Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to Fight a Dog (and win)http://weaponsman.com/?p=13944

* Some points for consideration, especially if you are mobile in strange territory in SHTF.
You WILL encounter DOGs, of various breeds, sizes, temperaments.

In 25 yrs LEO, I had more than one occasion to unexpectedly encounter Fido when least expected. Never got bit. Never got attacked. Never even felt threatened.
Perhaps that came from being a life long dog owner. I've always been able to interact with dogs that made other people pee their pants.

DOG can smell fear ...
Your natural fight or flight response releases copious quantities of pheromones and adrenalin. DOG's nose is sensitive enough to pick that up. If they smell your fear, they own you.
Ever notice how a dog reacts to people obviously afraid of them? You can see a more dominant personality emerge as soon as they pick up the scent.

Is DOG protective of territory?
Some/most naturally defend their turf. You are a stranger entering their territory. Expect a challenge. If the owner is present, they may wait for a cue whether to let you in or drive you off. Wait for the owner to give them direction.
Get surprised and find yourself inside DOG's territory and he knows he has you cornered. Owner not around. Freeze and advance no further! Don't panic or run triggering a prey response and the natural desire to chase. Maintain eye contact and in a stern loud voice command SIT, DOWN! You may be surprised to find a dog conditioned and obedient to commands may respond. If that halts them in their tracks, COME! and extend the back of your hand for a sniff. He may then come and check you out and let you be friends.

Is DOG protective of owner?
Man's best friend quite naturally assumes the role of protector for his beloved owner. One of the first clues is if DOG immediately places himself between you and the owner. He's saying he is ready to protect and defend. Make no move to approach the owner, argue, loud voice. Reaching out for a handshake may get you latched on to. Wait for the owner to take control and command of DOG and assure him that the stranger can approach.

I have a 100lb Rotty. He don't bark. He don't growl. He just loves people and adores kids. he has never demonstrated the least little aggressiveness and the only thing he guards is the fridge! Despite his friendly desire to meet and greet everyone, he will position himself between me and a stranger. His attention and expression hints that if you raise a hand towards me, you might lose it! However, once I tell him to say hello, he will lick you to death!

I've made friends with junkyard mongrels, trained K-9s, protective and defensive dogs and some who were just plain mean spirited. It's all in knowing how to read them and react appropriately. They are a lot smarter than you think or give them credit for. If DOG just don't like or takes strong exception to a stranger ... pay attention because he's probably right! Dog may be a better judge of character than you!

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
If you ever are attacked by a large dog, try to shove your hand as far down the dog's throat as possible - fingers first. The dog will not be able to bite due to the size and position of your hand - and if deep enough and long enough it may block the dog's airway and suffocate it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
By the age of 25, I had fought and killed about six dogs. I lived in a neighborhood where feral dogs ran wild, and had even attacked some kids. I was always able to wrap my jacket around my arm, and while doggie chewed on my arm, I stuck a knife under its ribs. I broke a blade in the spine of a St Bernard that didn't get to my flesh, but did manage to bruise the heck out of my arm.

By the time I was 30, I had learned all the mistakes I had made in those conflicts. By that time, I had a dog of my own, and I learned its behavior. Fear and aggression are two things dogs pick up on, quick. Like db said, your phermones kick in and telegraph to the dog your feelings. If a dog senses your calm, he will be calm. By the time my pack of six wolves were adults, I never had a problem introducing them to people. I also never had a problem with dogs as I now understood them. Never run, never fear, don't be prey.

I now live in the wilds of the Ozarks of Arkansas and Missouri. Wild dogs aplenty. I have run into some. Though I go well heeled, I have never had to even think about touching my gun. If a dog comes a running, I just give it a sideways glance and stand my ground. If I absolutely have to, I stomp a foot and bark out a short, loud NO! and they start losing interest.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
This is all well and good as these things go.. but dogs are pack animals, And the pack acts differently than the single dog. My pack works a problem much differently than a single dog does.

A recent example was a stranger selling something, roof repairs came to the door.. Immediately my two largest accompanied my spouse to the door .. flanking her and being good.. when the door cracked they advanced to a side by side posture .. the guy started his speel and spouse said not interested and the guy tried to block the closing of the storm door to get in a couple extra words I assume.. that is when the 100 pound Pit Bull behind him decided to growl.... The two dogs with my spouse thought the salesman's reaction was the funniest thing they ever saw. So did we. Dogs use small unit tactics.. they will get behind you and time and coordinate attacks, watch your six. You get tunnel vision confronting the dog in front of you and you are going to get bit in the butt.
Well not necessarily the butt, that stereotypical pants legs grip small dogs often use .. when used in anger, is an attempt at the Achilles Tendon or leg calf to lame you. As in, as the big bad wolf said, the better to eat you.

