded him 24 boxes of pmc for the spam can, a 1928 ex-dragoon, and a hard case

the kicker was i only paid $2.00 a box for the pmc
That makes me sick, why cant I run in to a deal like that. Wow great find, I hope you save some of it, as I am unsure if we will see it agian, really think it has become harder to find than the coveted 7N1. I am seriously jelous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone have any experience with certain casings splitting after firing? A buddy of mine told me heard of some kinds of rounds deforming/cracking when fired leading to difficult shell extraction. I believe he said it was Albanian rounds???? I have never seen any Albanian rounds out there so I don't know if these were the rounds he was talking about or not, but has anyone gotten a 'bad batch?'

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,559 Posts
The "Com Bloc" ammo that Century Arms International has for sale right now is late 70's early 80's Russian light ball (steel core). It's really nice, clean ammo and the price is right.

AIM Surplus and Widener's has 80's Czech light ball ammo for sale. I use this ammo regularly in my PSL with great results. It seems to be as accurate as the 60's Czech Silver tip ammo.

I haven't tried the Bulgarian, but some people really like the recent stuff that is currently available.

Edit: Check out this site for some comparisons, and pay particular attention to the standard deviations (smaller is better).

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

·
Registered
177 Posts
The "Com Bloc" ammo that Century Arms International has for sale right now is late 70's early 80's Russian light ball (steel core). It's really nice, clean ammo and the price is right.

AIM Surplus and Widener's has 80's Czech light ball ammo for sale. I use this ammo regularly in my PSL with great results. It seems to be as accurate as the 60's Czech Silver tip ammo.

I haven't tried the Bulgarian, but some people really like the recent stuff that is currently available.

Edit: Check out this site for some comparisons, and pay particular attention to the standard deviations (smaller is better).

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm
+1 The Bulgarian will be 80s production

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I really regret shooting 4-5 spam cans of Hungarian LPS-z, the past 2 years. If I had known, I would have simply shot Czech, which is still findable.

All Albanian, that I have fired has split the necks upon firing, no matter what I fired it thru. I avoid Albanian like the plague. The only reason that I have any (10-20 rounds) is for in my ammo collection.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
While it's not light ball, but heavy ball, I really like the M30 Yugo 7.62x54r. It's brass cased, copper jacketed projectiles, and lead core. Most of my rifles and carbines really love the stuff. Although rims can be to thick for some rifles. AIM and many other places have it right now.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_1980_s_7.62x54R_182grn_FMJ.html

AIM also has the light ball Czech that is the 1980's production copper washed cased variety, no lacquer on these.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_7.62x54R_Light_Ball.html

Centerfire Systems has the later production Bulgarian light ball.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/762x54rfmjspamcanof440rdspartam54r440.aspx

I only mentioned AIM and Centerfire because both are great outfits and they're board sponsors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.