Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a proble, i ordered a scout mount for my k98
and it is of a diffrent shape..
if i fit one side,the other side wont and vice versa.
the most important is the screw attachment,and it is at an angle and it wont screw in...

anyone have any ideas how to make it ,,stick´´ to my gun

pics here too..with illustrations..

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,495 Posts
I'd either fit it at the front and then drill out (or ream) the rear hole oversize, fill it with a piece of steel (or for that matter - brass) stock and then drill for the rear pin. Or fit it at the back, built up the front with weldment and file or mill to fit.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
I would recommend sending it back...for a number of reasons, not the least being that it doesn't fit. These so called "Scout Mounts" are notoriously weak and any scope used with them will almost never hold zero - ESPECIALLY with a hard recoiling rifle like a 8mm. Secondly, if the fit from the manufacturer is that bad, the problem will only be compounded. Don't waste anymore time, energy, or money on that thing. Ship back fro a complete refund, INCLUDING your shipping charges!

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think that i want to go trough the hassle of sending it back.I live too far away.. and i ordered it from US.

im coing to try something to make it fit and stick,but it will take some time,i asked a friend,he said that to fill the current screw hole with steel bolt,drill a new hole and attach it.The horizontal attachment wont be much problem
also found something called chemical metal..
but im not too found of glue-like material holding tougheter a pice that wold have to take such beating and recoil....

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with CCSA; send it back. You get what you pay for. In some cases, it's better to pay extra for better product. Better yet, if you don't have the skills and machine tools, take it to a gunsmith and have it done professionally. I think you will be pleased in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sending pics and getting another is a nice thought,but im not sure it´s the manufacturer as whole to blame..
i ordered the thing,without really knowing the type..I mean maybe it is for a other type of k98. Or were the parts identical on all the diffrent factorys on diffrent countrys..

i see people dont pretty much like the scout mount..
what would you suggsest as an alternative?

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
I would recommend sending it back...for a number of reasons, not the least being that it doesn't fit. These so called "Scout Mounts" are notoriously weak and any scope used with them will almost never hold zero - ESPECIALLY with a hard recoiling rifle like a 8mm. Secondly, if the fit from the manufacturer is that bad, the problem will only be compounded. Don't waste anymore time, energy, or money on that thing. Ship back fro a complete refund, INCLUDING your shipping charges!

Just my 0.02
You must not have heard of or seen the S+K brand of "scout mount's".
They fit like a glove and hold zero, period.
You can get them with S+K single post turret mount rings or set up to accept weaver rings.
I prefer the S+K rings because they self align to the scope body.
PM me if you want to know where to buy them..

·
Gold Bullet member
749 Posts
There is nothing wrong with scout mounts as long as you can mount them so they stay in place. K98 mounts are one of the easier ones to do this. Remember, you will need a long eye relief scope and those tend to cost a bit. My experience with scout mounts has been rather positive. The parallax effect does not affect these scopes as much as the regular ones. Target acquisition is faster as well. On the down side, it makes an old rifle look funky , but if this is not a problem for you, than so be it.
As far as the link above, this may all be true, but this is one man's opinion. Cheap scopes can work well, but they will likely brake sooner than a good ones. My Enfield managed to destroy 2 cheapo's and a Bushnell . Would I put a $500 scope on a $100 plinking rifle ? no I wouldn't . I buy a new $20 scope every year and have fun sighting it etc.
As far as your mount, I like the ides of filling the hole and drilling a new one.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
The LER scope pictured above is an N/C Star 2-7X32 which cost $80.
Lifetime warranty and known to be durable.

·
Read Only
4,633 Posts
"SCOUT MOUNTS

Oh! These horrendous things are all over the place!
We already discussed matching the magnification of the scope to your purpose.
So… you want to put a 2x or 4x optic on that does nothing to enhance your vision over iron sights?
We discussed a solid and secure mounting system.
So… you want to attach this thing with a single pin holding it on the rear sight base so it can flop around?
Well… it may look cool to dress up and SKS or something …
The rifle came with perfectly good, calibrated, and secure iron sights so what good reason do you have to replace them with something that does nothing to enhance your vision, rattles around, and won’t hold zero?"

For a lot of this, I agree. That said, I make my own Scout mounts for the arms I build, and they are held in place the same way the Germans mounted their scope bases; soft solder and a close fit to the barrel. My sights don't flop about like a landed fish atop the barrel. The gun with a Scout optic of correct build (and Leupold is the only one that I know of that is making a good conventional Scout scope since Burris quit the game) is very fast to use in the field, and the Military has seen fit to adopt the technique in wholesale lots with its Picatinny rail optics used in the Sandbox.

My major reason for using a Scout scope and mount is to preserve my ability to load with a stripper clip. To me, the rifle is a using implement, not a collector's item or a work of art. I have even been known to use the (Gasp! Gag!) light dot sights. Trijicon and Aimpoint make some first class optics, and the little Optima sight has been of service in times past, and can be fitted to the original sight slide to allow use of the existing elevation works....

·
Registered
145 Posts
For a lot of this, I agree. That said, I make my own Scout mounts for the arms I build, and they are held in place the same way the Germans mounted their scope bases; soft solder and a close fit to the barrel. My sights don't flop about like a landed fish atop the barrel. The gun with a Scout optic of correct build (and Leupold is the only one that I know of that is making a good conventional Scout scope since Burris quit the game) is very fast to use in the field, and the Military has seen fit to adopt the technique in wholesale lots with its Picatinny rail optics used in the Sandbox.

My major reason for using a Scout scope and mount is to preserve my ability to load with a stripper clip. To me, the rifle is a using implement, not a collector's item or a work of art. I have even been known to use the (Gasp! Gag!) light dot sights. Trijicon and Aimpoint make some first class optics, and the little Optima sight has been of service in times past, and can be fitted to the original sight slide to allow use of the existing elevation works....
I like the Leupold IER very much. I've also used the T/C rail mount scopes and bases with success. I have one with the lighted reticle that the kids think is "cool". I don't care for it, messes up my "night eyes" but I guess their eyes focus quicker with 30 or 40 years less use on them. I don't use scout mounts on unaltered rifles, and don't use the rear sight bases either. Neither are scout setups done as a quick expedient - I'm perfectly capable of a quality full blown bubba. Scout setups have a definite purpose and nothing else does it better. I've found that bases for the T/C Contender work well and I've never had any problems with loose mounts, shift in POI, etc. I generally use Black Max as well as the 4 6X48 screws to attach the base, though I doubt the adhesive is needed. IMO, a scout setup takes a little getting used to but a good one is a joy to use. For me, it's as fast as a reciever sight with a huge advantage in low light and for small targets. A front sight large enough for me to see well in low light is a bit big for small targets. I use my rifles for plinking, small game and pests with mild cast loads alot more than with full power loads. The ability to hold on a rabbits head or soda can at 40 or 50yds is important to me and optics give me that ability. Add the abilty to load from stripper clips, a tough set of irons as backup and the carry traits of a Win 94 make a good scout setup is hard to beat for it's purpose. BTW, I have a friends' B-Square M98 scout base FS on the Trader if anyone needs one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.