Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 8mm Mauser Gew 98, the bolt face has some significant pits. The firing pin hole looks good with no pits at least. Is this concern for shooting? I will post a picture of it here soon hopefully. Just wanted to get some thoughts on bolt action faces and pits.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
A primer ring caused by corrosive material leaking around the primer pocket is standard for old corrosive primed military ammo and guns......I ve always said provided the primer has solid support around the firing pin hole ,you are good to go.........In cases where the entire central part of the bolt face is a depression ,then a spot or two of TIG weld will fix what ails it..........In a bolt gun ,the depression will cause primers to bulge,but wont otherwise cause problems .(assuming primers dont perforate)..........In a falling block ,even a slight bulge will jam up the action,and need repair.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to take a picture, it is odd as its small pin hole pits all over the face, BUT not a primer cup circle ring like usually seen on old mil surps.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yes, spare bolt for sure. Looks like an electro-chemical reaction. Perhaps where a cartridge case was left in the chamber and the rifle was in a humid or salty air environment. Possibly could be micro-TIG'd by a knowledgeable welder.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel confident enough for the few rounds I’d put through this 1916 Gew. I’m going to test fire this rifle this weekend with a few mild PPU rounds. I’ll report back. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took her out and put 10 rounds each of PPU, Romanian steel case, and Turk brass case. All went down with out a hitch. Good accuracy for informal shooting at 100+ yards roughly. For an old 105 war pig. She still works A-OK. Bolt face showed some brass on it,but everything wiped off fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.