Gunboards Forums banner

This Thread Is No Longer Valid - How to Post Photos

13K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  geladen 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is no longer valid after the September 2020 Gunboards upgrade.

~~~

I was asked how to post photos and I responded in a PM to avoid hijacking the thread. Then I thought this might be of some use to new members, so here it is:

1. Buy a camera; it does not have to be expensive. The camera I bought new in 2001 and still use is not the best but, as an example, right now Ebay has seven used Sony DSC P30 cameras like mine ranging from $9.88 to $22.00. You can download an owner’s manual from Sony.

2. For posting, you don’t want your photos to be too large. You can set your camera for different size photos; I use 640X480 (email size). My photos are technical photos to show detail as opposed to artistic photos, favored by some.

3. I mainly take gun photos outside in open shade or overcast to avoid shadows. For full length rifle photos and other photos at 4-5 feet distance, I use half flash to brighten the photo. That also warms the color balance which can be rather cool in open shade or overcast, but it can cause reflections. I also use half flash at about 4 feet distance with telephoto in order to fill the frame to take a shot of a bayonet mounted on the rifle.

4. Very close photos are best taken under artificial light. I use a full spectrum 150W desk light with no flash. Use macro setting and position light and camera to minimize shadows. Using sunlight can be an option but it is more difficult to control shadows.

5. Learn to compose your photos properly in the viewfinder (screen) instead of later in some computer program. For a full length rifle shot, I put the butt in the lower left corner and the muzzle in the upper right corner for the bolt side of the rifle, then the opposite for the other side of the rifle. That makes the rifle as large as possible in the photo. I take a shot of the mounted bayonet with separate scabbard in a different photo.

6. Use a neutral background. Gray weathered wood or a gray blanket work well. Photos posted with a busy background drive me nuts.

7. Download photos from camera to computer. Under the existing directory (folder) “Pictures”, I have added sub-directories such as Gun Photos, Mauser crests, etc. Label the photos of different guns uniformly so that you can easily find them later. For example, German K98k 42-1939 1.jpg. That is: last country of use/model/manufacturer-year made/photo number. A second gun of the same model/manufacturer/year would be II; for example: Colombian FN1950 Carbine” and “Colombian FN1950 Carbine II”.

To post photos on Gunboards:
At the top, go to Forum Actions.
Go to General settings.
Go to Miscellaneous Options.
Go to Enhanced Attachment Uploading.
Select Enhanced Attachment Uploading off. (Do this one time only)

Start a thread. You can practice at: Test Forum

Go to Post new Thread. (If you click on "Reply" instead of going to "Post New Thread", you will also need to click on "Go Advanced".)
Enter your text in the post.
Go to Manage Attachments.
Go to Choose File.
Go to the desired directory (like Gun Photos).
Find desired photo and double click on it.
After selecting all desired photos, go to Upload.
After upload is finished, go to Close This Window.
Go to Preview Post.
Go to Submit New Thread.

Go to Reply to make a new post if you need to post more than 10 photos. There is a way to post 12 photos in the original post, but that is left as an exercise for the student to figure out.

Gunboards will sometimes mess up the sequence of photos for reasons unknown as seen below. Sequence numbers are shown in the photo labels; the last three photos are posted first in error, out of sequence.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Artificial light

Gunboards posted these correctly in order, 1 through 6.

Attachments

#6 ·
I can't tell you anything about your phone; I use a camera to take photos.

After you download the photos from your phone to your computer, most any photo editing program will enable you to spin the photo to the orientation desired. Do that first, then post your photos to Gunboards.

I have Picasa 3 (photo editor) from Google. It may be free, I don't know, or maybe it came on my computer. There are other, probably better, photo editor programs available. You may have one on your computer that you did not notice. At work I think I have MS Photo Editor on my computer because that is what came with the computer.

#8 ·
You could experiment and find out which way you have to rotate your photos in your computer to make them come out right on Gunboards - or you could get a camera. It seems that something on Gunboards is misreading the orientation info on your photos. There is a Test forum for that purpose.

If the problem is intermittent and not constant, get a camera.

I know that Gunboards will intermittently mess up the photo sequence.

#12 ·
My mistake; if you make a reply to a post like I am now doing, to include photos it is necessary to click on "Go Advanced" which is just below the message I am currently writing.

If you go to "Post New Thread" you are automatically in 'advanced'. 'Advanced' gives you the box labeled "Additional Options" which contains the button "Manage Attachments".

I corrected the original post.

#14 ·
Nug, that's mostly good info but you miss an important point copied below from my original post:

Go to General settings.

I quit using "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" a long time ago because of problems experienced with it. I still see others daily who are unable to successfully post photos; I suspect that is because they are using
"Enhanced Attachment Uploading". It may work fine for you and some others but it did not work reliably for me and may be causing the current epidemic of posted photos that are not visible.

With
"Enhanced Attachment Uploading" turned off you select photos from your hard drive, not photos stored at Gunboards. And it works reliably for me, at least, to turn it off.

#15 ·
Sorry Bill, I was just trying to help. If I have not, I will gladly delete what I have posted, just say the word.

But, in my defense, I have to say I haven't a clue what you are talking about. I just do what I say and it works fine for me.
As for the "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" If it's on those pages I copied, I haven't noticed it. Maybe, if as you say you do the following only once, then maybe I did and simply don't remember. I do have a rather strongly developed 'forgetter.'
In any case, that lets me take images from my computer and it automatically stores them here. I can use them or not.

Go to General settings.
I just gotta put up one more picture...

Weelll... A few more...:sorry:The 'stack arms' was a few we had out one weekend shooting day at home. The young fellow with the rifle was my own dear old dad, I think maybe right after the war. (THE War- WWII)

#16 ·
Nug, there is no need to delete your posts. In post #14 I was just pointing out a technical aspect.

Here is what we have:

The default "Enhanced Attachment Uploading" gave me problems with posting photos, so I deselected it a long time back.

You are using "
Enhanced Attachment Uploading" and experiencing no problems.

Many others are currently finding the photos they attempt to post do not display. Is that because they are using EAU? If they deselected EAU would that remove the problem posting photos? Unknown.

All I really know is that deleting EAU fixed the photo posting problem for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.