Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking out some options and wondered what to budget for a Garand.

My hope and expectations aren't centered on rare, highly collectible, etc., but rather on one that one might describe as "shooter grade," a gun that would allow me to get a feel for them, opportunity to shoot one, etc. Even something like a "put together" or some sort of modern replica would be fine.

For kicks, it might get used in a deer stand.

Any thoughts, or even suggestions on a version to try to obtain?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
If you are very patient and flexible on condition $1000,
if you are not very patient then $1500.

In a real hurry and want a pretty one? $2000

JMHO ;)

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
You can get an excellent example for $750 shipped to your door from the CMP. Free ship, no FFL involved. To YOUR door. Nothing less than $1500 will buy you a comparable Garand on the open market.

A word to the wise, should be sufficient.

Scroll down to 'RM1SERVICE'

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The CMP, $650 and up, 6-8 week delivery. The $650 gives you a mixmaster Special Grade that may be along the lines of what you call "put together" . $750 is Service Grade, $850 Field Grade. There are some prerequisites to be able to order from the CMP.

Secondary market, private sales, I'd say $850 and up, with $1200 budget giving you a number of options. At $1200 you start being able to make choices of manufacturer, period parts, etc, etc, etc.

I am thinking out some options and wondered what to budget for a Garand.

My hope and expectations aren't centered on rare, highly collectible, etc., but rather on one that one might describe as "shooter grade," a gun that would allow me to get a feel for them, opportunity to shoot one, etc. Even something like a "put together" or some sort of modern replica would be fine.

For kicks, it might get used in a deer stand.

Any thoughts, or even suggestions on a version to try to obtain?

Reactions: The_Nez

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was looking for the exact same thing, ended up with a really nice looking CMP service grade M1 garand through private sales for about $900 or so plus some shipping/transfer costs. I looked into the requirements for ordering one and having it sent direct but it wasn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I’ve seen M1s go for 650 to 3000. The 650 was a put together with a rubber buttplate and cutdown stock. The 3000 was an allegedly period correct Winchester. Shooter grades are 800-1200 depending on where you live. Get one with a good barrel. Other less obvious things to check are the tab on the operating rod. If this is worn down beyond spec the operating rod can jump the track in the receiver. There was a guy that could build up and reshape the track tab. I sent him an operating rod and he did fantastic work on it. Can’t remember his name though but maybe he’s still out there. Also the gas cylinders will wear at the six o clock position near the end of the travel. Just the nature of the beast. Another thing to look at is operating rod piston tip diameter. These can be replaced too if worn down by a competent gunsmith. The other good thing about the M1 is parts are very available. If it breaks or you wear something out or you buy one with an issue, you can fix it.

·
Silver Bullet member
320 Posts
CMP, can't be beat with excellent customer service and support.

Reactions: Dallased

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
CMP does not always have M1's in stock for purchase. So...buy from CMP and get your order in ...and be ready to
wait a long time. THis is not 2006 when CMP was over flowing and you got your rifle delivered inside 3 weeks time.

Buy the best grade M1 that you can afford from CMP.

Lots of craptacular M1 rifles on the market and easy to get burned badly. That won't happen with CMP.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
The CMP is your best bet for a "cheap" Garand but their stock ebbs and flows so its best to get your paperwork in ASAP and wait in line.

From a private individual or collector, lol good luck, 1000 for a rack grade these days. Up to 1500 - 2000 now depending on who made it and its date of manufacture.

Going the way of the M1 Carbines I'm afraid. Some people capitalized and are sitting on 20+ of them they gobbled up from the CMP and sell at insane prices now. The days of cheap surplus are forever gone I'm afraid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
100% agree with everyone here about the CMP. I got my Service Grade in earlier this year after waiting about 3 weeks, even during COVID (this was around the end of the summer). They also had an offer at that time to buy up to 400 rounds of 30-06 at a discount. Beyond that, I spent about $10 on eBay to get some extra clips.

I would recommend the Service Grade, but you could always get lucky with a Field Grade for $100 less.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CMP does not always have M1's in stock for purchase. So...buy from CMP and get your order in ...and be ready to
wait a long time. THis is not 2006 when CMP was over flowing and you got your rifle delivered inside 3 weeks time.

Buy the best grade M1 that you can afford from CMP.

Lots of craptacular M1 rifles on the market and easy to get burned badly. That won't happen with CMP.
I'm pretty sure they still have cases to unpack and work on, but you're right that they're starting to run out unless another big discovery happens somewhere in the world.

That being said, even with COVID, I had my rifle at my door in just about 3 weeks over the summer.

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
This subject has arose on CMP boards this past week and just trek over there, the Garand Junkies will update you by the second on CMP supply, condition and shipping. Just know....last summer was last summer !!! World has gone side ways since.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I would also recommend the CMP. It feels like a lot of paperwork but well worth the 30 min or less to put it together and get it ready to be notarized and mailed in. Yes, you’ll wait, and wait, and wait. But before you know 6-8 weeks will fly by and you’ll get the email or call it’s on its way, and again well worth the wait.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
CMP is sure the way to go for a M1 Garand. I packed one around in 1955 & '56 and thought they were about the best things going at that time. I ordered one from the CMP back in 1992 and received it in less than one month. It is in near mint condition with a mirror like bore and only one small nick in the left side of the wooden stock. I gave CMP the whooping sum of $90 for the M1 at that time. As I remember I believe I've only fired two 8 round clips through the M1 since I've had it. I hope to keep it near mint for as long as I'm alive. My kids and grand kids might have other ideas.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.