Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have passed on a couple M-94s imported back during the period when they added a barrel extention.

How were those usually attached, Silver Solder ??

Has anyone sucessfully removed one without it looking all buggered up?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
There are, I think, two methods. One is pressed into an oversize hole. I think the other is soldered but I don't know if it was silver soldered. Far as I know there have been successful repairs done by gunsmiths to mitigate the UGLY of the extension. It takes a little finese to do it without hurting the barrel. There have also been those who just replaced the barrel with a new one from Sarco when they had new barrels. I don't know if I'd go that far but it works.

Dutchman

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,603 Posts
Some barrel extensions were pressed in , while most seem to be welded in place . The excess weld was turned off , sometimes leaving a tiny ridge of weld that prevents the bayonet lug from being removed . Some people claim they are soldered in place , but I have never seem one like it .

I either case , removing the extension will leave an ugly counterbore in your barrel . I would suggest leaving it alone . Replacing the barrel is worst than the extension , as it would not be matching . These extensions were required by law at the time of importation to meet the minimum legal 18 inch barrel length . That law was later changed to 16 inches . These extensions are a fact of life that has been excepted by collectors .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts