Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all: Please excuse this post but I am going ask the question anyway. I just purchased a new in the box Mak IJ-70 and the paperwork is dated 1994. Its been sitting for 13 years in the box.

My question, before I head to the range, should I break it down, clean and lube or what? If so, what do I need to pay attention to? Also, what should the first rounds be? I have some Sellier & Bellot in a 24 rd white box and what looks to be military ammo in a brown 16rd box. How many should I fire before it is considered broken in. I am new to Makarov and really like the feel. I want to take care of the pistol and intend to use it as a regular target pistol and backup defense weapon.

Thanks for your assistance. Cheers T.I.

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
Hello tweintraub,

Remove the slide and if you have some Q-tips clean with oil the inside of the slide and around the chamber and sear. Clean the barrel of course. If you see a lot of grease and / or dirt, you'll want to do a more thorough cleaning but if it's new in the box you probably won't find cosmoline and a fairly cursory cleaning may suffice.

Remove the safety and firing pin and lightly oil the firing pin channel and pin.

Then oil the parts that rub - the sear pins, along the frame rails, the hammer - just look at parts that interact and lightly oil them.

About that 16-round ammo: it is corrosive. If you fire that beware of the cleaning that follows.

Also - I'm looking for Chinese Military ammunition in 16-round boxes. Could you tell me the headstamp? I make a great buyer.

EDIT: I see you said it was S&B in a 16-round box. If it's S&B it will be in a 24-round white box with a headstamp "9 mmM S & B" - that is not corrosive. I may be confused about what you described?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Clean and Shoot

Buy about 500 rounds and blast away till they are gone, the clean it again.

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
... and: that S&B is fine ammo. There are good ammo suppliers on the internet, where most of us buy 9x18 in bulk. The current production Silver Bear HP or FMJ and the Wolf Military Classic are pretty inexpensive and greatly suitable. American ammo - Hornady and Federal American Eagle - are also good and are reloadable, but cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello tweintraub,

Remove the slide and if you have some Q-tips clean with oil the inside of the slide and around the chamber and sear. Clean the barrel of course. If you see a lot of grease and / or dirt, you'll want to do a more thorough cleaning but if it's new in the box you probably won't find cosmoline and a fairly cursory cleaning may suffice.

Remove the safety and firing pin and lightly oil the firing pin channel and pin.

Then oil the parts that rub - the sear pins, along the frame rails, the hammer - just look at parts that interact and lightly oil them.

About that 16-round ammo: it is corrosive. If you fire that beware of the cleaning that follows.

Also - I'm looking for Chinese Military ammunition in 16-round boxes. Could you tell me the headstamp? I make a great buyer.

EDIT: I see you said it was S&B in a 16-round box. If it's S&B it will be in a 24-round white box with a headstamp "9 mmM S & B" - that is not corrosive. I may be confused about what you described?
Thank you so much for the input. The S&B is in a white box of 24. The other brown box is stamped on the box 9mmM then 383 then 78 and comes in box of 16. The rounds are stamped 04 and 78 and have a red band around the base of the copper bullet and a red around the primer. No there markings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the input. The S&B is in a white box of 24. The other brown box is stamped on the box 9mmM then 383 then 78 and comes in box of 16. The rounds are stamped 04 and 78 and have a red band around the base of the copper bullet and a red around the primer. No there markings
BTW...I paid $3.50 for 16 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
tweintraub, I'm sending you a PM about the 16-round box, and that is corrosive ammo.

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Ain't hard to do

Field strip it, throw it in a bath of ED's RED over night. Take it out next day, blow it off, clean the firing pin chanel, wipe it down, put it back together and shoot heck out of it. After @500 rds the trigger should be better. By the way while you're cleaning the gun don't forget to clean the mags.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Good luck and Good shooting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts