Gunboards Forums banner

Howards Feed & Wax

11K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  John Crusher 
Well, whether or not you put on anything like wax, I have cleaned off a whole lot of dried grease, slime and nasty caked oil from stocks with Murphy's Oil Soap and light rubbing, a technique I was shown by the wood cleaners at the National Cathedral.
When you see the nasty stuff on some battlefield condition stocks I have cleaned up, you realize that the grime would eventually destroy any original finish under it.
Even in my dry state of Kalifornia, I have never seen any stocks crack on my old Winchesters or British shotguns or anything else, but I sure wouldn't leave real oily dirt on any finsh as it eats right in over time.
I personally have sometimes used Gibson Guitar Wax on some stocks, figuring if it is good enough for my Gibson and Mertin guitars (which have a shellac finish) it wouldn't hurt a gunstock, but usually nothing is needed but an occasional wipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.