Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently won this rifle: Japanese Arisaka type 99 7.7 Jap rifle, sn 2550, 3 | Live and Online Auctions on HiBid.com

Note how the bolt is nice and open and functional.

I was finally able to pick it up from my FFL, and he said "Oh, by the way. I can't open the bolt. Did you buy it that way?" No. No, I very well did not.

Here's the problem. The bolt cannot be removed from the rifle. The safety appears to be on, and the firing pin surface is "ahead" of the sear. I snapped some quick illustrative pictures. The rifle's screws had already been unstaked, so I didn't feel too bad taking it apart in my FFL's basement.

Wood Flooring Personal protective equipment Hardwood Auto part

Camera accessory Gadget Fashion accessory Event Rectangle

Cylinder Metal Electronics accessory Titanium Composite material

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this happened and have not figured out how to fix it. I'm going to call the gun shop later in the week and see if it's their policy to turn their customer's guns into Chinese fingertraps. I'm legitimately very angry about this, because it's stupid, and some jackass obviously messed with a gun that wasn't his and decided it would be my problem since they already had my cash in hand.

I would appreciate any and all help. I'm tired of dealing with this.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
The same thing happened to me. My friend got me a rifle at an auction (it was fine) By time he got it from the pickup counter it was locked up. I took the ejector box off and got in there with a small pick. I pushed the sear down and wiggled the bolt around and I was able to get the bolt out. It took about a half an hour to do so.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I either send my stuff to an FFL that will wait until I'm there to open it, or try to get there before they can open it.

Now have my $30 03 FFL, which has now paid for itself many times over. Also saved guns from getting f'ed with by bubbas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I either send my stuff to an FFL that will wait until I'm there to open it, or try to get there before they can open it.

Now have my $30 03 FFL, which has now paid for itself many times over. Also saved guns from getting f'ed with by bubbas.
I've known him since I was 9 and went to college with his kids, I trust him with my guns and he's pretty familiar with Japanese firearms. This came from the shop I bought it from that way. I guess they were just terrified of dry firing it so brute-forced it closed.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
A friend of mine brought my a 99 with a stack bolt. After taking it completely down including removing the trigger I was able to get the firing pin in the right position it came out. When it finally came out I found out it was missing the firing pin spring. Put one in and it worked fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts