Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Read Only
4,633 Posts
"SCOUT MOUNTS

Oh! These horrendous things are all over the place!
We already discussed matching the magnification of the scope to your purpose.
So… you want to put a 2x or 4x optic on that does nothing to enhance your vision over iron sights?
We discussed a solid and secure mounting system.
So… you want to attach this thing with a single pin holding it on the rear sight base so it can flop around?
Well… it may look cool to dress up and SKS or something …
The rifle came with perfectly good, calibrated, and secure iron sights so what good reason do you have to replace them with something that does nothing to enhance your vision, rattles around, and won’t hold zero?"

For a lot of this, I agree. That said, I make my own Scout mounts for the arms I build, and they are held in place the same way the Germans mounted their scope bases; soft solder and a close fit to the barrel. My sights don't flop about like a landed fish atop the barrel. The gun with a Scout optic of correct build (and Leupold is the only one that I know of that is making a good conventional Scout scope since Burris quit the game) is very fast to use in the field, and the Military has seen fit to adopt the technique in wholesale lots with its Picatinny rail optics used in the Sandbox.

My major reason for using a Scout scope and mount is to preserve my ability to load with a stripper clip. To me, the rifle is a using implement, not a collector's item or a work of art. I have even been known to use the (Gasp! Gag!) light dot sights. Trijicon and Aimpoint make some first class optics, and the little Optima sight has been of service in times past, and can be fitted to the original sight slide to allow use of the existing elevation works....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.