Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,245 Posts
I'll assume you're referring to PUs, and the following will be PU specific.

A good first step (and one that can be checked even in pics taken at a distance providing no sling is installed) is to look at the rear sling slot. If it isn't either a full pressed liner or a half liner, there is a 99.9% chance that the gun isn't a "real" PU sniper. The only way would be if someone has changed the stock, or if the gun has been refurbed somewhere very offbeat.

Beyond that, it will have to be a '42 or later. For Izhevsks, look up the serial in this thread:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?53514-Izhevsk-91-30-sniper-list

Be sure import mark isn't partially covered by the scope mount/base (sure sign of a "resniper"). Look out for flat screwheads on turret knobs (sure sign of repro PU scope except in rare cases). Mounts with prominent machining swirls on the outside (to left of rifle) of the mount will be repros. Most genuine mounts will, however, have prominent milling swirls showing on the inside (receiver side) of the mount. Leather scope cover threaded through the lightening hole in the mount is a very bad sign, though it very uncommonly is seen on a genuine setup.

That should get you started.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Be suspicious CAI imports. Lots of 38 and 39 Tulas were converted by them. If it is an Izhevsk it should have the scope serial number, stamped or penciled, on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver. If a Tula........CH on the top of the barrel. Other than that, Ol has you well on your way. Go to the stickys section. Good thread there on PU snipers also plus the mother ship, MosinNagant.net. If it is missing any of the features Ol listed it is not correct.........except for the scope cover threaded. That happens all the time by dealers, etc.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,090 Posts
Be suspicious CAI imports. Lots of 38 and 39 Tulas were converted by them. If it is an Izhevsk it should have the scope serial number, stamped or penciled, on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver. If any of the features Ol listed it is not correct.........except for the scope cover threaded. That happens all the time by dealers, etc.
Wayne a lot of the Izhevsks will wear their scope numbers on the left side of the barrel shank. But there are also a lot of legitimate PUs that have had those numbers completely scrubbed off. In these cases if you look closely sometimes you can usually see the scrub marks and maybe a tiny trace of an old number.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
As always you are correct. I have not seen a lot without any numbers but it does happen. Of course maybe all of them are in your refrigerator gun safe;). I have only ever laid eyes on one or two Tulas in the wild also. You guys have them all gobbled up.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,090 Posts
As always you are correct. I have not seen a lot without any numbers but it does happen. Of course maybe all of them are in your refrigerator gun safe;). I have only ever laid eyes on one or two Tulas in the wild also. You guys have them all gobbled up.
Wayne I just shot you a message. Hope to see you next month at Harrisburg

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Another quick thing to look for is to see if the scope has round head turret screws or flat head ones. No real PU scope has flat head turret screws.

This weeds out most but not all replica scopes which generally appear on replica or fake sniper rifles. Usually the lens caps have the thong threaded through the scope as well on the replica rifles.

The replica scopes on CAI replica snipers made up about ten years ago in Ukraine had flat head turret screws and replica Soviet markings, but these were regular PU rifles scoped much later for retail sale. These were replicas, not fakes, as they were not sold as real snipers by more knowledgeble staff at Big Five and elsewhere, but now they commonly appear sold as real snipers. They originally cost $499 at Big Five and shoot quite well for the examples I have seen. I have shot these to 2 MOA with good ammo and they are well done replicas.

Some homemade "snipers" have odd bolts, even the really awful screw-in turndown bolts or ones that just look bent wrong. After you have looked at enough rifles, you can often say one just looks wrong though there are significant variations on real snipers.

Sadly, some fakes and replicas are built on pre-1942 rifles that never could have been PUs, even on hexes. As said above, real PU Mosins are all 1942 or later.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It would be amazing if it has it's originally mated Scope and mount. Most Izzy PU's had the scope Serial Number stamped on the left side of the Barrel Shank. The number stamped there does not match the Scope Serial Number, so that is how you can tell the Scope has been replaced. It is a real PU Sniper, just not with Originally Mated Scope Components. I am having a hard time with the price paid though. Again, it seems 2 guys with too much pocket change inflated the value a couple Grand.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Wayne I just shot you a message. Hope to see you next month at Harrisburg
Have not had any PM's. PM has not been working for crap lately........or maybe it is just me. Not sure about Burg show. Off to Florida for spring games and then back. Our season starts the following weekend but I haven't worried about the schedule yet. Not sure where we are that weekend. I had a spendy February, but it was a couple of nice things, so I may be hiding under the porch. Better do my taxes to make sure I don't owe the federal leeches anything this year. May have to sell blood or a kidney. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.