Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1895 Marlin in 38-56 and I bought some Buffalo Arms ammunition the other day. What is the best way to clean the bore after firing... don't want it to get rusty or pitted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Black powder fouling is mostly KCl, a salt. You can’t neutralize it, you must remove it and nothing is better than water. Hot, cold, your choice. Suggest you put rifle in a cradle, upside down so water doesn’t fall in action and swab barrel with wet patches until no fouling remains. Since it’s a Marlin, the bolt comes out easily and you can clean from breach end if you’re comfortable and minimize water falling into anything. Afterwards, dry thoroughly. After dry, apply oil to the barrel. If you have Ballistol, after running drying patches through the barrel, do a Ballistol patch, follow by dry patch and end with a Ballistol patch. Ballistol emulsifies with water and any water remaining after your drying patch will be picked by the Ballistol. The last Ballistol patch will protect the barrel from corrosion. Not the only way, but my way and it works for me. I’m sure others will chime in with their solutions that work too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would suggest if at all possible use hot water to clean the bore. The heat will be absorbed and help in drying out the bore when your done. For cartridge arms you can use a funnel and a piece of tubing to fit the chamber then pour in the water. Used this on muskets and cartridge guns. Patching and oiling is the last step.

·
Gold Bullet Member
212 Posts
Greetings,

Many folks like me who enjoy shooting BP have had good results with a cleaning solution we refer to as "moose milk". (four parts of water and one part of Ballistol)
I keep it in a screw top plastic jar in my shooting kit and I use a disposable plastic syringe to dispense it onto my bore cleaning patches.

Best of Luck,
03spr

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bring water to the range and start the cleaning process there.Wipe anything that came in contact with any powder residuewater down the bore, patch after patch while she's still hot,dry it off and oil it.Then when I'm home,boiling water down the bore, in the tub (wife loves that),followed by drying and oiling everything so it is like I never fired it.But I enjoy the process,I know it's a little overkill.But with so many guns being fired with corrosive primers,I just line them up and have at it.Cosmoline always appears somewhere I swear I've cleaned Intensively before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.