Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just kind of happened. I was not looking for another Garand but some deals you just cant pass up. Comes with a CMP certificate from 2009. I was told its mostly correct but I wont mess with it. I like it the way it is. This is my second M1. The other is a SA I bought directly from the CMP a few years ago. I read that the HRA rifles have a very good fit and finish. Well, what do you think? John.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
This just kind of happened. I was not looking for another Garand but some deals you just cant pass up. Comes with a CMP certificate from 2009. I was told its mostly correct but I wont mess with it. I like it the way it is. This is my second M1. The other is a SA I bought directly from the CMP a few years ago. I read that the HRA rifles have a very good fit and finish. Well, what do you think? John.
It looks like a nice one. I would be curious which other parts on it are HRA. Regardless by the looks of it I agree it would be tough to pass up and I am sure it will be fun to shoot!

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is a very nice 3/8 inch DAS stock, which off the top of my head is correct for that serial number range. The bolt is incorrect, but the thing is, sometimes HRA or IHC had to use Springfield stuff if there was a shortage or getting production off the ground so always research before assuming something is incorrect on these. I agree with what you said and would leave it alone or keep the parts it came with at least. The bolt should be HRA, op rod, rear sights, trigger group, barrel usually but not alway HRA. If not, looks fantastic as is.

I am fond of HRA garands myself. I think they have about the nicest finish of all the M1's. Do be careful with that stock, it's a beauty. Great score.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a very nice 3/8 inch DAS stock, which off the top of my head is correct for that serial number range. The bolt is incorrect, but the thing is, sometimes HRA or IHC had to use Springfield stuff if there was a shortage or getting production off the ground so always research before assuming something is incorrect on these. I agree with what you said and would leave it alone or keep the parts it came with at least. The bolt should be HRA, op rod, rear sights, trigger group, barrel usually but not alway HRA. If not, looks fantastic as is.

I am fond of HRA garands myself. I think they have about the nicest finish of all the M1's. Do be careful with that stock, it's a beauty. Great score.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I will pull it apart soon and look it over. I do not know much about heat numbers and such. I will try to identify the maker of the major parts. I believe the trigger group is also SA.

·
Silver Bullet member
262 Posts
Actually, the -12 bolt revision is a WW2 manufacture part so not likely it was original. The bolt revision level got up to at least -19 in WW2. Post war, the drawing number for the bolt changed to 6528287 for Springfield, HRA and IHC.

·
Banned
2,310 Posts
Nice post-war shooter, apparently low miles, typical of 2009 era service grades. One thing to check is how straight the op rod is in the barrel channel and at the stock ferrule. For whatever reason, HRA rods were not as true there. At the time it didn't bother the government but we owners tend to be a fussier lot. With luck you have a SA op rod, or maybe your HRA rod runs true. Barrel indexing can be part of it too, if the rod is rubbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.