Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
One major reason I NEVER ship firearms by UPS. I've had more than one box come in damaged, but, I've been lucky in that the guns were packed well and survived. Just goes to show that a "hard" case isn't safe.
USPS Priority Mail. Never a problem in 15 years!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already filed a claim and used NUMRICH's price on a original stock as a reference. They got before and after pictures and a copy of the webpage from NUMRICH.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
USPS or UPS? finloq said USPS which would square with my experience. I stopped using USPS Parcel Post years ago because they lost/busted a bunch of stuff.
A lot of you guys recommended priority mail so I decided to try them again. Sure enough, first thing I mailed Priority, a gunstock, came through broken. And because it was a cheap stock I didn't bother with the fairly expensive insurance, included in UPS and Fedex.
USPS - NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
good luck on gettting the postal service to pay for repairs...i can already tell you what the answer is...
even though im sure it was transfered legal, ect.
heres what that letter will say...
item was shipped in violation of the law, and not sent legally...so post office isnt repsonsible...
a couple years ago, i had a 1903A3 that i sold on GB to another FFL in TX...went from and to an FFL for transfer..
the stock was broken it 2, i sent him a replacement stock, he was happy, and then with pictures, ducuments with copies of FFLs, ect that was the responce., i got...so ,,i had my lawer send a letter basicly stating they were accusing my of a felony....and thati wanted 100.00 for the stock replacement, and now, 150.00 for legal fees,,, that was 2 years ago, no money, no responce.... waste of time.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,439 Posts
good luck on gettting the postal service to pay for repairs...i can already tell you what the answer is...
even though im sure it was transfered legal, ect.
heres what that letter will say...
item was shipped in violation of the law, and not sent legally...so post office isnt repsonsible...
a couple years ago, i had a 1903A3 that i sold on GB to another FFL in TX...went from and to an FFL for transfer..
the stock was broken it 2, i sent him a replacement stock, he was happy, and then with pictures, ducuments with copies of FFLs, ect that was the responce., i got...so ,,i had my lawer send a letter basicly stating they were accusing my of a felony....and thati wanted 100.00 for the stock replacement, and now, 150.00 for legal fees,,, that was 2 years ago, no money, no responce.... waste of time.
Too late now, statute of limitations will have run, but shou;ld have fiiled suit. USPS isn't cvered by sovereign immunity and they not only failed to live up to obligation under the insurance contract, they libeled you. Damages are presumed for per se libel, which they committed.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
USPS or UPS? finloq said USPS which would square with my experience. I stopped using USPS Parcel Post years ago because they lost/busted a bunch of stuff.
A lot of you guys recommended priority mail so I decided to try them again. Sure enough, first thing I mailed Priority, a gunstock, came through broken. And because it was a cheap stock I didn't bother with the fairly expensive insurance, included in UPS and Fedex.
USPS - NEVER AGAIN!
That's funny as I've had damaged stuff from UPS and none from USPS. Actually, after 10+ years of buying and selling on GB and ebay I've never had an item damaged by USPS. Only from UPS.
Maybe I've been lucky?!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Both shippers have guys sorting packages as fast as they can,which means items get thrown in to bins 10 feet away.If you use USPS spend the extra money for registered.Besides being insured it moves out side the parcel stream.Each piece is signed for every time its given to a different employee,and most post offices only get a few,2-10 a day so there are handled by a registery clerk NOT a sorter.If your going to use regular priority then, put 6 inches of crushed paper at each end of the box,and double box it.Yea a lot of work,but fewer sad stories.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
you know until Dec of 2011, i had the best service from the usps..i ship large packages 3 times a week, and the rifle stock was the first claim i had with them.
well, now,,iv had slow service, lost packages, damaged goods...you name it...hate to say it...i wont use USPS for any shipping to CA. 3 times in a row, they took more then 10 days to deliver small boxes even though i only ship priority mail with insurance and comformation..
so somethings a foot at the postoffice./

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
you know until Dec of 2011, i had the best service from the usps..i ship large packages 3 times a week, and the rifle stock was the first claim i had with them.
well, now,,iv had slow service, lost packages, damaged goods...you name it...hate to say it...i wont use USPS for any shipping to CA. 3 times in a row, they took more then 10 days to deliver small boxes even though i only ship priority mail with insurance and comformation..
so somethings a foot at the postoffice./
Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing. My very small town PO is turning over people (regulars) lately. Too many new faces, too fast. No one knows my name anymore. WTF.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Dont mean to hijack this thread,but the post office as you know it is shrinking,and or, getting ready to just die.I"ve worked for them 20 plus years,and service gets worst by the day.We had 14 clerks the day I got hired.This week we got by with 4.Everythings done half way,or the quickest way with out regard to service level.They are going to close 260 sectional centers this spring.Your mail may be sorted 3 states away,and trucked to your local office arriving several days late.Here in Kalifornia people shrugg,and tell me they use the internet,but once its gone they will whine,how and I going to get this birthday card to my grand kid?Hope you can find a model 28 butt plate.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You may simply work wood glue deep in to the crack,and clamp it.I was given a very beat 1881 Marlin with a crescent butt that someone slamed on the ground.It had a 5 inch split.I drilled a very small hole through the two parts,and then counter sank the top of the hole.I filled the crack with glue,and then ran a long,small.dia wood screw in to pull the two parts tight.The screw head was in the counter sink which I filled with a small round piece of wood with the gain running the same as the stock.After sanding lightly I ended up with a very small round line where the plug was.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i repair worse cracks then that,,,the only way to fix it right, break the loose piece off, then glue it back with accra glass, it will never crack or break in the same area, you will have to refinish the stock to do it right.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
If the glue line runs along any significant stress area it'll need pinning, but I don't think yours does. That sort of crushing damage makes it certain there's fibers inside the crack that'll make a messy glue line of any attempt to clamp or screw it together, so Chuck is right. Open it up enough to clean it or crack all the way, then glue together with an epoxy (Or Acraglass, but I've found Epoxy stronger), clamp or use rubber strips to hold it tight, and when its set, but not fully hardened, scrape off the excess glue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.