Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a mint toyo Kogyo 30th series 99. I want to remove the front sling swivel to put a nice rubberized canvas sling on it. the sling is rock hard so I do not want to try and pry it off and mess it up.Is it possible to remove the barrel or would you try and remove the front sight, knowing you could mess the retaining pin up. any ideas on what to do.The sling is also on a toyo kogyo 99. Thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Removing Sling

I would not even think about removing the front sight to slip a band on the rifle. I had a rock hard sling on a rifle that I gave to a friend and it was in the summer and he put the rifle in the sunshine and it softened it up enought to get it off. I have heard you can do the same with a hair drier. riceone.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey Sarge:
First if it is a 30th series Toyo, it has the taller front sight so you cannot disassemble the front band and remove it first, and you must do that to remove the rear band. Some folks bens the front sight ears inward to allow passage of the front band, but the sight is ruined in most cases, yes you can also remove the taper pin and remove the front sight but typically a difficult operation at best.
I second the advice of Riceone and heat that rock hard sling if you must remove that original sling and substitute another, Unless you intend to shoulder the rifle or enter it in a beauty contest I would not tamper with the original one.
Semper Fi and all that !!!!!
Vicasoto ( Sp. 5 USA Avn. )

·
Registered
293 Posts
sling

Hello, I have a mint toyo Kogyo 30th series 99. I want to remove the front sling swivel to put a nice rubberized canvas sling on it. the sling is rock hard so I do not want to try and pry it off and mess it up.Is it possible to remove the barrel or would you try and remove the front sight, knowing you could mess the retaining pin up. any ideas on what to do.The sling is also on a toyo kogyo 99. Thanks
Why screw up a nice rifle simply to put a piece of crap on it? Rock hard slings arn't really nice. If you are intent on placing the sling on this rifle, soften it with a hair dryer, a section at a time. Keep in mind the sling will harden again. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I bought a mint T99 last year w/all bells and whistles-hard nasty sling.
I ain't messing with it.
My jungle humping days are over anyways.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yes, leave it alone, you will basically be ruining the history of the gun. I have noticed alot of people replacing parts because they dont look very nice(ie dinged up stock, ugly slings, or putting on dust covers on non dustcover rifles), this is the same thing bubba did, put something else on it so it would look nice.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Josh, I beg to differ, but changing slings from one arsenal rifle to another does not monkey with history. A sling is a sling is a sling. Broken slings were replaced, not all slings are original to the rifle, but like others have posted, I'd look for a good sling and leave the rock-hard sling where it is. Rodent

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
One point I failed to mention, you are correct if the sling has unit markings, etc. It's my belief that any "marked" sling should stay with the rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,195 Posts
Best to leave those raggedy, crumbly & ugly rubberized slings alone. If it's "froze up" there on whatever rifle, then leave it be! No one is doing history any favors by enhancing their rifle with a sling (or wharever) that wasn't original to it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Agreeing with Adogs, again, oh my!

Adogs is correct, those hardened rubberized slings are just too fragile to do much with.
If they are on a rifle, leave it.

If loose, you might be able to get it on something with the hair dryer trick, but why? The couple I have on rifles are a constant source of irritation to me.

I have a 'hard' rubber T99 sling that the guy I bought a rifle from had removed- now it just gets in the way(how do you store a loose sling that is stiff as a yardstick?maybe I need to hang it on my tie rack) and is way too fragile IMO to put back on a rifle; not to mention he lost the hardware and keeper in the process.

Leather slings that are still pliable are another issue all together. I have to agree with Ronin that a marked sling should probably stay with its rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts