Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
What restrictions are put on importing a SVD that differ from something like a PSL?

Is it dependent on the country of origin?
Country of Origin is a big one, they're also not considered "sporting arms" so they would either have to come in as parts kits with torch cut receivers or rebuilt as a "sporting" configuration and then reconfigured here to a military configuration while complying with 922r.

The Tigr rifles I believe came in under the "Sporting Arms" exception with some changes made to the rifles specifically for import.

Regarding the PSLs, we get alone better with Romania I guess. I don't have a great answer for you. I'm sure more knowledgeable member will chime in on the specifics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Country of Origin is a big one, they're also not considered "sporting arms" so they would either have to come in as parts kits with torch cut receivers or rebuilt as a "sporting" configuration and then reconfigured here to a military configuration while complying with 922r.

The Tigr rifles I believe came in under the "Sporting Arms" exception with some changes made to the rifles specifically for import.

Regarding the PSLs, we get alone better with Romania I guess. I don't have a great answer for you. I'm sure more knowledgeable member will chime in on the specifics.
As far as I can find all Russian firearms not explicitly listed by name as an exception were banned from import by I believe the H.W. administration. Saigas, Veprs, and the various Mosin models were on that list, which is they were allowed to flow into the US fairly easy prior to the Crimea invasion, however SVDs (and most other contemporary military configuration firearms) are not. PSLs are a different beast, since we don't have active firearms sanctions against Romania, and the ones currently coming into the country through Century are specifically built as sporters, and I believe are also built with some US parts. The NDM-86 is covered by what I assume would be the Clinton administration regulations against the importation of firearms from China. Any experts on the matter are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, if they knew what they could get some dumb American to pay for them eventually I bet they might have stored them away somewhere.
Not sure why you would need to be a dumb American to buy one.

A smart American would have purchased one years ago and enjoyed a huge increase in value.

Plus they are fun to shoot (I'm sure).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I can find all Russian firearms not explicitly listed by name as an exception were banned from import by I believe the H.W. administration. Saigas, Veprs, and the various Mosin models were on that list, which is they were allowed to flow into the US fairly easy prior to the Crimea invasion, however SVDs (and most other contemporary military configuration firearms) are not. PSLs are a different beast, since we don't have active firearms sanctions against Romania, and the ones currently coming into the country through Century are specifically built as sporters, and I believe are also built with some US parts. The NDM-86 is covered by what I assume would be the Clinton administration regulations against the importation of firearms from China. Any experts on the matter are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!
Current Cugir PSLs are built to comply with U.S. regulations, but no U.S. parts are used as far as I know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with that, but that's pretty much everything at this point.

No reason to buy now unless you really need it - or are pretty sure you won't be able to later...
I mean, not really....the same principle still applies, albeit maybe to a somewhat lesser extent. What looks expensive for collectible guns today will probably look cheap in 10 years. Just how it is.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.