Gunboards Forums banner

How rare is a non welded 1935 ex pe sniper? Pics added

2K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  KAIFS 
#1 ·
Got a 1935 tula ex pe sniper today. Holes are not plugged and the threads are perfect. This is a hex reveiver and is marked CN and even has the scope number on top right of receiver. Sn has no prefix and is 20689.

This rifle has all tula parts(including the cleaning rod) which is odd.. Its been refurbed as the stock has been shellaced and reblued.

I have seen finn captures with unplugged holes but never a ex sniper.. How rare is this?

I would not dream of selling this and not looking for a $ number just a rarity question?

I assume this thing is ready for a scope mount to be attached and braught back to life. Will I be hurting the value by doing this?

Thanks folks

#2 ·
It's very rare if not welded up and fairly rare if welded. Very exciting find -I have never seen one not welded.
I have a variety of prewar Tula ex-snipers including a 1935 topmount which I rescoped, a horrible job to drill and tap six hard welds.
I think you only add to the value and fun if you rescope it -anyone who doesn't like it can just take off the scope.
It's unlikely you'll find original scope and mounts at a believable price -I have used Accumounts hex and round top PE bases and mounts very successfully, but you need to match the screws to your threads.
I like the Ukrainian PE replicas with the old style movable post a bit better than my Accumounts PE , but these scopes require you to buy a mount and base you may not need. The Ukrainian PEs are found on Gunbroker if he has any left.
Great find -I'm jealous! (now if you want to sell it...)

#3 ·
Neve heard of a non plugged refurb. Only when talking of Finns.

#29 ·
most of the finn snipers i have seen were never refurbed? and the one that was got refurbed probably pre ww2...(1935 pe) a tell tale sign of an original finn sniper is the absence of a refurb mark.. see those refurb marks and begin to wonder?????????????? kinda like looking at a 1936 izzy pem...

I wonder if this rifle is a finn. i would be looking at the reciever with a glass more closely and the tang date to see if it was rebarreled..the condition would tend to make me think it is not a finn..too nice

#7 ·
I will post up some pictures tomorrow for sure.
Im very excited about this one :)

I dont know what to consider it. I paid $125 total.
It is import marked..

#9 ·
That dark stock caught my eye in your group photo. Being a PE, if not Finn marked I thought Bulgarian or something like that.
Pics would be nice.

#14 ·
Heres a few crappy pictures, cant see the threads in this picture(Both sides had cosmo stuff in the holes) but other side you sure can.

Stock is prewar stock, all gear but the buttplate is matching tula.(Buttplate is matching but izhevsk so I take it a refurb part.

Attachments

#16 ·
The only thing that concerns me is there a way to prove this is legit and not the work of some master at rescoping?
I know its legit because I got it directly from importer pretty much.

But whats the difference between this and one someone has drilled?

Thanks

#19 ·
From conversations with Vic, that is not the scope number, but the mount number. This would have been covered up once the mounts were finally soldered and screwed together.

#26 ·
Fascinating, my 1942 Tula PU had the same dark finish, I am guessing that was also an unplugged sniper and the Ukrainians got it and rescoped it, evidently there were a big group of unscoped or desoped snipers that had this stock finish, it is very sloppy and covers the barrel bands.

#32 ·
I went back and looked for more today but all I found were pretty common stuff and almost no Tula's..
I was hoping there was a huge crate of these laying the back but I guess not..

#34 ·
PE sniper

ncreptile, does your rifle finish look like this? This was the CAI repro sniper made from a 1942 Tula CH that I posted some weeks back. Never saw anything like it, very dark red sloppy finish covering part of the receiver, barrel bands, rear sight, handguard ends, nosecap, cleaning rod and so on. I know the scope certificate I got with this says the scope was applied in 2000, but I have already replaced it with an original from karol98K, couldn't resist.

Attachments

#38 ·
looks great to me, sniper designation stamp on the top of the receiver. That dark shellac or whatever you call it is common. So what it is dark? Remember what Italian Prime Minister said about out president? :) "...young, handsome and also tanned, so he has all the qualities to agree with you..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.