Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously a field strip after a range trip. How often do you detail strip your mak? I have done mine once. I normally use gun cleaner with the cotton cleaning papers then remington oil on the moving parts. What does everybody else use? How do you do it?

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
I use Eezox because I think it's one of the best rust preventatives on the market, and will prevent fingerprinting. It also makes a makarov really shine. I don't know whether to trust "dry Lubricants" to properly lubricate, so after the Eezox dries I dab a bit of grease on the rails and other moving parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I'm just old fashion. If I'm not going to clean the Mak right away, I put a little Break Free CLP in the bore to soften things up a little. When it comes time to clean it, I use Hoppe's No. 9 solvent. I use Pro Shot Gold Lube on the rails. I use Prolix "Xtra-T" dry lube for internals. All five of my Maks run smooth and look great. :)

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
Well, I'm just old fashion. If I'm not going to clean the Mak right away, I put a little Break Free CLP in the bore to soften things up a little. When it comes time to clean it, I use Hoppe's No. 9 solvent. I use Pro Shot Gold Lube on the rails. I use Prolix "Xtra-T" dry lube for internals. All five of my Maks run smooth and look great. :)
Dick - that's old fashioned? I haven't even heard of some of those things!

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
I clean it every time I shoot it. I have a gallon can of Ed's Red that I pour into a metal pail. I remove the slide and the grips and I dry brush the bore. Then I put everything but the grips into the pail of Ed's Red and let it sit while I have dinner. Come back and scrub every thing with a nylon cleaning brush and wipe off the excess with a clean rag. Run a few patches down the bore and put the pistol back together. Done. Shermysan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dick - that's old fashioned? I haven't even heard of some of those things!
You gotta get out more, NB.

What I meant was that I'm old fashion because I clean my pistols with Hoppe's No. 9. ;) Prolix "Xtra-T" dry lube is the best heavy liquid lube I have ever used. It's blue and reminds me of the blue stuff S&W use to lubricate the internals of the revolvers with years and years ago.

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
I don't know if getting out more would help Dick, that stuff is not sold locally and is not discussed much (I don't think I've seen it ever) on the multiple forums I peruse.

But, I'm always looking for the next cleaner/lubricant. I'll get around to trying some.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i use Hoppes #9. Been using it since i was 12 and haven't looked back. If it's a weapon i'm shooting a few times a week, i'll detailstrip after about every 5th range visit. Ifit's something i shoot occasionally i'll detail strip after every range visit and spray a coat of whatever spray oil i nave handy (I like G96 gun treatment).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cleaning

I clean all my weapons after 500 rounds sooner if I have corrosive ammo. I use US Mil Surplus Rifle Bore cleaner and CLP to lube. I wipe down the mag and surface with a CLP cloth. The mil surplus bore cleaner smells stronger than Hopp#9

·
Registered
62 Posts
I field strip and clean after every range trip, kerosene to clean and ATF to lube.

Dang, mister goodwrench. Just kidding but perhaps a little over kill especially with a mak.
After shooting I use an aircompressor and then clean and lube with FP10. I only field
strip after perhaps a year depending on amount of rounds. Depending on ammo used
in my opinion it does more harm then good to field strip each time.

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
Oldguy, by "field strip" I assume he's just taking the slide off - something I'm guilty of every time I clean after shooting.

Someone asked earlier if Eezox goes bad. I bought some that had evidently sat on a shelf a loooong time and it had turned to gunk. I don't know how the volatiles evaporated but the stuff was real thick. I think if it's still fluid and gives off the strong odor (Warning - bad stuff - TCE) indicating the volatiles are still present it's Ok.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.