If you have to go defensive a little fire is a good thing, or pepper spray.., I have ultra sonics, which work at a safe distance.. it is a little larger than a pistol , but lighter to carry, too big to conceal, but not illegal to open carry and doesn't look like a weapon, more like some kind of electrical test gear or monitoring device, sort of a small short straight barreled megaphone about 3" in diameter... and can be adjusted to be above the range of human hearing so it doesn't alert humans in the area and dogs whimper and run, not bark, when hit with it.. actually better above human hearing for dogs, mine on full power can do actual damage and inflict real pain, to the ears and hearing, sort of like "set to stun". about 120db. About like shooting full bore without hearing protection.. except shooting is brief bursts .. this is continuous as long as I hold the trigger down. I can set it to rapidly pulse sound as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,178 Posts
If you pack attacked, change to offensive from defense by surprising, attacking the boss dog throat....eyes if he has you in jaws eyes quick deep before the others grip.....if he backs down runs or stops your alpha material

He can't bark bit or think with brushed busted larynx....or eye out of service!

Got this German Shepard ....with steel toes ...quick to the point...the others left and looked from a distance....

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
Quick punch to the dogs rib cage right behind the foreleg works very well.

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
when walking in the woods, with ut a firearm i carry my walking stick. its 4'1/2 long tapers from 2" down to 1" the handle is drilled with a pound or 2 of lead poured into it.
it is like a baseball bat. you can poke a dog with one end..or you can kill it with a left field swing

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
My wife and I both ride bicycles in San Antonio. "Spay" and "neuter" are foreign concepts. Everyone has dogs. In our neighborhood, young people sure like pit bulls and so on. The park near our home is a popular with folks abandoning dogs. We have packs of 'em.

Every now and then, I have gotten off my bicycle, and dogs mellow out. Sometimes I "bark" back, and the dogs back down. This very evening, my wife was set upon by a whole pack. She hosed the "alpha" with good ol' fashioned pepper spray. I often carry a revolver while cycling, but thus far I've never had to pull the trigger on Fido.

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
when i was a kid..3 dogs confronted me while i was on my 10 speed bike...i got off the bike
and as one of the dogs got close...i threw the bike on him....fight was over

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good post indeed! My DDR Shepherds are trained in German, but they read mannerism first. They have held many delivery truck drivers in their trucks waiting for us to come and take packages.

Just to give you an idea, my dogs attack fireworks because their threatening explosions, but that's not enough to detour them. They also hate the weedeater as it thrashes about and they will creep around my back on it attacking it as I have it fully throttled, not caring if if hits them bloodying their mouths. It gets annoying even though I know their intentions are to neutralize the threat. They're great with my kids and obey them to the fullest.

The oldest male is a champion. This is Tinka my pup, Schutzhund on!

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
beautiful shepherd..

a friend in houston had a shepherd trained..cost him 5k
the dog was trained to restrain not bite till he came home and releases
the back story..he has a yard, kids come in and out playing
so he had the dog trained,,if a burgler comes into the yard and looks around..no harm no foul
the minute he grabs something, the dog will grab his hand and hold it..if he struggles, the grip gets tighter
he will hold till released...this way, children are safe and property is protected
5 THOUSAND BUCKS.....

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DOG and kids ...
Be most particularly aware around children of all ages. Many people get their first DOG at some point in the life of their children ... every boy needs a puppy!
DOG is raised with and grows up with a sibling. The family attachment is extremely strong. A female will nurture and protect an infant as if it were here own.
DOG can become aggressive ... even towards the parent and owner or people it knows well ... if it does not like any action towards baby. Mother-in-law almost learned the hard way not to touch grand daughter without permission from DOG!
Had a friend with three boys and a Rotty. That dog shepherded, herded, protected, and even disciplined those kids well into their teenage years before it died from old age.

While DOG may not be aggressive or show any hostility in the presence of the owner, it is totally unpredictable when protecting the kids and may misjudge any move near them as a threat and react accordingly. Be acutely aware of any DOG in the presence of children and assume it is most likely to protect and defend to the last breath!

Know your breeds!
Some are more openly aggressive. Some are the strong silent type. Some are all bark and no bite.
Although it's hard to judge the mixed mongrel, I never worry much about the big breeds. They are big and bad and powerful and they know it! They usually reserve any action until they need it and have no fear. They may silently study you and position themselves without a hint that they will do something.
The little "yippers" are the ones prone to act like a school of piranhas and gang up to make a sneak attack on your ankles or make a leap off the owners lap to take a chunk out of your face.

