Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
48,792 Posts
Sfc your are the main man for sure..what about regular mags?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Sfc your are the main man for sure..what about regular mags?

regular mags? unless it something simple like making it accept one caliber for another, with spacers like the PPS43 in this instance, then no, I don't make them from scratch

·
Silver Bullet member
48,792 Posts
Thsnks for your time ..if when mine is built I post photos.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
got back from the range, and as I predicted the mag ran perfectly :thumbsup:, ran 150 rounds through it, no jams, misfeeds, "stove piping" etc... so my modification of stretching the spring so it would fit between the 2 "tails" of the cut down follower and putting in a short (about 2-2 1/2inch) spacer inside the front of the mag worked. :) .

I mean, it kinda worked with 9mm ammo without modification to the x25 magazine, but every now and then unpredictable it would jam as a round would be out of place, then you would have to clear the round. didn't have that kind of problem with this modification

now, that it works perfectly I will modify a few more of my x25 mags to 9mm, this time I am not going to cut the spring of any coils, I'm just going to just stretch it :)

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
If I decided to only cut my 9mm springs back 2-4 coils higher would I have an easier time loading the mags? And would it seriously detract from a round being fed? I can get about 15-16 rounds in but after that it’s difficult. From 19-25 I used a hard piece of rubber to get finished and it was still practically impossible. I can’t fathom how I’d get 35 in there! Thanks,
Richard

·
Silver Bullet member
48,792 Posts
If I have problems do you mind if I share this thread with him?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I put a 16 inch barrel on mine . Total cost $60.00 Is a rifle now! A fellow in Florida makes the barrels . 7 62X25 is what they were made to shoot .My Remington 1100 trigger group, Is the the way to go if you do your own build ! ( built in hammer !)

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
If I decided to only cut my 9mm springs back 2-4 coils higher would I have an easier time loading the mags? And would it seriously detract from a round being fed? I can get about 15-16 rounds in but after that it’s difficult. From 19-25 I used a hard piece of rubber to get finished and it was still practically impossible. I can’t fathom how I’d get 35 in there! Thanks,
Richard

I have my head scratching on that, I went and hand loaded the rounds in my mag, instead of using the loading tool, to see if i was getting the same amount of difficulty you are getting, and I'm not.

I don't know with absolutely certainty if cutting 2 - 4 coils would impeded the feeding of the rounds, my guess is it wouldn't, being you would still have plenty of spring tension to move the rounds up and it might making loading the rounds in the mag a bit easier

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I put a 16 inch barrel on mine . Total cost $60.00 Is a rifle now! A fellow in Florida makes the barrels . 7 62X25 is what they were made to shoot .My Remington 1100 trigger group, Is the the way to go if you do your own build ! ( built in hammer !)

good deal :thumbsup:, and yeah that is the original caliber...........but seeing surplus X25 is mighty pricy and commercial x25 is limited to only a few ammo manufacturers and they are priced above what the cheapest 9mm goes for, I can see why folks would opt for 9mm PPS43 rather then ones that are chambered for x25. now if we turn the clock back to 1998 or so when x25 was surplus was around 5 cents a round then it would stand to reason to make it that caliber

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reiver1- would the double spring or hockey puck mods you showed also be a improvement on a regular automatic rifle version?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I ended up just using the hockey puck cut out buffer....very resilient and combined with the the built up receiver ejector projection no more double feeds and positive ejection.
The thin buffer material used either the rubber or leather is pretty inefficient...

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I’m probably going to have to try this buffer and added spring out. I’ve only had this PPS in 9mm for 2 weeks and attempted to run 25 rnds for the first time last Friday and had several double feeds. I gave up on even trying the second magazine. Disappointed to say the least. I’ll say this, the rounds I put through were very accurate. I’ve since made some of your similar ‘adjustments’ to the top of the magazine as well as cutting 4 springs off and have dry cycled as many as 14 rnds without a hiccup. It certainly made loading the magazine easier. I’m headed to the range tomorrow in attempt to run 25 rnds through. If it works I’ll try 30. I’ll post how it goes.
Richard

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would have PM'd this but can't. reiver1- if you have the rest of the hockey puck would you be willing to cut and sell me another?

If one fired properly, would there be any other benefits to adding the hockey puck, if I already have a poly buffer in the factory location?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I would have PM'd this but can't. reiver1- if you have the rest of the hockey puck would you be willing to cut and sell me another?

If one fired properly, would there be any other benefits to adding the hockey puck, if I already have a poly buffer in the factory location?
If what you have is working then don't mess with it....I've gone thru all of these mods because my PPS 43 c was simply terrible out of the box and rather than return it took it on as a challenge. It would get of 1 - 2 rounds then jam...double feed and improper ejection. Terrible.
My mods were done to make it work and now it is....but I took the bolt apart one to many times and the damn firing pin broke (why? No idea) so am awaiting a replacement or I'll make one.

Sorry, don't have any spare hockey pucks....had one left over after ordering for my car....I use them on the hydraulic jack...great for that too.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I went back to the range today to put some rounds through to see if adjusting the magazine some helped. I spoke with the owner about what was going on and he took a look and said don't waste your ammo. He said the right side of the chamber is blocking the rounds and preventing them from going in. Basically they're not ramping properly. I've enclosed a picture of the chamber and you can see the shavings where this is getting caught after my attempting to dry cycle rounds a number of times. I sent the picture, called the retailer, and told them I wanted it exchanged. They'll look at it after receiving and give me their thoughts. I'm going to tell them if they can't run at least two full magazines through it they can keep it. I'm sure this will take at least 3 weeks, although I'm shipping it back TOMORROW. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Richard

PPS feed ramp.jpg

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Since I've modified my PPS 43 I can't ask for any return but I knew this from the first modification. The 7.62x25 round is a necked round and not straight like a 9mm. Therefore the bullet sits at a higher plane and feeds easily in the designed throat. The 9mm will tend to hit the lower end of the ramp that is not hit by the necked 7.62.
I took a Dremel tool to it and took the edge off..... this is not a part of the chamber so there is no issue...feeds perfectly now.
They did not do a complete conversion job, imo, when they went to the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Everything you've said makes perfect sense and your contributions on the PPS have been very helpful. I own several firearms in 7.62x25 so I am familiar with the differences your speaking about. Frankly if I had your tools I'd just fix this myself. I've only had this a month and fired it unsuccessfully on the first magazine. I hope Classic has another because I really like this little piece. They were quite responsive on my call so we'll see. I don't want a refund or 'store credit' for this. If they're out I may call Pioneer since I purchased a Lifetime warranty on this.
Richard

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I spoke with the owner about what was going on and he took a look and said don't waste your ammo. He said the right side of the chamber is blocking the rounds and preventing them from going in. Basically they're not ramping properly. I've enclosed a picture of the chamber and you can see the shavings where this is getting caught after my attempting to dry cycle rounds a number of times. I sent the picture, called the retailer, and told them I wanted it exchanged. They'll look at it after receiving and give me their thoughts. I'm going to tell them if they can't run at least two full magazines through it they can keep it. I'm sure this will take at least 3 weeks, although I'm shipping it back TOMORROW. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Richard

View attachment 3709333

my 9mm PPS chamber looks like yours, there is a chamfer around the entire inside of the barrel/chamber, and yet mine functions.........go figure :?.

now, on my x25 PPS, there is a chamfer only on the bottom half of the barrel/chamber.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts