Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a patch of Jyväskylä district recently and tried to compare it to one my brother's which I believe to be original. They are close but how to tell if mine is original and not aged repro?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,763 Posts
Best way is to use UV light. 90% of the copies are made with synthetic thread and the white (on the back) will "light up". Right off the bat - there isn't anything that indicates repro when I look at the pictures. Will take a better look at home where I have a better computer screen

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,395 Posts
I collect WW2 US divisional patches and its hard to tell- the look and feel- THe black light.The edge and the White background-if it was a US patch I would say its a good WW 2 one.I dont know how much market there is for CG stuff and if it is worth it to have repro cloth made.US Patch prices can be insane.There is a lot of patch traffic on ebay and you have to really look both online and at Military shows.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,763 Posts
I looked at the patches on my computer at home - there isn't any "red flags" that I could see. The variation of material, details like color,size,shape is very wide on the CG patches depending on when they are made. There are some fairly good copies on the market, but the white thread on the backside will "glow" in UV light. The repro patches also tend to be a bit stiffer to the touch than the original ones

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
Maybe if you're nice to Señor Thomas, he can post some pics of some reproduction patches.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
I have both of those patches original on tunics m/27 and 32 and have the repro if the blue yellow. Ill try to post them for you. Easiest way is the piping is tighter and thinner and the sprigs a different shape. Jeparigives good advice too as the original ones are cotton and fold easily. Reprisals are stiff and will retain their shape.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vic, it would be great. As a matter of fact my patch isn't stiff but really sloppy, even more so than my brother's. And that was one of my major concern! :)

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
That's a good thing in my book. Originals can be folded up like paper I've found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.