Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day Aussies training ,how to leap over barbed wire, wearing no shirts to go over the top would give you the incentive to clear that obstacle.The second poster is a Kiwi one.
coop

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's the spirit!

Those blokes who dive on the wire to flatten it. I always wondered how they got themselves untangled. Did they carry snips or did they wait a while?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I recall from somewhere that the last man over the wire gets the wire man by the ankle and lifts him off, rolling him over his helmet and off the wire. Concertina is one of those things that isn't any worse to jump into than to try to tiptoe thru.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Jumping over is the easy part. Its where you land next that can get you into the soup. Here is a painting by Terence Cuneo of the 1/6th Gurkha Rifles, storming the crest of the Sari Bair - the highest point of the Gallipoli Peninsula on 9th August 1915. The Gurkhas took the trenches, but were shaken off by "friendly fire".

·
Registered
604 Posts
And sometimes, when you are on the defensive in the Himalayan ranges, there just cant be enough barbed wire to stop the Chinese hordes. Then its just the smelly and the good ol Bren, and you fire away in the hope that someday someone will finally hear of what happened during that fateful afternoon in 1962. Sorta like the Indian version of From Here To Eternity:)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Jumping over is the easy part. Its where you land next that can get you into the soup. Here is a painting by Terence Cuneo of the 1/6th Gurkha Rifles, storming the crest of the Sari Bair - the highest point of the Gallipoli Peninsula on 9th August 1915. The Gurkhas took the trenches, but were shaken off by "friendly fire".
AND if memory serves me correctly, the Kiwi's suffered the same fate under similar circumstances on the same objective:mad:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great photos guys, thanks.

Where in the world did you find those barb wire cutting attachments? I would love to add one of those to my collection...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recall from somewhere that the last man over the wire gets the wire man by the ankle and lifts him off, rolling him over his helmet and off the wire. QUOTE]

You are correct sir, we were trained to dive on to the wire then every other man either jumps through or steps on you if there is not enough clearance.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
I was expecting a JollyGreenSlug video!

I'm sad now. :(
That would be a good idea for a video.

JollyGreenSlug- lets see a video demonstration of clearing barbed wire with an Enfield. :D

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
One trick the AEF used in WW1 was to throw chicken wire over enemy barbed wire. The troops could climb over it without getting entangled in the wire underneath.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.