Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Smoke pole shooter, bullet caster, milsurp accumulator and Finn collector.
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lucked into this beauty on a scam ridden regional buy and sell forum a while back (yes I bought a lottery ticket and no, I couldn't be THAT lucky) and thought it might be worth sharing if only for the want of good pictures of these online. All parts except the cleaning rod are correctly 02 marked, from the rear sight spring to the firing pin. The bore is close to new, something I've never seen before on rifles from the Middle East though its service there is beyond doubt. From my research the painted markings seem to be Egyptian though some claim Syrian. If anyone can clear that up I'd appreciate it. I assume this rifle came to Canada back in the good ole days of Century Int'l and their great warehouse in Montreal. The seller seemed convinced it saw use during the Arab -Israeli War. The bolt is definitely renumbered though completely 02 marked. The font looks to my eye similar to some I've seen on Hakims, thoughts? In any case it provides good company in the safe to its Magyar sniper cousin. For your viewing pleasure:

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Perhaps it came in with the Century Arms import batches of Israeli Captures.

I have similar markings on a Russian SKS, Chinese SKS and Russian M44. Not sure if I have seen the Hungarian 91/30 before. You do have a rare one. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've never seen any 91/30s (or M48s) with arabic markings before, and now I've seen these two, thanks!

Reactions: daveccarlson

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Saw the M44s with white Arabic script/ numbers painted on the stocks in German gunshops decades ago... First for me to see the 91/30 and Hungarian to boot! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback and contributions. This thread is probably the single largest grouping of photos of these online! Hopefully someday the marking scheme painted onto the stocks is decoded. I notice that my rifle, the bolt on HogsWild's rifle and Ruprecht's rifle all are from the DH serial number prefix range. It seems that rifles were not drawn at random from Hungarian inventory. I wonder if these rifles weren't originally sent to Egypt as part of the 1955 arms deal between Nasser and the Soviets.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It has been a long time since this subject has come up, but then it's been a while since these were imported. My sample showed up at Big 5 Sporting Goods mixed in with Century Arms imports of tired 91-30s from Romania, 15 years ago (? memory...). At first I almost passed it by due to the thick crust of reddish crud that looked like heavy rust, but at $49.95 I decided to take a chance. Good thing, the "rust" was aged cosmoline and heavy dust! After cleaning the blue was 90% plus original and the bore was mint. This was about the time that Century was bringing in Eqyptian arms such as the Hakim, Rashid, and FN49, so these Hungarians may have come directly from Egypt as well. Like most of the reported samples mine is in the DH serial number block; the bolt and floorplate are mismatched but also DH numbered. The white paint on the buttstock equates to "101", most likely a rack number, and no markings on the left side.
Sorry for pic quality... and the floorplate pic was useless.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
As a ps, KH, aka Karl-Heinz Wrobel, was collecting serial number data on East Block Mosin production. Perhaps he will notice this thread and let us know how many Hungarian M48s have shown up in his data base.....please?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My new acquisition doesn't have Arabic markings on it, but it looks like a nice addition to the collection. Here's the closed auction link:

So the correct model designation for these is "Hungarian M48"? Good to know...
Awesome to see more contributions to this thread. Yes, they're the Infantry Rifle (Gyalogsági Puska) Mosin Nagant Model 1948. The Hungarians adopted several arms in 1948, the Infantry Sniper Rifle, Tokarev pistol, "Police Pistol" (Walther PP copy) not to mention the Carbine M44 and postwar iteration of the Lámpagyár training rifle. You can read more on Manowar's Hungarian Weapons & History which is an excellent resource for Austro-Hungarian and Hungarian firearms.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Awesome to see more contributions to this thread. Yes, they're the Infantry Rifle (Gyalogsági Puska) Mosin Nagant Model 1948. The Hungarians adopted several arms in 1948, the Infantry Sniper Rifle, Tokarev pistol, "Police Pistol" (Walther PP copy) not to mention the Carbine M44 and postwar iteration of the Lámpagyár training rifle. You can read more on Manowar's Hungarian Weapons & History which is an excellent resource for Austro-Hungarian and Hungarian firearms.
I'm very familiar with the site, and have contributed several photos for it. It's an exceptional resource for all things Hungarian, I'm surprised it didn't cross my mind to look there for information on these rifles. I've got quite a sub-collection of Hungarian weapons - At least 4 Budapest Steyr M95's, 2 G98/40's, 2 FEG 37M pistols, 2 P.Mod.37 pistols and a Frommer Stop with a 1922 acceptance date.

I've also got 2 unopened packs of Hungarian cigarettes.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Back to the topic at hand, these are exceptional rifles, thanks for sharing them! I'm curious as to how these ended up being used in the Middle East, and when. Any insights? The only rifles I've got with a similar connection are 2 8mm converted Carcano carbines with remnants of white paint on the buttstocks. I've seen photos of a Mosin-Nagants with an Arabic marked rear sight, would love to stumble across one of those someday.

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
Some of those Lampagyars trainer pics are from one in my collection. It is a fun rifle to go plinking with.

Also have an M48 but it is one of the ones that somehow ended up in Russia and was refurb'ed by them with a mixture of Izhevsk & 02 parts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back to the topic at hand, these are exceptional rifles, thanks for sharing them! I'm curious as to how these ended up being used in the Middle East, and when. Any insights? The only rifles I've got with a similar connection are 2 8mm converted Carcano carbines with remnants of white paint on the buttstocks. I've seen photos of a Mosin-Nagants with an Arabic marked rear sight, would love to stumble across one of those someday.
The Egyptian-Czechoslovakian arms deal of 1955 is my best guess however it's also possible they came in later with subsequent purchases. They could have been available to the Egyptian Army during or ordered in response to the Suez Crisis, North Yemen Civil War the Six Day War and probably a few other squabbles I've forgotten about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.