Pit bulls have a bad reputation! Especially in drug infested low income areas where they may have been used as guard dogs for the "stash" or trained to fight.
They have been raised to be openly aggressive. To the contrary, they can be sweet and loving dogs that may eagerly respond to any kindness and soft gentle words. They often desperately want some affection ... from anyone.
For years, I knew an older lady who lived alone in a bad neighborhood. She had a fence all the way around the property. She also had two of the biggest, baddest, meanest pit bulls that would carry on barking and attacking the fence if anyone came within five feet of it! Everyone in the neighborhood was scared to death of them. They did their intended job and she never had any problems with the "locals".
One day, I had to go to her house when she called for a medical emergency. I knew she had the dogs. I looked and didn't see them in the yard. I was up to the front steps when they suddenly appeared behind me and it was a long haul back to the gate. I stood my ground, talked to them sweetly, and they eventually calmed down and decided to make friends. A pat on the head, a scratch under the chin and they were soon licking and rubbing all over me delighting in the attention. From that day on, I would routinely stop at the house, go in the yard and play with them and bring them treats. We became best of buds for many years! They were really sweet and loving creatures that just craved some attention.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,178 Posts
Frodo: I have built at least three defensive walking, cane sticks hard rock maple.....engraved, faceted, so the raised areas act as strike points all along the upper lengths....the rubber boot at the bottom covers a very hard sharp point hidden till thrusted into a hard surface breaking through or taken off.....reach penetration given.
the walking stick of unknown light very strong wood faceted 1/2 inch groves spaced raised 1/2 inches apart when I carved it total length spiraling down ... Fast responsive effective hidden in its purpose.....so when I get older it's all ready done.....

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
DOG and kids ...
Be most particularly aware around children of all ages.
[snip]
Pit bulls have a bad reputation! Especially in drug infested low income areas where they may have been used as guard dogs for the "stash" or trained to fight.
They have been raised to be openly aggressive. To the contrary, they can be sweet and loving dogs that may eagerly respond to any kindness [snip]
Deservedly so, in my view. Usually when a person is badly mauled the victim is either elderly or a child. As you say, know your breeds. Some dog breeds are prone to all kinds of mental problems. In-bred Dobermans have been know to "snap" as have pit bulls and other "fighting dogs." If a bicycle's unusual propulsion triggers a dog to give chase, one may imagine all too well what other things might set off a dog. I've heard of people in wheel chairs, for example, who have been badly mauled.

I think the single worst dog attack story I've read about was in West Virginia. Guy was out jogging in a forest glade when two ex-drug-dealer-fighting pit-bulls-gone-feral jumped him. Apparently the scent of his blood after the first couple groin and calf muscle bites drove 'em even more nuts. The guy even got pulled out of a tree by the duo. Dogs can often really jump. Anyhow, the story had a happy ending. He was able to hail a pickup truck and the guys extricated him and took him to the hospital emergency room... And, it being West Virginia after all, the good samaritans returned with a bunch of red-neck friends with shotguns and took care of the two bloodied feral dogs.

I have a friend who bought a real damaged, skittish and seizure-prone Italian grey-hound. Again, an improperly bred dog. Poor thing. At least it got a really conscientous and kind master.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
This is all well and good as these things go.. but dogs are pack animals, And the pack acts differently than the single dog. My pack works a problem much differently than a single dog does.

A recent example was a stranger selling something, roof repairs came to the door.. Immediately my two largest accompanied my spouse to the door .. flanking her and being good.. when the door cracked they advanced to a side by side posture .. the guy started his speel and spouse said not interested and the guy tried to block the closing of the storm door to get in a couple extra words I assume.. that is when the 100 pound Pit Bull behind him decided to growl.... The two dogs with my spouse thought the salesman's reaction was the funniest thing they ever saw. So did we. Dogs use small unit tactics.. they will get behind you and time and coordinate attacks, watch your six. You get tunnel vision confronting the dog in front of you and you are going to get bit in the butt.
Well not necessarily the butt, that stereotypical pants legs grip small dogs often use .. when used in anger, is an attempt at the Achilles Tendon or leg calf to lame you. As in, as the big bad wolf said, the better to eat you.

If you have to go defensive a little fire is a good thing, or pepper spray.., I have ultra sonics, which work at a safe distance.. it is a little larger than a pistol , but lighter to carry, too big to conceal, but not illegal to open carry and doesn't look like a weapon, more like some kind of electrical test gear or monitoring device, sort of a small short straight barreled megaphone about 3" in diameter... and can be adjusted to be above the range of human hearing so it doesn't alert humans in the area and dogs whimper and run, not bark, when hit with it.. actually better above human hearing for dogs, mine on full power can do actual damage and inflict real pain, to the ears and hearing, sort of like "set to stun". about 120db. About like shooting full bore without hearing protection.. except shooting is brief bursts .. this is continuous as long as I hold the trigger down. I can set it to rapidly pulse sound as well.
Respectfully, AmmoSgt, I'm allergic to dogs... So I don't have any around--maybe I could get one of those hideous Peruvian hairless dogs. Where we really differ, is that neither I nor my significant other simply DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR at all unless I am expecting a delivery, a repair man/plumber/exterminator-pest control person, or I am familiar with the person. If the door is opened, there is the steel security frame with screens and bars in front of the door, which always remains locked. High-tech gizmos and gadgetry and gew-gaws are all well and good, but a simple door lock is mighty effective...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.