Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I cannot see that thin front sight worth a hoot these days. No problem with the M1 Garand front sights but this Long Branch is so thin, that it disappears on me.

I am thinking of ordering a front sight from Springfield sporters and using JB Weld on it to fatten it up or finding a roll pin and slipping it on the existing front sight.

Question: Do you have any solutions for this problem before I begin discovery learning the hard way?

Thanks/

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
FWIW I think you are on the right track,using metal-epoxy (or cold-weld as some call it) should work,just build it up and then after it has set file it down to the correct thickness.Or you could just make a front sight blade from scratch,not difficult to do that either.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thick foresights

The fore sight on my No4 is quite broad. The ones on my SMLEs are narrower. Is there a chance that you have an SMLE blade fitted? (would one fit?)

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to HarryMac

All my No. 5 rifles and No.4 have these thin front sights. Now, I checked my No. 1 rifles and those are equally thin.

So....I am right now heading to the range with a roll pin on that sight blade which makes it fat and round. If it works, I will refine this solution. I suspect the JB Weld/epoxy solution might be the winning entry to my problem but this roll pin cost 17 cents so I will give it a try. Yes, its hollow but I filled it up with glue and painted the hole white so I got a black front sight blade with a white dot out there. This might work well on black bullseyes if I hold at dead center instead of a six oclock hold.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Parker Hale made front sights for the Enfield, below is a wider sight from a center bedded South African No.4 Mk.2.

See if any of the British or Commonwealth members have any for sale/trade.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
as indicated above, the government sight is 51 thou across but wider ones were available commercially, up to 100 thou, I think.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some solutions:

I have found a source for bren gun front sights and that might work and will post results upon their arrival. I have found no source for the PH fat front sights that have been recommended and if anyone knows of a source, pls let me know.

I press fitted a roll pin on the front sight of the No.5 front sight. Its fat and round of course and I filled in the hold and sprayed it with sight black. It makes the front sight higher of course so the muzzle goes down...so one has to adjust the rear sights up and for me, that was 11 kicks upwards.

It is not a permanent fix but it is on that front sight very tight and it held on the range with 50 rounds fired. I could see it and I was hitting the paper at 100 yards and actually, the sight is now a bit too big so my groups were about two inches but I am on the paper and this is a nice change to see that the carbine can hold a consistent group at this distance and I can consistently fire it and get a group with it. Before, the front sight just washed out and my shots were all over the place. If I were to use this carbine deer hunting at that distance, I would have no reservations to be effective hitting a deer with the roll pin on the front sight.

The roll pin is just a work around till I find a permanent solution but its was under twenty cents and it worked. You just got to not bang the rifle around and jar that pin off the front sight blade. It is actually nicely protected by the big sight ears of the No. 5 so it is kind of protected and should be fairly reliable. However, I look at it as a range shooting solution to a old age eye problem and a shooting assist category solution till I find correct fatter front sights to properly install .

THe bren gun front sights might be the solution and I will give it a try. I do believe, that the discovery of PH target front sights is most likely the final solution and that hunt looks to be a challenge at this moment.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
you will find Bren ones to be the wrong size for the dovetail. I have a million of 'em here.
Wide sights will get mixed in with standard ones in dealers' boxes - the height will be of more interest to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts