Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a rifle i may purchase since the price is right but it has an issue. somebody tried to bend the bolt down. it is the correct length. is there any way to straighten it without harming the integrity of the bolt handle? i think that using a mallet to beat it back straight may damage the integrity of the handle it it would come flying off one day when the rifle had a sticky bolt. would it be better to use a benzene torch and heat it up to straighten it out? any help is appreciated. i could probably get the rifle for an awesome price since bubba got to it but i don't want to pick it up if i can return it to its former glory.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've heard that he is good but isn't he the one that is taking a long while to turn around bolts?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ted, you dang well know the answer to that question is YES. O'course, that's why we keep a few hundred back-up Mosins on hand!

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,674 Posts
Jim the Boltman does great work. Expect a 6 to 8 week turnaround. I do not know what he charges to "straighten" a bolt vs bending and modding to PU spec ($55 +/-). You may want to contact him for a price first as that could influence your "price is right" purchase when adding the straightening cost to the rifle. If the bolt is currently a mismatch then just get a new bolt handle and you are done.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reason i mentioned the wait is that it is a rifle that i already own a better example of. i was looking to get it to trade or to sale. also that is the reason that i was going to try to do it myself.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,152 Posts
IMO, sell it as it is. Let the new owner decide if he/she/it wants to straighten out the bolt.

A regular replacement (straight) bolt body usually runs around $10-$15.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Most any good gunsmith will be able to straighten it for you. If I could get through all the trash I have stored in the garage to the torch set I would say send her over but that garage is a disaster right now. I have done quite a few with a torch and a vise and a short piece of pipe that fits tightly to the nob on the bolt. after it cools run it on the wire wheel where the heat has discolored it and then use a green scubby pad to even out the scratching from the wheel and if you want then use jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel. Good as new! Bill

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'd just get a bolt that is unstamped from numrich or someplace like that and have it stamped to match the rifle if SN's are important to you. You can keep the original to show that it is all there and it will cost a lot less and turn around is less too.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Stamping to match because it once had a matching bolt isn't completely honest IMO. By that reasoning we could restamp all our Mosins. Even straightening a matched bolt that was bent is a little iffy.

None of that matters in this case though since it doesn't match. Just buy a new un-numbered (or numbered for that matter) bolt body and swap them out. Rick Reich should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nooooo, i would never restamp it to match. it doesn't match anyway so that is way too much trouble. i already need to order some stuff from rick so i will try that.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Stamping

I only mentioned that with the thought that a matching bolt was already there. Otherwise I wouldn't do it either, unless you did the line out thing. But thinking more about it, it still wouldn't be the same so I retract that part of my idea.:eek::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts