Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mormons reportedly recommend one year of food per person. Joseph of the Bible put away one fifth of the crop in the seven fat years, and had enough to share with neighbors during seven lean years. Dr. Strangelove calculated a self-sufficient remnant population would have to stay in deep mines for 100 years after a cobalt bomb type device went off.

I've leaned toward the Mormon side, one year seems reasonable and not burdensome, cost-wise or other.

I picture a (very) full pantry, plus a pound per day per person of dry beans, rice, oats, wheat etc., fuel in bulk to keep the tanks full. Plus one gallon per month per person of cooking oil, rotated every three years.

Like Joseph I would like to have enough extra to help a neighbor.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,109 Posts
interesting number on the oil,

I've not used that month in a year,
Indeed. A gallon of cooking oil a month for one person? That’s a quart a week. About 4.5 ounces a day. :eek:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,080 Posts
Indeed. A gallon of cooking oil a month for one person? That’s a quart a week. About 4.5 ounces a day. :eek:

wife and I like Calamari, and she is Celiac,
so we fry up a batch maybe 3-4 times a year, and don't use a gallon, total, maybe close,

we are about due for a batch,, may get some done up this weekend

can't beat freshly fried Calamari and some marinara

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,080 Posts
however, back on topic,

as a Celiac, my wife has special dietary needs,
so we keep GF products on hand,

probably not enough to say we are prepared or preppers, but still enough that will last a good while,

one thing I have noticed is that some brands of GF flours will sour over time,

most of what we buy now is off Amazon, and US stuff,
when she was first diagnosed, the US stuff was horrible, gritty, and expensive,
best deals were in Asian markets

however you had to be careful, since some lasted a long time and others did not

we use
Rice flour (white/sweet or brown)
Tapioca flour
Potato Starch
and a few others sometimes,

Xanthum gum used as a gluten replacement, (sparingly)

in Asian markets the Japanese brand of Potato Starch is the best, hands down
most of the Tapioca and Rice came from Thailand, and good quality,

I have bought from some Hispanic markets, but the quality is better in the Asian Markets, and the product fresher (surely due to sales volume)
the flours that soured were from a Hispanic market, I do not remember where it was sourced but we stopped going there and returned to the Asian market, no more problems

now with Amazon and other internet sources, we buy online and save the trip downtown

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right. The idea is these bulk staples are all you have, other than a little protein through local barter, fishing, wabbits etc.

So most of your calories are from a pound of boring crap per day. It's not quite enough so the oil rounds that out. As you say, a single gallon is a lot of food.

I figure if all you do is mix some in the rice you add concentrated calories and that special lipids mojo that our nutritionist friends could describe.

Plus fried anything may be all that makes you want to get out of bed in that situation, versus just more mush. (Fried mush.)

Concentrated calories: Lipids - fats and oils - are 9 cal. per gram. Carbs and protein are about 4.5 calorie per gram, or half as much. All foods are one or a combo of those three, not counting vitamins 'n minerals. An adult needs about 2,000 calories a day, including 3-4 ounces of protein (about 100 grams).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ETA on the preceding, one gallon of cooking oil per person per month: It occurred to me that most Americans already eat about this much fat and oil in our daily diets. About 1,000 calories per day, or a little less if you make efforts to trim it.

Most of those inputs disappear in a survival situation - no Big Macs, frozen pizzas or ice cream. No corn chips unless you make them, etc.

·
Banned
2,310 Posts
If someone lives in town, they can expect their personal rations to be part of the eventual survivors' roundup after a cataclysm.

If they live alone in the high plains, eventually they'll get noticed, and looking well-fed when everyone else gets skinny is a great way to attract attention.

Think loaves and fishes, not grasshopper and ant.

Also, water is a huge deal. If you have a year's rations but lack potable water, then you'll have to go where the water is.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Also, water is a huge deal. If you have a year's rations but lack potable water, then you'll have to go where the water is.
Absolutely.

One word: Waterbed.

Seriously. One in the basement would be good. It won't hold a year's worth but gives breathing room.

(A flowing well is the gold standard not available to most though. A hand-pump backup to the well pump would work for some. )

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,080 Posts
ETA on the preceding, one gallon of cooking oil per person per month: It occurred to me that most Americans already eat about this much fat and oil in our daily diets. About 1,000 calories per day, or a little less if you make efforts to trim it.

Most of those inputs disappear in a survival situation - no Big Macs, frozen pizzas or ice cream. No corn chips unless you make them, etc.

very valid point

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Absolutely.

One word: Waterbed.

Seriously. One in the basement would be good. It won't hold a year's worth but gives breathing room.

(A flowing well is the gold standard not available to most though. A hand-pump backup to the well pump would work for some. )
Not as good as you might think at first glance.
Water beds need water treatments to prevent bio-slime growth & other things. That would make it non potable (but it could be used for sanitary waste & so on).
Amazon.com : waterbed treatment

Making Your Own Waterbed Conditioner | DoItYourself.com

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
It's all about having a back-up plan a years food is good , but that is based on getting you thru until the next crop comes in .. what do you do when the #10 cans run out?
The fall back is knowledge.. not saying you need to start growing your own food , but having a hobby of gardening , even a small plot teaches skills and what you need to have on hand to do it.. it is also a good way to develop good growing soil ( better than twice the yield of food for the same amount of work organically since if you can't buy food you probably won't be able to buy fertilizer or seed either) .. that takes as much as 7 years of working a spot of land .. a lot of very good food bearing trees take that long to become good producers and how to handle some of the problems that come with Fruit and nut trees ( some call them squirrel and dove bait) and food grows all around you .. Eat The Weeds and other things, too - Foraging, Permaculture, and other things, too is a good place to start even in you just learn what already grows in your own yard

take ever advantage you can , try to have the edge in every survival situation

learning how to grow harvest and preserve as well as recognize food is a real survival skill a level or two above knowing how to open a can

think about rabbit hutch or a chicken coop for meat or eggs

rain catchment system/ rain barrels for long term water

storing a years supply of food for any number of people takes a lot of space

the guy with the biggest supply of #10 cans starves to death last yeeaaaa you WIN!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Since last October I have made from scratch most of our bake goods, rolls, bread,cobblers,cakes,pizza doe, and I can say I went through at least a half gallon of oil a month. That's with two of us. But let's face it I ate most of it, so if I was to stock up I would want at least a gallon of oil a month for my household at the minimum, a gallon per person wouldn't hurt. And at minimum I went through 5 pounds of flower a week, I would plan for more but everyone is different but I like bake goods

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Have you seen how much #10 cans of Mountain House beef stew has gone up? Wow.
You don't really need them, but there's nothing wrong with them as supplements and treats. I always regarded freeze-dried as primarily backpacker food, where the main consideration is how much weight can you hump.

Food storage for hard times at home is a different animal, and what makes sense for the trail may not apply for the bunker. It's easier when weight doesn't matter.

Most of what you need to figure this out comes in a simple two-part equation

1. An adult needs about 2000 calories per day, of which three or four ounces is protein (c. 100 grams).
Some of those calories want to be lipids - fats and oils - for good nutrition reasons, but lipids mostly represent concentrated calories for these purposes.

2. Carbs and protein contain around 4.5 calories per gram. Lipids provide 9 calories per gram.

The numbers for each food are on all the containers in the supermarket and you can take it from there.

Lipids get rancid in three years or less and must be replaced. Bulk foods like rice, wheat, oats, sugar etc. - mostly pure carbohydrate - last much longer, with some gradual erosion of nutrition value.

Protein gadually loses its mojo over time too but I don't know the details.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
2000 calories per day is good under normal or ideal conditions but you'll need more if you're under stress or working hard such as after a disaster, and it has been established that commercial storable foods are usually found lacking in nutritional value and are often higher in salt than most people are comfortable with.

Reactions: bigbang

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Since last October I have made from scratch most of our bake goods, rolls, bread,cobblers,cakes,pizza doe, and I can say I went through at least a half gallon of oil a month. That's with two of us. But let's face it I ate most of it, so if I was to stock up I would want at least a gallon of oil a month for my household at the minimum, a gallon per person wouldn't hurt. And at minimum I went through 5 pounds of flower a week, I would plan for more but everyone is different but I like bake goods
AmazonSmile: Piteba Nut and Seed Oil Expeller Oil press: Kitchen & Dining

How to make vegetable oil (happypreppers.com)

I got almonds pecans and hazel nuts , but they are just a back up got wild walnuts a short distance away that nobody harvests if I want them but mostly for oil I grow 3 or 4 rows about 30ish feet long of black russian sunflower oil seeds
Information About Black Oil Sunflower Seeds And Black Seed Sunflower Plants (gardeningknowhow.com) Information About Black Oil Sunflower Seeds And Black Seed Sunflower Plants (gardeningknowhow.com)

here's the thing you don't press until you need oil always fresh oil you just store the seeds like seeds until needed ... if you start now growing a batch you will learn how much you need and you will always have last years seeds to plant never rancid oil never the cost of endlessly replacing expensive short shelf life oil

if you get in the habit of always rendering any fat from cooking you have the main ingredient for soap and lamp oil/fuel

I always grow about 50% more than I need and use oldest first so I always have extra oil to trade cold pressed oils are a good thing to have to trade

also look into Ghee Case of Pure US Canned Ghee / Clarified Butter - twelve (12) 14 oz Cans (mredepot.com) and/ or make your own ghee How to Make Ghee on the Stove Top (thepioneerwoman.com) shelf life making your own is about a year if you follow all the storage rules .. you can look those up if interested

and again any oil that goes bad is lamp oil inculing those little terra cotta lamp or improvised lamps how to make a simple improvised oil lamp - Bing images

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
A couple goats might help. Milk, cheese or meat if worst comes to worst. Plus they eat anything.
that anything might be berry bushes and low hanging fruit tree branches , they prefer brush to lawn so precautions must be taken Mr Murphy says if the will eat anything they will eat the wrong things first

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.