Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking out for some Hungarian ammo and noticed on some sites the inner packaging is shown as paper wrapping but on 7.62x54r.net it's shown as cardboard. I'm holding out for this only because it looks sturdier once out of the can. What is the year to look for with cardboard or otherwise can labeling? Thank you.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
The waxy paper wrap is in the earlier production Hungarian ammunition. I am not sure of the exact date change, but the 1970 and newer light ball in the modern spam cans has always been in the boxes in the Hungarian ammo I had. Maybe someone can pin down the date of modernization for you.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Thank you. I found some '70's ammo shown on CTD and SG but they both also showed paper wrapping so I wanted to ask.
Right....but for sure there is no guarantee what wrapping you will get as they may have done both types simultaneously down the line...

In any case you will get GOOD AMMO! The Hungarian has always shot as pretty as it looked in my rifles.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
The Hungarian Lt. Ball has been great ammo for me. Its really sure fire accurate stuff and I got mine from J&C. THey are great folks to buy ammo from and I have been buying from
them for the last 4 years and over 30 cases . Its only been recently they have had the Hungarian and I really intend to stock up on it. Their Pole is great too.

Do not know why but the laquar green color Czech Light Ball just does not shoot well in my rifles. Transplant the bullet and powder into new Privi primed brass and the accuracy is wonderful. I think the Czech stuff has
cruddy priming. YMMV on it but thats what happened in my foxhole.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I kept on searching and found some advertised exactly as packaged, 80's and in cardboard boxes. Good to go now. http://www.jandcsales.com/762x54r.html
Cheaper than Dirt has "1970s to 1984 date".....I bet J&G has the same. That is...there may be no assurance that you will get 1980s date/box pack ammo from J&G as I am sure these guys have the same source for this ammo. Give them a call before if it is a real deal breaker for you.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
My 1969 Hungarian ammo is in wax paper with twine tied around it. I do not really like this ammo alot of hang fires. But it does always go boom.
You may want to check your firing pin protrusion and install a new spring. $8 from Wolff.

We have shot countless thousands of Hungarian LB ST over the years, and never had FTF.If you are having delayed fire ( hang fire) it is very unusual and may be due to storage conditions. It is not normal for the Hungarian to have problems.

It is quality ammo and extremely accurate at long range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.