Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a pre-war FN high power board style stick to my collection. Any tips or guidance to weed out the fakes from the originals? I've seen two prominent styles, model with holster riveted to stick and the model where stick fits in leather holster. Any help is appreciated. Want to have an original stock to match my prewar high power.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Off the top of my head I believe the wooden stock that the pistol fit inside was not used by the Belgian army, only the board holster type is correct. Check FN Browning Pistols by Vanderlinden for descriptive information, I have looked for a shoulder stock also and a post war just sold for $1300 on GB !

Attachments

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
19,102 Posts
Yes, the stock which the pistol fits inside is for the Canadian or Chinese Inglis Hi-Power. The Belgians used the flat wood stock with riveted leather holster. Early production will have a post closure stud for the holster, and later will have the loop and strap style closure.

There are post war stocks made by a company called Odin International in the 1980s, which used surplus FN milled steel attachment hardware and Belgian leather holsters. There was enough surplus to assemble about 1,000 units. These have been accepted by the BATF to attach to any Pre-War High Power only. The wood is a light colored Italian Birch (if I recall correctly).

The cheap Chinese copy of the flat stock will not have a holster, and the attachment hardware is cast.

The only differences between the 1930s and 1980s stocks are the types of wood and a rounded contour cut on the step near the forward holster rivet (early Belgian) vs a straight cut at the step (late, Odin). Holster closure can be brass or nickle on the early, and only nickle on the late.

Oh, and the price. Original is $2,000-plus. Late is generally under $1,000

I don't have an original, but here is the Odin with original hardware and after-market wood (straight step near forward holster rivet). Note the milled attachment hardware has the boxed letter inspection marks on the milled attachment hardware. And the BATF letter which clears the Odin stock for use with Pre-War High Powers only.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't play a lawyer on television nor did I stay in a Holiday Express last night BUT I do not think the letter shown exempts the Odin International stocks. The letter states "accompanied by original Belgian manufactured board type detachable shoulder stocks". The key words are "original Belgian manufactured". Although parts of the Odin stock are of "Belgian manufacture", I don't think BATFE considers the enter stock as "original Belgian manufactured". Also ATF Publication 5300.11, Firearms Curios or Relics List, Section III states "accompanied by original detachable wooden flat board stocks.". Again, is the Odin International stock "original"?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Pre war Belgian is board type with a riveted holster. Here is mine which was used by the Finns, the belt loop is an add on. Be prepared to pay....mine was more expensive than the pistol.

The later production (1970's) have different style and quantity of rivets. You can see 4 rivets on the holster flap closure on mine whereas the later ones have 2 (IIRC)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm erring on the side of caution and want a true pre-war model that way I won't have any issues with BATFE. Too many letters going back and forth the only thing consistent is that the original pre-war stock is acceptable. I've seen a few board style stock that come with a leather holster that the stock and high power pistol both fit into and a few with the holster riveted to stock, I've been told both variations are original Belgium. I just don't know enough to identify them as good fakes or original. I'm Waiting on a copy of Vanderlinden's book and hopefully can compare and find an original.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't be afraid to email Anthony Vanderlinden as well. He was very helpful validating the stock I pictured above prior to purchase.

·
19,102 Posts

·
19,102 Posts
Oh, and when you are ready to sell that [SA] pistol, 81turbota, you know where there is a buyer! I already have the stock, so you can keep yours for your next one.

;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I highly recommend A.Vanderlinden's book 'FN Browning Pistols'. The second edition is a worthy resource and, as its in print, a bargain at $60 or less.

To help you get by until you buy a copy, here are some pertinent pages:

Prewar HP Stock Info
https://imgur.com/a/AVe4vu3

As others have said, they are rare, expensive and faked. Study the known proper examples and compare the rivet holes, inspection stamp and curve profile of the recess/lug. Post pics before you buy!

Not the best pics, but here is my prewar Belgian military example with correct flatboard stock. Not cheap! Finding a correct pouch is difficult too...

Pre-War FN Hi Power
https://imgur.com/a/tdj2j

***Looking for leather stock/pistol holster and dual mag pouch. Please PM me if you have one or any leads :)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,327 Posts
Then there is this holster/stock and Hi Power.

·
Registered
115 Posts
excellent info on this thread, thanks

I have a 20xxx prewar I will be needing a stock for, a tough hunt but I'm up for it.

Are the Odin ones marked or is the step cut the only tell tale sign?

thanks

·
66,327 Posts
Also, the rivets holding the holster are different.

·
66,327 Posts
Here is a pre war holster/stock

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Pretty close.........

Attachments

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I have been looking for a Belgian stock or reproduction of same as my recent inquiry with ATF resulted in information that a repro stock matching the description of an original can be used on pistols made pre war and in a specified serial range. So far the stock has eluded me, I will not pay $1300 for a repro.

Attachments

·
66,327 Posts
I have been looking for a Belgian stock or reproduction of same as my recent inquiry with ATF resulted in information that a repro stock matching the description of an original can be used on pistols made pre war and in a specified serial range. So far the stock has eluded me, I will not pay $1300 for a repro.
Nice Hi Power.
I have some pre war stocks (one is SA marked), some early FN post war ones and some Odin ones. All allowed to be used with pre-war Hi Powers inder serial number 47,000. I will sell you an Odin one for $1,299.

All joking aside, you would find that using a FN type stock will cut into your shoulder more than a Inglis stock. So if you were to plan to use one on any type of regular basis, it would be more comfortable using the Inglis stock. Plus a lot cheaper. Even the Inglis Hi Power is cheaper.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
If Odins are running in the $1100-1200 range, what does an original Belgian pre-war army issue board stock and holster set go for these days, the one I posted above?

Here is my Odin:

GP.35 odin stock (1).jpg GP.35 odin stock (6).jpg GP.35 odin stock (2).jpg GP.35 odin stock (3).jpg GP.35 odin stock (4).jpg GP.35 odin stock (5).jpg

·
66,327 Posts
Yes, the stock which the pistol fits inside is for the Canadian or Chinese Inglis Hi-Power. The Belgians used the flat wood stock with riveted leather holster. Early production will have a post closure stud for the holster, and later will have the loop and strap style closure.

There are post war stocks made by a company called Odin International in the 1980s, which used surplus FN milled steel attachment hardware and Belgian leather holsters. There was enough surplus to assemble about 1,000 units. These have been accepted by the BATF to attach to any Pre-War High Power only. The wood is a light colored Italian Birch (if I recall correctly).

The cheap Chinese copy of the flat stock will not have a holster, and the attachment hardware is cast.

The only differences between the 1930s and 1980s stocks are the types of wood and a rounded contour cut on the step near the forward holster rivet (early Belgian) vs a straight cut at the step (late, Odin). Holster closure can be brass or nickle on the early, and only nickle on the late.

Oh, and the price. Original is $2,000-plus. Late is generally under $1,000
The "original" is the one with the post closure stud for the holster.
I will buy that one for $2,000 & will have a bargain. You have no idea how rare those are.

I have one that I acquired many years ago along with an Oval Port Hi Power - serial no. 2.

DSC03965.JPG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts