Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some sanitized 5.45 mags today & they were painted black by the Bulgarians. They were either lightly colored Plum Soviet mags or firebrick Bulgarian mags. Followers & floorplates are Plum so I hope they are Russian/Soviet. What have your sanitized mags turned out to be?

What can I use to strip the paint without melting them? Used some auto stripper on a HK91 stock before & was wiping the plastic off along with the paint.

Thanks alot, Norinco

·
Registered
758 Posts
How tuff exactly is the black paint used on these "sanitized" boxes? I have exactly one to my name and it has been to the range precisely one time so I just dunno.

If it holds up to routine field use then why - exactly - would one feel the urge to strip said paint off? Once the manufacturer's cartouche is ground it can't be re-etched hence it is what it is, a "sanitized" Russian box magazine. Isn't the material where the cartouche used to be adversely affected by the process? That's what some of the comrades report.

However it would make perfect sense to do so provided you have slapped a set of plum-coloured synthetic furniture onto your axe; yeah, I can see that. If, however, you go - or stay - black, why not retain the black paint provided it hangs in here and doesn't peel or flake?

Just asking.

Best regards from Seattle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Bulgarian paint sucks, it was scratched pretty bad on the ones I picked up. Plus the matte Plum looks so nice it was a shame to keep it hidden. The mag was nearly new except for the grind marks but they were as small as necessary & pretty cleanly executed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMO, nice plum mags improve any AK, no matter its' furniture color. And it's just a shame to obscure the EG bakelite with black paint...they gotta be free to show what they really are...down with the spray paint "sanitizing", let the mags proudly declare their origins by showing their true colors. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
sorry to bring back a dead thread, just wanted to say that I used goof off today one the one and only sanatized black painted mag I had and it worked without a problem. Just let the mag body soak in a bucket and the paint will separate from the magazine. Mine ended up being a plum color, good matchup to the rest of the plum stockset.

Stinkyrat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.