Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my pioneer PPS 43 C (9mm) yesterday knowing they can be problematic...yes...she was.....double feeds/failure to eject/light strikes...all the bad juju you can imagine...would not run more than 2 rds before an issue.

The bad feeds were the curled lips of the 9mm modified magazine holding the round two low...too much resistance and on feed the bullet striking the lip before the ramp....just bend them out a bit. Then fed well.

I noticed this 'new' bolt to be much larger/longer than what I had seen and you can see the welds.... I know some were adding weight to make the short bolt cycle so maybe they have done the same with this extension.

Now she fed/ejected well but the bolt did not travel far enough rearward...too much bolt. So I conducted some surgery (knowing I was screwed if it didn't work) ... I cut one inch off the rear with a hacksaw, cleaned up the hammer channel (I suspected drag) and fired a few rounds....close but no cigar..cycling but not perfect....so I cut the dimples one at a time until she ran perfectly.....nice.
You can see the original bolt....and my cuts/dimples.... IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0146.JPG

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have 1 converted 9mm magazine and had 3 7.62x25 surplus mags...so decided to copy the 9mm and make them just right....I used an extruded plastic a bit less than 6 mm in thickness and a good match for the whatever in the sent to me mag in 9 mm. Cut to the proper length and width then heated with a heat gun to get the proper curve...you can barely see them on the mags but they do follow the curve.
Cut down the followers...welded the front guide in place and blued everthing...also cut the notch in the mags at the top left...
Before I epoxied the plastic in place I made sure the followers would drop easily bottom to top and back...they did. Not time effective but I enjoy this and the surplus mags are cheap in 7.62. IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0150.JPG

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glitch....the springs from the surplus 7.62 mags are too wide lengthwise (long width) and bind....so am getting springs from the spring store....that will make this a little less than break even basically with purchasing 9mm ready mades unless you have a bunch of surplus...or you just like tinkering like I do.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I have a PPS 43 C pistol from Poland that shoots very well. It came with four 35 round mags. The only mal functions I get with it is when using some old Russian or Chezc (sp) ammo with hard primers that I'm sure is corrosive. Maybe one round in 20 won't go BANG when the trigger is pulled. When using good commercial ammo everything works fine and the pistol is quite accurate. I do like the pistol. It would be nice if I could extend the stock but not to the tune of $200 for the paper and stamp.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long is the bolt....every model I've seen has a 7in stock sized bolt that's been converted...this one from Pioneer was, as shown, 9in in length.
It works perfectly now that I've modified it...very sweet. I like it....but before the mods it was a dog.
I think they reacted to everyone adding weight to the bolt (charging handle mostly) but they over did it....still....it gave me a lot to work with.
I have yet to test the accuracy but will do that shortly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used a Remington 1100 trigger group,custom 16" barrel,and my own bolt work . it worked great from the get go ! plus I can use my folding stock !

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I put a plastic spacer in my PPS43 drum feed tower for the 9mm round. I used a cutting board with a thickness of 8mm (5/16 in) so the rounds feeding up the feed tower don't go all cattywampus

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
how are loading the rounds in the mags? one at a time I presume :)

me, about 6 years ago I modified the base of a Swedish K loader to go over the mag, cut the front guard off, and use the 36 round ganged stripper clip to make loading quick and easy.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Man...that is sweet...I found the same set at RTG and just ordered it....thanks for the great tip.
you're welcome :). finding the clips would be more challenging, back when I bought mine from GUNPARTs.COM they had tons of them and where selling them in bulks of 5, a couple of other places had them, LIBERTY TREE

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am looking but presently no luck.....when I get my one clip maybe I can make a few by tack welding some singles together...we'll see.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
sounds like a plan :)

we live in a technology advance society, now I'm just "spit balling" here, but you could scan that clip then upload that into a 3-D metal printer you can makes dozens and dozens of them. it doesn't look like it's a complicated thing to scan and print, and there is no shortage of places that offer that service. depending on how much something like would be, that is another way to go. anyway just a thought :)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk035oE8WTQ3mp3htb_TWhrZ3NfVOHA:1593469884664&source=hp&ei=vGv6XriQJuXqtQaQpKPIBw&q=scan+and+3d+print+service&oq=scan+and+3-d+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgQIABANMgQIABANMgQIABANMgYIABANEB4yBggAEA0QHjIICAAQFhAKEB4yCAgAEA0QBRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjoECCMQJzoFCAAQkQI6BAgAEEM6BQgAELEDOgcIABCxAxBDOggIABCxAxCRAjoHCAAQFBCHAjoCCAA6BggAEBYQHlClHliuW2CjcGgAcAB4AIABjgSIAa0OkgEHNS43LjUtMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just thinking about the system and the one sided spring blow back and did this....after this little addition not a jam or misfire.....seemed to make sense. IMG_0151.JPG I just pulled a spring from my box 'on hand' and tried it out...works great so far....I plan on a few hundred rounds tomorrow so will report back.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This works well...shorter stroke and it assists in rebound/feeding....the 5/8 inch block is from a hockey puck...hard but absorbs....I was going to use prothane but this was sitting around.
If you look in the upper receiver you can see the spot weld I put center of mass on the factory rectangular punch....the punch/stamp is to keep the ejector from travelling to far from the bolt but is not exactly a tolerance fit so I welded a round blob there and honed it down with a Dremel until it almost touches the ejector....much better.
The lower receiver got a plastic piece I cut to fit to keep any cases from finding a home...the bolt you see is unscrewed until it almost touches the safety...keeps it tight and in place...with the lips on the lower receiver it would probably stay in place anyway.
Fun playing with this deal.... IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0174.JPG

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SFC...thanks for the tip..I modified one of them to fit my 9mm mags....works perfectly but I need more than the one multi stripper...any other sources? Can't seem to locate any and tried the links you provided...they are out. IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have no other idea where you can find those stripper clips. 6 or 7 years ago they were pretty easy to find, like i said LIBERTY TREE and GUNPARTS had them, but now? I haven't the slightest clue

i have a idea on how you might be able to fabricate them.......... I found that 9mm will slide on a 5.56 stripper clip, so I was thinking.............if you cut down the stripper clip to hold 6 rounds of 9mm, flatten out the clips, they all have a very slight curve to them, then bundled them real tight together 6 across by make a simple wood jig, then epoxy them together on the sides and back of the clips in the wood jig to hold them steady till the epoxy hardens and cures, that might work................at least in theory.

I took 6 stripper clips, flatten them out then placed them side by side, and it lines up to where the channels are on the Swedish clips and is the same width as the Swedish clip.

for $hits and giggles let me make one to see if it's feasible. I need more clips anyway :), I have like a 1/2 ton of 5.56 stripper clips, metaphorical speaking :). I'll come back in a couple three days on this tread and tell you how it went :).

I need another project to do anyway, :) since I can't go nowhere because everything is shut down, just got done making a box to hold my M1919 linker :)
oh, and BTW, I like how you used rubber to modify the base of the speed loader, good job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...a small spot weld above and below....
ideally that is the way to go. but I don't have a welder or even know how to weld, or know anyone that does welding. I did at one time, but he passed away. so my friend in this project will be good ol' J-B WELD :laugh: and strips of sheet metal to 'ganged" them together.

say what you may about it, but it's good for some applications. that is how I mated top part of a TAPCO GOLANI mag to the bottom half of a AR15 feed tower so I could use a BETA drum on my SAR3 and SLR 106UR and it is still rock solid after 6+ years of use. :)

here is the picture of the drum I made for the PPS43, this is the 7.62 one

1 - 20 of 99 Posts