Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Finned M91, the receiver is a 1894 Izhevsk, the barrel is a 1927 Tikkakoski stepped barrel. What would the date of this rifle be? 1894 based on the receiver or 1927 based on the barrel? Probably an easy answer for some, but confusing to me right now.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,294 Posts
I always date them in regards to the barrel date, as in my records of my collection. I do however make a note of any antique receivers and consider that rifle as being antique.

Most of the big dealers do it this way too. They advertise them and sell them according to the barrel date but if they know it has an antique receiver they sell it as an antique and do not require an FFL for the sale.

·
Registered
396 Posts
"Thread: How to date a Rifle"

One step at a time. Maybe ask the rifle's original arsenal (from the receiver) for permission first, just to start things off right. I'd also recommend the rifle be C&R eligible, just so there's NO confusion of age (you don't want the law comin' after you, if you use a C&R and the rifle's underage).

j/k

I use the date on the barrel and the receiver date as a cool factor/antique status (if applicable)

·
Registered
468 Posts
The receiver is the firearm, the barrel is just a part. Date the receiver was made and stamped is the date of the rifle. Of course, Layer Cake is probably more correct. With what I spend on some of these, I feel like I'm dating them.

·
Silver Bullet Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the clarification, also the joke(s) is one of the reasons this group is so great. Where else can you get a history lesson and teased all at the same time! Besides I kinda set myself up for that one without even knowing it at the time, LOL.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
That's the beauty of Finn Mosin Nagants; they never made a single receiver (AFAIK). It is a wonderful conglomeration of history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.