Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes us retired guys have too much idle time on our hands :)

Anyway, a thread I read a short while back concerned converting a worn out SMLE to 22LR and that got me to thinking....to the point of putzing.

This isn't a job to be done on a kitchen table or a B&D Workmate, but is there any reason all the existing 303 components can't be converted to handle 22?

By filling the bolthead and reboring, it appears as though after a quick check that the FP hole only needs to be offset about .130 or so. (Critical measurements taken should such a project ever really take shape)
Is there any reason not to increase the travel of a 303 extractor by changing the angle in the bolthead and slightly undercutting the extractor itself? Then the 303 head could be reshaped to properly grasp the edge on the rimfire case.

The only added part would be a rimfire FP for the head which doesn't seem to be all that difficult to make in a home workshop. Should be easier to fit/control the amount of FP protrusion too.

That leaves bore relining and chambering which any conversion would need.

Thinking a 22 WMR could possibly be a project worth undertaking should a bubba'd SMLE fall into my lap at the right price again.

Things like this tend cross my mind when the Cubs are down 6 runs in the playoffs.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,538 Posts
.22 Wrm

If going along that route, why not use the .17 HMR? That's the one I'd like. A milling machine could recess the bolt face the depth of the .22 rim, and give more support. Not that it'd need it, I would guess. Relining the bore would seem to me to be the show stopper.
What? the Cubs made the playoffs?
(I gave up baseball after the second strike) :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
JB,
Why not buy a .22 bolt head, firing pin and extractor, cut the old firing pin back to the flange and go that way? I bought my bolt head, firing pin and extractor from Numrich. They might still have them for sale.
Then you would need a chambered barrel liner.

Peter in CA

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Good idea

Nice idea on .22 mag, I think I'll put it on my list of things to make someday!

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The .17 would be OK, but I am sort of fond of the 22 mag and have been for quite a while. I suppose I could just buy the parts, but that would be the easy way :)
Actually I was thinking along the lines of not being able to find parts for sale. A sort of "What to do if.."

Relining the barrel shouldn't pose too much of a problem for me aside from the cost of the liner itself, bit w/pilot, and the reamer. All are readily available, so the only thing to consider aside from the cost is: Do I need it, do I want it, and is it worth it.

The more I think on how to go about making up a 22 WMR, the more attractive the idea is becoming. If the Cubs don't get on the stick soon, I might have some extra time....next week! LOL

Seriously though, it would need to wait. Even though the end is in sight, there are still a few rainy days left before I get around to putting the finishing touches on the BubbaMauser.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
its a doable thing , it might be easier to do with the bolthead as noted just to reduce the machine time ,
and as long as we are discussing it isnt there a centerfire 22cal small cartrige ?
i did one of my M1903A3s

and im not all that handy really - i did have a little help from my friends

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Centre fire .22 cartridge, would be the 297/230 Morris short or long. a bottle necked .22. Real pain in the arse to make. Had to, since I have a SMLE chambered for the damm thing.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,861 Posts
Guns and Ammo in the 1960's had an article on converting the No.2 MkIV* .22 rifle to .22 Hornet centerfire. New firing pin, bolt head and a chamber reamer. I have a rifle that someone set up that way.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
seems there are all sorts of options out there , and if you do something please post the photos - i would love to see your project , it sounds like fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts