Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen 5 shot enbloc clips for sale but was just wondering if anyone has modified the standard 8round clip to hold 5 for hunting.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You do know the 5 shot Garand clips cost around $5. You also know what they look like? A person could cut and bend one. I am assuming that is how they are made. Not from scratch, but from old stock 8 shot clips.

I guess the only question might be if they need to be made soft and then re-harden. I seriously doubt that. I recommend buy one as a guide. Or just buy 2 and forget about it.

My 2c, FWIW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s far less expensive and easier to just purchase 5 round enbloc clips that are pre made. You can make your own from the 8 round clip but it requires heating the metal to remove the spring temper, cutting and bending the metal and then heat treating the metal again to spring temper it.
It’s far cheaper to purchase new and you save on ruining several 8 round clips until you have perfected the cutting, bending and tempering process.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just buy some but haven't seen them for sale up here so sure they may only be $5 US but there would probably be $20 or more in shipping and I'm a handy guy as well as a cheapskate. I thought there would be some untempering and tempering to do and figured if someone had the proper dimensions or some type of blue print then it would save possibly ruining some through trial and error. I have looked at pictures of them and it looks simple enough. Just thought maybe someone on here might have done it and could give me some tips.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Maybe you can deviate from the official pattern. How about riveting two pieces inside an 8 shot to prevent loading more than 5.

It is possible to load a gun using an 8 shot clip with less than 8. You could do a pretty sloppy job of it and come up with a clip that wont take more than 5 and get the job done. Or you might develop a good tight clip. The 8 shot clips are dime a dozen, so to speak. If you strike out here, you could experiment on your own.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
ebay.ca That is canada eh? 5 clips, 5 shot, $25CA

or 2 for $10

on and on, many listings to choose from.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ebay.ca That is canada eh? 5 clips, 5 shot, $25CA

or 2 for $10

on and on, many listings to choose from.
Thanks for the links the first one is a simple style I hadn't seen before and I think like you mentioned rivets may easily achieve that style or a little work with my rotary tool could easily duplicate it, cause remember I'm cheap.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have seen 5 shot enbloc clips for sale but was just wondering if anyone has modified the standard 8round clip to hold 5 for hunting.
Here ya go--these are pretty crude looking but apparently work:

Reactions: Str8pull

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
Back in the day (60's or 70's), The American Rifleman had a short (1/2 page?) feature about modifying En-Blocs to hold 5 rounds.

If memory serves, the instructions consisted of annealing part of the clip, and then silver soldering (or spot welding) a square-shaped nut in the correct location for the 'bottom' round to sit against. The clip needed to be annealed where the solder, or weld material went so it would stick.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Kind of an old thread but maybe folks are still needing info..

Scroll down for 2 and 5 round modified clips.
M1 Garand S.L.E.D. Clip (Single Loading Enhancement Device)

I got, and use, the 2 round model and at the time the 5 round model was out. I'm going to order the 5 round now.
The OP steadfast refuses to pay for them. No matter how easy to order or how low the price. He is determined to make his own. I do not believe he was even willing to buy one as a pattern.

So, nice try.

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
Kind of an old thread but maybe folks are still needing info..

Scroll down for 2 and 5 round modified clips.
M1 Garand S.L.E.D. Clip (Single Loading Enhancement Device)

I got, and use, the 2 round model and at the time the 5 round model was out. I'm going to order the 5 round now.
Heck, for two rounds I have always just used the unmodified 8 rounders.

If you 'criss-cross' the two rounds so they hold each other inside the clip, when you insert the clip into the magazine, they will straighten themselves out and will load just fine. This is a trick I learned from one of my brothers (he was some 15 years older than me) who used to shoot in DCM matches back in the 60's and 70's.

I get some funny looks at the range when I do this, but then you can see the light bulbs go on inside the heads of the observers when they see how well it works..

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,864 Posts
Heck, for two rounds I have always just used the unmodified 8 rounders.

If you 'criss-cross' the two rounds so they hold each other inside the clip, when you insert the clip into the magazine, they will straighten themselves out and will load just fine. This is a trick I learned from one of my brothers (he was some 15 years older than me) who used to shoot in DCM matches back in the 60's and 70's.

I get some funny looks at the range when I do this, but then you can see the light bulbs go on inside the heads of the observers when they see how well it works..
done that many a time when shooting Garand matches,

works like a charm

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Why not just use a regular 8 round enbloc and only load 5 rounds into the magazine? The main reason the 5-round en blocs exist is to allow rapid fire stage reloading for 10-round strings in service rifle matches (although most shooters load 2 & 8), which is not necessary for hunting. It's not like you are going to stalk your game and then load a 5-round clip from an open bolt. And if you miss with all five rounds and have to reload, I hate to tell you, but it's too late!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I belive for hunting his magazine capacity must be limited to 5 rounds. That is the case in many areas in USA. The OP is from Canada and specifically mentions this is for hunting.

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
You could also solder three dummy rounds together and just load them into the 'bottom end' of the clip.

It might take a little bit of ingenuity to initially get them inside the clip, but that problem should be pretty solvable.

When the bolt encounters the top one of the three soldered rounds, things are very likely going to come to a screeching halt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts